• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting better performance from 2060 then 1080ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

Hello guys,

I've been running a ROG STRIX 1080ti OC 11G for a while now..but just recently started playing some CS:GO...
I've noticed that with the 1080ti the FPS jumps around wildly... from 400 to 150 and in-between that range.

The 2060GTX has a flucuation of 30-40.. from 360-399 FPS.. basically it runs way better which should definitely not be the case!
That's CS:GO

Chrome for ex in youtube if i switch to fullscreen and move my wireless logitech mouse it stutters like crazy.. if i leave the mouse untouched it works fine! Also in normal window mode i can also move the mouse!
These things do not happen with the 2060 i got installed of now

So my question is..could this be some faulty memory or where would you start?

thanks

RTX 2060 is about 20% slower than a 1080Ti. I wouldn't judge performance on an online FPS game.... you don't isolate the GPU in that case... too many variables can change from round to round/minute by minute.

What about 3DMark? How do the cards compare there (or any other synthetic/repeatable test)?

9968 was the score i got with my current system.. but all the issues went away with the 2060 so there is definitely something wrong with it.. i just don't know what

I'm confused... what is the issue with the RTX 2060? Just the choppy video? Have you tried different drivers? The latest? If so, roll back? Try disabling HW acceleration in the browser? Checked task manager to see if there is any odd CPU use or something?

Sorry about the confusion.. i`ll try to explain again:

For 2 years now i ran:
Core i7 7700k
32GB DDR4
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080ti OC 11G

Performance in full screen youtube VERY BAD
Performance in games Extremely BAD (high FPS fluctuation) (CS:GO high fluctuation and stuttering if i have chrome open or if i run the game at max settings.. It's CS:GO, not crysis :)) (DeusEX Mankind divided was unplayable until i disabled vsync)

Then i upgraded to this:
Ryzen Threadripper 3970x
64GB DDR4 3600
Same Strix 1080ti

I also bought a 2060 for the old hardware to sell it and tested to see how my Ryzen System would react to the 2060... Once installed all the issues went away... Chrome is snappy as hell, even in fullscreen. CS:GO FPS have stabilized with max settings...So it's definitely the GPU, but i cannot understand what would cause this since 3DMark gives a 9999 score which is up there with the rest of 1080ti's

I hate it when there are "weird small issues" with expensive hardware kits :)

In Taksmanager i have 2% utilization when playing CS:GO so it's not the CPU since the card behaves the same on both the old and the new system

So you had the same issues on both systems with the 1080Ti and on both systems the issues are gone with the 2060. Is this correct?

Tell us about your monitor? Make? Model? Gsync compatible or just Freesync or neither?

Yes, issues continued even when i changed all the hardware around the GFX.

So with my old setup I ran a samsung 82 inch TV through my 1080ti and the fullscreen issues are happening on the TV
Once i bought the Ryzen setup, i also bought an AOC 144hz monitor with 2 HP's for a tripple monitor setup. Using the AOC i don't get fullscreen issues on youtube, CS:GO still has the same framedrop issues. The monitor is set to 144hz.

Another thing i noticed... if i have both my AOC and TV plugged in, from time to time during the day the AOC goes black and then back, black and then back, just like it is losing its signal. If i unplug the TV, the blackouts stop...just noticed if i just launch cs:go the AOC monitor goes into lots of blackouts (the TV is off btw :))

As i said.. this gfx is weird! :)) did a clean reinstall of the drivers... no change

So you are running a dual monitor setup with one being an 82 inch TV and the other an AOC computer monitor. Correct? And you have used this dual monitor setup with both the 1080Ti and the Rtx 2060. Correct?

Yes!
When i tested the 2060 (just 2 days in my current Ryzen system), the Sound popping goes away (since my TV is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha RX3080 and from there to my GFX. So you can imagine how frustrated i am to have these minute issues with all this top tier hardware), the FPS stabilize, youtube is not stuttering in fullscreen anymore. I wrote ASUS, and they blatantly send me away to the retailer i bought the card from. I bought it from Ebay so although it still has a warranty until 11.2020, they cannot help me. I realize that the issues i`m having are not due to the performance of the card.. it must be a bad silicone since benchmarking is on par with the 1080ti
Doing a clean reinstall did fix CS:GO. I`m not facing anymore stuttering ingame, although the FPS jump around wildly and i did lower settings to low and medium, vsync off, trilinear from anisotripic.. So i crippled the visuals for performance..once thing i should not have to do with an 1080ti and an age old game :)
For a Test i enabled some of the settings back.. and now 200fps show up like 22-25 barely smooth

Back