• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX vs GTS???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

I am thinking of getting a GTX460 1G video card in the near future and selling off my XFX 4850 1G card to help fund the change.

My wife has a MSI GTX 260 card in her system and it has shown no issue's but it looks like the 260 is fading away fast with the online sellers. My son has the Gigabyte GTX 460 1G in his system and has had no issue's with it either.

Money obviously is an issue with most and certainly in my case. What are the gains of the GTX over the GTS versions of the cards?

I have no intentions of SLI since I am on a AMD board and want to go back to Nvidia over the ATI that I have now, the only reason I have it is that it was sent to me as a replacement for a 9800gtx+ I sent in for RMA and it was my only option as a replacement card. DX11/10 are not an issue since I run a 32 bit XP OS and don't plan to move away from it in the near future.

Last edited:
Are you speaking of the GTS450 vs the GTX460? Personally I would always go for a 768mb variant of the 460 over the 450, unless I was on an extreme budget.
Both of the 460 cards are significantly faster than a gtx285 once they are OC'd and run extremely cool. I LOVE these cards, and I have been putting them in all my friends midrange builds.

The 460 is a far superior card. If it helps any, the GTS450 won't even beat a GTS250 in some situations, whereas even the 768mb version of the 460 will easily stomp a GTX285 once it is OCed, and even stock, will beat a 285 in most situations.

Have you considered the 465? I only got mine because it is close to the 460 in games (might beat it in one or two) and has more CUDA goodness.

It does burn more power but not enough to notice. The extra heat in nothing wild either. As far as sound gore; it is in the cooler.

The heat is one of the main things I was looking at and I know my wifes GTX260 puts out a lot of heat compared to the GTX460 my son has. I don't know what I am looking for when comparing them side by side basically is what I am getting at. What is the big one to be looking for:

1.Core clock
2.Stream Processors
3.Shader Clock

Im sure higher in all is best but if when looking at the GPU stats you had to go off of only one or two of the listed above would you go off of, the Core clock? then let the other two fall where they may?

Well the cores are not exactly the same (at least I dont think they are).

The core clock and shader clock are slower but the 465 has more CUDA cores. I can honestly say these cards are balanced in every way where performance is concerned with the 460 a tad faster in games and the 465 faster in encoding by a little bit.

Thanks all for the responses, I did some reading off of the search put up and think on an average looking at the comparisons I will end up going with the GTX460 1G. It's placing where is should between the 450 and 465 heat/wattage/performance wise and where I am not looking for a monster 480/580 card I think this will do everything I need for a couple of years.

The best my current monitor can do is 1280x1024 so res. wont be an issue and like I stated before I will be DX9 since I am limited by my OS, so its more a matter of fps and hardware vs software compatibility, this is where I really like the Nvidia vs ATI (not knocking ATI) its just a personal experience.

Thanks Archer did a bit more reading and I see what you mean by CUDA cores. I looked at the difference between the cards and noticed a large difference between the 450 and 460 on CUDA cores.

CUDA Cores:
GTS 450=192 Cores
GTX 460=336 Cores
GTX 465=352 Cores
GTX 470=448 Cores

So there appears to be a fair jump from the 450 to the 460/465 and then again from the 460/465 to the 470. Which should come in handy when gaming if I read things correctly and understood what it means (which I seldom do, just ask the wife). I'm starting to understand what you meant by balancing out between the clocks and the cores comparing the two. Which just means the more I learn the more convoluted it becomes :rofl:.

At that res, a 450 would likely be fine, but if you can afford a 460 1GB, that is what I would go for. Its the best bang for your buck by far in that lineup.

Back