• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting files off Windows 95 computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

What's going to be the easiest way to get files off this computer?
It is probably just a few hundred MB.

I'm guessing it doesn't have USB.....no burner....files too big for FDD (plus I'd have to buy a FDD which is not happening)

What about network transfer to Windows 7? How could I accomplish this?

+1 for pulling out the hdd. as long as your motherboard supports ide drives, you should be able to read the data off of it from another pc. while you could set up a network share, i am not sure i would want to jump through the hoops...

I would also yank it out of the computer and either plug it into the machine you want to put the data on, if it supports it, or use an external PATA to USB enclosure.

I don't remember first hand, but remember reading that there are steps to take to modify Win7 to see older machines. Unless you didn't want to mess with changing settings, another scenario could be to set up an FTP server on the Win7 pc and the login and transfer files with the Win95 computer.

fixed... save urself 32 bucks.... the ebay ones work like a charm.

hell you can get one with a 4 pin power adaptor for 6 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/W1504-USB-2-0-I...059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a622d8b13

but like stated... the easiest way is gonna be to pull the hdd, when ppl need their files off their old comps at work and transfered to a new comp / external hdd.... i just pull the old comps hdd, its so much faster not to have to deal with an old *** roten OS etc etc.

Be easier to just load a copy of puppy on it or other low req, Linux. Then use samba or another copy of liveCD to grab the files. Via, CIFS. Maybe NFS.

Cost, two discs. Or you could even go one disc and one USB. or if the BIOS supports USB booting, go with 2 USB sitcks.

No reason to buy, when you can forage around your home and download tools.
\
Linux supports so much and works great if you understand the basics. Less limits on older stuff then.

You could use your router as a SMB pass through if you have a good router that supports smb mounts. Even a machine configured temp to do so for you. FAT/FAT16/FAT32 is VERY WELL supported in many things.
All you need a a network cable and creativity

I vote for switching the hard drive to the computer where you would like to copy the files to. It should only require your time, no $$$

the devices (or one similar to it) that theflyingrat & nd4spdbh2 suggested would certain be a worthwhile investment if you ask me. if you fix computers on occasion, it will definitely come in handy. so much nicer than having to open up your case to hook up a hard drive temporarily.

while i could easily toss in a linux livecd to transfer the data over the network, not everyone knows linux well enough/comfortably enough to do that. it all just depends on what you feel comfortable with.

the devices (or one similar to it) that theflyingrat & nd4spdbh2 suggested would certain be a worthwhile investment if you ask me. if you fix computers on occasion, it will definitely come in handy. so much nicer than having to open up your case to hook up a hard drive temporarily.

while i could easily toss in a linux livecd to transfer the data over the network, not everyone knows linux well enough/comfortably enough to do that. it all just depends on what you feel comfortable with.

echo echo echo :chair: :beer:

Ya i dont often repair computers at home where i need to pull the hard drive... but one of those lil usb pata / sata to usb dongols is invaluable... it makes life so easy.

Back