• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7N400L Bios Update Issue (HELP!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a little update on my Project.

I Lapped the Retail AMD Copper core Heatsink that came with my 2500+ with some 1200 till I could see myself. I can still see some scratches but enough for now I will go over it more when I move it to another machine.

Artic Silver 3 applied and its still not cured yet but much lower temps.

Here is where I am at now, also I wrote down my stepping when I was cleaning up the Grey junk that AMD gives with there Retail HSF.

Current Overclock
AQXEA 0334SPMW ®© 1999AMD

(10*217-2170mhz+5%VCore)Prime Stable 44c/34c
Stock Copper Core AMD Cooler with Custom 1200g Lap (near Mirror finish)

I got 219 to work but needed to up Volts +7.5% for some reaons

Not bad for stock HSF, I am sorta stress testing this HSF so when I get some Cash for a REAL one and I move this over to the other PC that doesnt breath as well, I will know then when summer comes around it wil be safe at stock speeds or slight Overclock.

I need to get my temps down a bit for that same reason, Office is upstairs so it get hot up here in Summer. :( and I am not giving up my Speeds in the Summer, hopefully I can stay on air.

Nice one!!! and a very good Barton aswell if the stepping is anything to go by. Week 34 AQXEA and to top it off a Y, you lucky........
Hood

Thanks, its been sitting in my spare machine for awhile at stock speeds. I swapped motherboards and CPU when I built my new one being my new machine was a POS and still isn't stable. OH well maybe an RMA will give me something else to play with like some stepping that will let me 11x200 at stock Volts. ;)

With that stepping but a 9 rather than a Y I got 10.5 x 225 on stock voltage, the Y's are supposed to be better than the Z's which are better than the 9's.
Hood

SiSoft sandra and a gigabyte application give very different CPU temp readings for my Xp2500+ setup in a GA-7N400L motherboard.
Which one do i trust?
The gigabyte temp is in the mid 50's idle, then climbs to the high 50's under load.
The Sisoft sandra temp is about 30 idle, then climbs to the high 30's under load.
I am running the standard heatsink and fan that came with the processor.

thanks 3sixes, but that gigabyte app that i mentioned the high 50's temps is easytune 4. I will have to test it tonight, but by the looks of the thread that you linked me to, siv157h from gigabyte will give the same temp at easytune 4.

Is this basicaly my answer, take note of the gigabyte temp and ignore the sisoft sandra?

dj4hill,
You are correct that easytune and the other giga app are your best bet .

Sandra and many other reporting apps mis report on nforce2 boards.

Laterz,
3sixes -aka-dafanman

OK so it looks like the high reading is the correct reading.
Next question why is it so high? i have had the FSB up to 200 giving 11x200=2200Mhz and this is able to run both sisoft sandra and prime torture test at same time without error (+7.5% CPU volt). When this is done temp get to 64. but all is stable. Surely this is way to high?

dj4hill,
Processor temp is read from the cpu die on these boards so it will show a higher reading than say a via board comparatively speaking

On older, and via based boards cpu temp is read from the socket which will show cooler as compared to a cpu actual temp reading.

Then again, it dosent seem to be an exact science, so the best we can do is to assure that we have adequate cooling and case air flow.

If you are stable , dont sweat it.

Laterz 3sixes -aka-dafanman:cool:

Hmm.. I have to up my volts +5% to be stable at my speed and +7.5 to cross the 2.2 mark. Did you do the CPU burn-in thing to yours? if so is it ever "Too late" to do it?

Also on the Temp readings SiSoft sandra reads your case temp as CPU temp. I use Motherboard Monitor and it seems the best for me. Just make sure you select your motherboard during setup.

The gigabyte board seems to have 3 temp sensors and from playing around it seems there are...
ITE8712F-1 Motherboard
ITE8712F-2 Case
ITE8712F-3 CPU Die

Thinking about it 1 may be the socket temp and 2 Motherboard.

Also if you updated the Bios on this your temps will be 10c+ on the CPU temps.

dj4hill what heatsink came with yours? The Alum. one that came with mine sucks but the Copper one that I had from my older one is nice after lapping it.

Mine came with the alum. one. I have the latest bios on my motherboard, so the +10oC thing applies i suppose. Still it just scares me when i see a 65oC temp!

I might take the hetsink off, give it a polish and replace the heat mat with some proper goo.

Yeah and when you say 'burn in thing' i guess you mean the siSoft sandra test setting, i think that this is just their name for a 'torture test' (as in prime95)

no, there is a thing called "CPU Burn-IN" where you run it high volts but low speeds and low temps for a long time and they say you can end up with better overclocks at lower speeds.

I need to run +5% volts on my VCore to be stable at my speeds 10*217 and I really would like to push 2200 on stock volts so I can keep using this heatsink for a bit.

This is the one that came with my barton, I lapped it till I could see myself in it and seated it with some nice Artic silver. Lowered me 7c with load. :)

http://prixmateriel.com/images/ajigo_MF035-032.png

Back