• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC build components Compatiblity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wowbreakdown

Hello Forums people :D
This is my first time Building a system and I am Going to pull the trigger on it this week or next week possibly and I wanted to get everyone's analysis of my build to make sure i haven't forgot anything or have a component that is not compatible with another.
This PC is for Gaming and Photoshop mostly

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$50
MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 -$170
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150 -$200
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB -$520
PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V -$80
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache -$65
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 -$80
DVD Drive: ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT -$19
OP: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit -$100
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -$35
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G -$9

All coming to a total of around 1,500 with Tax and shipping from Newegg.
The reason I have a 600W PSU is because I already have a 600W UPS (back up battery).
I am going to buy another 8GB stick of ram soon after so ill have 16GB for Photoshop and then eventually upgrade to 32GB.
I am planning on playing games at 1080P at 60fps target with most settings maxed for a few years to come so that is why i chose a GTX 780.
I chose Windows 7 cause I don't like Windows 8
I am also not planning on overclocking anything. lol I know you overclockers probably will tell me that I'm an idiot but I really don't care about overclocking unless something is getting bottlenecked and I don't think my CPU will Bottleneck my GPU (at least i hope not) :chair:

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$50
Much nicer cases exist for $50-60. Corsair 200R perhaps?
MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 -$170
Asus Z97A is what you want. Don't buy Z87 at this point
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150 -$200
If you're getting a motherboard capable of overclocking, your CPU should be capable of it too. Get a 4670K. You can afford it with the money you just saved on the motherboard
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB -$520
6GB versions exist for <$600. It's worth it.
PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V -$80
A low end PSU for a high end build but it'll get the job done. Perhaps a Seasonic SSR instead? Just a thought..
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache -$65
I vastly prefer Western Digital Blue or Black drives.
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 -$80
Buy RAM in matched pairs, always. Don't buy 1 stick now and another stick later.
DVD Drive: ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT -$19
OP: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit -$100
That's so 2010. :) Get Windows 8.1. You can mod it quickly and easily to work like Win 7.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -$35
Won't get you anywhere. If you want a decent overclock look into a big air heatsink like an NHD14 or go water with an H80i or H100i. I prefer air though.
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G -$9
Last time I used this stuff I slipped and fell off my dinosaur. :p. Seriously though, it performs terribly from a thermal perspective, it conducts electricity, so get a drop on a connector or in the cpu socket and your motherboard becomes a frisbee. So many reasons not to use this. Your HSF will come with compound. If you really want to buy your own look at MX4.

Hope my humorous, but still totally helpful post helped you. :)

+1 to most of above...

My take...

Cooler is fine for moderate overclocking. I would bet 4.3Ghz+ depending on the CPU. Another $50 for the NHD14 may get you to 4.5Ghz+...

OS - Up to you. If no fiddling wanted, go W7, If you can take the 5 mins to have it look like it, W8.1 for sure.

I got used to Win 8.1 in 2 days. Initially there was some shock but peeps on the forum showed me how to install classic shell and now I know my way around.

Also a heads up if you're near a microcenter, you can get a 4670k for cheaper than the 4570

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413251/Core_i5_4670K_34GHz_Socket_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

/edit

They also usually have great deals on motherboard/CPU combinations if you're not completely set on any specific boards. As for the unlocked vs locked CPU bit, if there isn't much of a price difference then its worth it to have an unlocked CPU if you ever decide to go that route.

Personally i'd stick with the Seagate HDD. I have had countless HDD's die on my now, so far its mainly WesternDigitals while only 1 Seagate has died. Currently running 4x Seagate in my NAS too, and they do a fine job.

Windows, personally i am sucker for W7, cant be bothered to deal with W8, why should i NEED to spend time changing what shouldnt need chaninging in the first place.

Apart from that, i do agree on most the changes ocnoob is suggesting.

Back