• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU constant full throttle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omniscience

Registered
i did a fresh install of windows 7 64bit for my friend. Has a Nvidia GeForce 8800 gts. the card is running at full blast constantly . i already went down the driver route and that is pretty much ruled out. all drivers are good. the fan is really annoying . any one have any suggestions to fix this problem.? thanks in advance

-also thought it was important to note whenever i reinstall the latest driver at one point during the download the resolution goes to the smallest setting while it downloads and the gpu calms down to normal levels then the install finishes up and goes back to the regular 1080p resolution and back to100% load

- weirdly enough only the GPu memory clock shows being 100% while the gpu clock sits at 0%

some specs
500 watt PSU
amd phenom 2 940BE
geforce 8800 gts
Windows 7 64 bit premium
4 gigs ddr2 ram
m2n32 deluxe asus mobo

Last edited:
Post a pic. w/ MSI Afterburner open showing the min. and max. core, shader, and memory clocks, temperature, and fan speed. Also post the model of card, and the current drivers installed.

this should be everything :(

temps are never that high usually at 32C on idle

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 221
  • Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    80.7 KB · Views: 220
So was this just a routine reformat of an already built system, or were you doing a hardware or OS upgrade?

Can you find anything running amongst the processes, including Afterburner itself, that might be putting a load on the card? Do any other programs or utilities start with Windows that might do it? I'd try unchecking everything in the startup list in msconfig and rebooting to see if anything changes.

When you installed Windows, did you make sure you had the latest version of the chipset drivers for the mainboard or did you use a CD? Did you make sure to install them before the VGA drivers?

You might also try updating your mainboard BIOS to the latest version if it's not already. Version 2205 apparently corrects some video card incompatibilities:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireless_Edition/#download

I dont see any GPU use in the screenshot you provided (4% max) but 99% use of memory usage is odd especially with no core use at all and those cards, last I recall didnt have memory temperature monitoring so its odd with zero GPU use, its showing such high temps on the core.

What exactly is 'cranked'? Are we talking the fan? I see the fan is at 60% on auto and your GPU temperature is 58C "idle". Something is up there. Perhaps reinstall the TIM, or blow the dust out of the heatsink to help lower temps.

Try reinstalling the driver or using an older one.

Last edited:
So was this just a routine reformat of an already built system, or were you doing a hardware or OS upgrade?

Can you find anything running amongst the processes, including Afterburner itself, that might be putting a load on the card? Do any other programs or utilities start with Windows that might do it? I'd try unchecking everything in the startup list in msconfig and rebooting to see if anything changes.

When you installed Windows, did you make sure you had the latest version of the chipset drivers for the mainboard or did you use a CD? Did you make sure to install them before the VGA drivers?

You might also try updating your mainboard BIOS to the latest version if it's not already. Version 2205 apparently corrects some video card incompatibilities:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireless_Edition/#download

what are these mystical chipset drivers you speak of sir? its a totally clean install he has 32 bit(x86) and i reformated and reinstalled windows 7 64bit. the fresh install comes with NO drivers. all the security packs video drivers etc all get downloaded through the update system once it establish a internet connection.i can see where i might have missed something here.

i will try the mobo update

I dont see any GPU use in the screenshot you provided (4% max) but 99% use of memory usage is odd especially with no core use at all and those cards, last I recall didnt have memory temperature monitoring so its odd with zero GPU use, its showing such high temps on the core.

What exactly is 'cranked'? Are we talking the fan? I see the fan is at 60% on auto and your GPU temperature is 58C "idle". Something is up there. Perhaps reinstall the TIM, or blow the dust out of the heatsink to help lower temps.

Try reinstalling the driver or using an older one.

well actually im a dummy lol the cpu fan was being the loud one. the gpu fan is fine but the card is still running when its not supposed too . idle temps are more closer to 30 degrees not 57~

10 min update-

: updated both the BIOS and mobo both didnt work. going to continue my driver search maybe i forgot something but i might just reinstall windows again and see where that gets me if i cant resolve this soon.

Last edited:
Chipset drivers... its one of if not the first thing one suhould install after the os..

Install the drivers from the mobo website and nvidia drivers from nvidia. Im surprised that 310.70 was suggested for that old of a card... may want to hot nvidia website up and doublecheck you have the right driver for that card.

Yes, ideally the first time Windows boots you should
1. Install the latest Windows service packs/updates
2. Install the chipset drivers for your motherboard
3. Install graphics drivers
4. Install everything else
-in that order.

If you haven't done this, especially if you haven't installed chipset drivers at all, you're definitely asking for trouble. If it was my machine I would go ahead and redo it before getting too attached to the current installation.

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you say the card is running when it's not supposed to? If the GPU fan isn't the source of the noise and your idle temps are ~30C then I'm not seeing the problem unless there's more to it.

Yes, ideally the first time Windows boots you should
1. Install the latest Windows service packs/updates
2. Install the chipset drivers for your motherboard
3. Install graphics drivers
4. Install everything else
-in that order.

If you haven't done this, especially if you haven't installed chipset drivers at all, you're definitely asking for trouble. If it was my machine I would go ahead and redo it before getting too attached to the current installation.

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you say the card is running when it's not supposed to? If the GPU fan isn't the source of the noise and your idle temps are ~30C then I'm not seeing the problem unless there's more to it.

i verifed that all drivers are installed and correctly downloaded.

what i mean is the memory clock is at 99% use and the temperature is at 58c meaning its acting like its being torture tested or something but its not.all its clocks are being used at a constant rate. it doesnt make sense.

Attachments

• Captureaa.PNG
    Captureaa.PNG
    45.2 KB · Views: 216
Try GPUz and see what it says.
Has the card ever had the dust cleaned out?

dust was cleaned prior :)

those dips i posted were from when i temporary lowered the memory clock in msi afterburner then reset back to default.

Attachments

• adadad.gif
    adadad.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 185
  • adadadefergefe.PNG
    adadadefergefe.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 151
Back