• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Asus board for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I am about to move on,to a p4 system, but I need a board. I think the Asus p4c800 is a bit too much for me now.I am hoping to get a board out of these around $100-$150
ASUS P4C800-DLX Intel 875P, 800MHz Dual DDR400 more info $220
ASUS P4C800E-DLX Intel 875P more info $244
ASUS P4P800 Intel 865PE more info $137
ASUS P4P800-DLX Intel 865PE, 800MHz Dual DDR400 more info $160
ASUS P4P800-E-DLX $169
ASUS P4P800-S Intel 848P more info $104
ASUS P4P800-VM Intel 865G more info $132
ASUS P4P8X-SE Intel 865P more info $103
ASUS P4R800-VM ATI 9100 IGP more info $107
ASUS P4R800-V DLX $153
ASUS P4S8X-X SiS 648 8X AGP more info $75
ASUS P4S800 SiS 648FX 8X AGP more info $86
ASUS P4S800-MX SiS 661FX w/ VSL more info $96
ASUS P4S800D-E DLX SiS 655TX more info $133
ASUS P4SGX-MX SiS 650GX w/ VID/LAN/AUD SDRAM/DDR $65
ASUS P4SP-MX SiS 651 Prescott Support $75
ASUS P4V533-MX VIA P4M266A more info $72
All prices are based on cdn dollars
Thanks

I think that the P4C800 is a good board, but if you dont want to pay that much, try a P4P800.

I bought my P4C800-E Deluxe as a refurb from Newegg for $110. The refurb price on this mobo seems to vary from $110-180 (I don't know why). Mine was a full retail box, but you never know when buying a refurb.

I see, but this P4c800 is off my budget right now. So I cant even think of it.

P4PE Deluxe IMO is a very solid Ocing board in general for 865P chipset with PAT or the ABIT IS7.......but if you have more loot to shell out......like the earlier post say you cant go wrong with the P4C800-E Deluxe mobo..........

I have the P4P800-DLX. . . AWESOME BOARD.. got this 2.6 to 3.4 on air fairly easy

Z

got my vote for a P4C800-E Deluxe as well. stear clear of ABIT's IC7-MAX3....personally i dont like ABIT's boards at all, but thats my opinion.

welcome to the P4 sickness..... 2.4 = high fsb with air cooling, might get more with water... 2.6 = forget it. 2.8 = not worth it, get a 3.0. 3.0 = most popular overclocking intel cpu right now. some get 4ghz on air, or close to it. 3.2 and 3.4 are not worth it, though daos did good with his and a vapo. stear clear of prescotts unless you have extreme cooling and dont get an EE unless you have $900 to spend on a cpu.

ive got a question though. why is this in the cpu section? this is a question for a motherboard, and theres a section for it. here

PM a mod to have it moved ;)

I am hearing and spoke to a guy who flashed his ASUS P4P8X in to a ASUS P4P8x. And ive told Asus has move problems with memory dividers.

Another count for P4C800-E Delux. The least problems!!!

just one really; under load the vcore droops but it depends on how much vcore you need to be stable, other than that people complain not enough vdimm (2.85).

Edit: The P4P series is only good if have clockgen.

Last edited:
Then board to get. Not the P4C800. Anything from Asus, with good overclocking.

NoteUser said:
Another count for P4C800-E Delux. The least problems!!!

just one really; under load the vcore droops but it depends on how much vcore you need to be stable, other than that people complain not enough vdimm (2.85).

Edit: The P4P series is only good if have clockgen.

that can be easily fixed, there is an easy volt mod for this board. :D

gustav said:

that can be easily fixed, there is an easy volt mod for this board. :D

I was aware of that awhile ago. I don't care much for the vdimm even though I have BH6 but the droop I'll need to do that later on. I have reason to beleive that is holding me back in my own testing:D

The mods do look simple though, but it's the soldering skill needed especially the vdimm unless someone takes the smd route.

NoteUser said:

I was aware of that awhile ago. I don't care much for the vdimm even though I have BH6 but the droop I'll need to do that later on. I have reason to beleive that is holding me back in my own testing:D

The mods do look simple though, but it's the soldering skill needed especially the vdimm unless someone takes the smd route.

yeah i wouldnt trust my sub-par soldering skills on my board. SMD grabbers all the way.

If you want to run P4C/P4E's fast, & reasonably cheaply, using an Asus mobo, try the P4P800 (non-dlx).

~100 U$D, w/free delivery from ZZZ or Newegg.

Full featured BIOS (similar to the P4C800-E), very fast, very stable, & no extra frills. Pretty much as fast as a P4C800-E, but 60% of the price, 'cuz your not paying for any extra bells & whistles. It's based on the 865P chipset, though, vs the P4
C800-E's 875P. But w/the MAM option in the sys mem section of the BIOS, the mobo can be 'pseudo-PAT' enabled, which is pretty darn close to full 'PAT'. In fact, ctiaw will show either 'Full PAT', at stock FSB, or 'Partial PAT' when OC'ed, depending on your BIOS rev, and how you config your BIOS settings.

I've got a P4C800-E & a couple P4P800's - The performance is very, very, close. The P4P800's definitely are the best bang-for-the-buck.

I use the P4P800's exclusively for Distributed Computing, & run 'em through a KVM. Excellent price/performance ratio, IMHO.

If the new Pressie steppings come out lookin' good, I'm doing another P4P800 build immediately, for DC crunching. :cool:

Yeah...I like the P4P800...A LOT! :D

Strat

Back