• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting ready to OC, but Q6600 has some weird temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typci

Registered
Been a long time since I've been on here, but just added some new parts and need to do some research.

I bought a Q6600 SLACR, and a PC Cooler HP-1216V. I think the heatsink is a China only brand, not sure if other countries have it. It is a vertical heatsink, with 5 copper heat pipes on each side, aluminum fins, two 12cm fans, and weighs 680g.

The temps readings were done and are as follows:

Stock voltage and speed.
Room temp is prob around 23-25ºC, or whatever temp it is outside (unfortunately Chinese apartments don't have AC's in the living room).
Prime 95 ver. 26.6.1.0, In-place large FFT for 10 mins
Temps read by Core Temp 0.99.8 are: 56,52,52,56ºC

Core #0 and #3 are 56ºC, and #1 and #2 are 52ºC. To me that seems like a big difference.

My first thoughts are: bad mount or uneven surface on either the cpu or heatsink. I think when I used my old heatsink I also saw a similar temp difference. I'll have to use the old heatsink as a final test. I got plans to lap the CPU & heatsink after I learn how to ask for "sandpaper" in Chinese.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone else ever saw temps like this on the Q6600.

Also, what can be expected of the Q6600? I know it's a good overclocker. I know my motherboard can handle at least 385mHz FSB, probably a good bit more. I'm expecting to hit 80-90ºC with overclock. I saw the Tj. Max of 100ºC, and while I don't want to kill my processor, I don't mind shortening it's lifespan a good bit. I ran a E4300 at around 90ºC for 3 years and it still is working fine.

Thanks for your help, and in the mean time I'll read some posts to see what others have done with their Q6600.

Update:
Remounted the heatsink. I went to articsilver.com and followed their directions. I noticed their were some very small gaps on the bottom of the heatsink where the heatpipes meet the base of the heatsink. I filled the gaps in according to artic silver's directions and remounted the heatsink. New temps are 2ºC lower, but that is probably due to the room being colder since it is night time. However, the 4ºC gap in temperatures between cores #0 and #3 and #1 and #2 was still there.

Last edited:
The differences in core temp's that you're seeing are normal. As far as the max. overclock for a Q6600, and depending primarily on the VID of the chip and cooling efficiency, you can expect between 3.4 and 3.6GHz on average.

Back