• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HA Not Even INTEL Will Upgrade To Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nikhsub1 said:
I have had absolutely NO ISSUE with drivers at all! I'm running 64 bit too. Right after the install I looked in device manager and guess what? Every item had a driver! The only drivers I added were the proper vid driver and the intel chipset driver. That's it. The docs folder is not an issue for me anyway, I keep the my documents on a different HD, always have. Same in vista. I told it where my docs should be located and bam it was done. I think made a shortcut to my docs on the desktop.

Ram usage you say? This is the NUMBER ONE misconception about vista. While I'm sure it does take a bit more ram, the thing that people (most people) dont realize is that vista is MUCH BETTER at ram management and allocation than XP ever could be. This goes back to what I was saying about it feeling 'snappy'. You see Vista caches lots of things in RAM, this is part of superfetch (which rocks BTW). Even with 4GB of ram when you go to task manager you will find you don't have much free ram - here lies the catch; you do! Vista will release this cache memory instantly as soon as it is more directly needed - say photoshop or rendering etc, etc. If you are familiar with any DC project like Folding@home or SETI then you will understand this concept. These DC projects use all UNUSED CPU power - that is if the system is at idle FAH or SETI will use 100% of the CPU. Now say you start rendering or any CPU intensive task then these will instantly release the CPU power that is needed. This is precisely how Vista manages memory.

Indeed, theres very few programs I have true issues with, zero driver issues. Sure it uses more ram idling but from 1gig to 4gig (similar systems mind you) at least it keeps in mind what to use and what not to use. Heck my system has from 3-4gig (depending on 32 or 64-bit mode) and it uses up on boot from 850-1100Megs of ram (varries with the amount of ram seen). As well with a 1gig system it uses under 600Megs on load with everything turned on. IMO great memory management.

As well one of my biggest favorites is the Graphic Driver revision. Where it seperates what programs have for memory allocation and locks it in there saying it has that so no other program swaps over and trys using it. As well if the video driver or program crashes most likely it won't need a reboot because of the video drivers and how it interacts with the DX system. I can't tell you how many times I've had games crash and it needs a reboot, this at least will let me cancel the game out or at vary least go to the desktop and save anything needed prior to closing it. Some programs its a 50/50 deal though if it will hang the system though but then again so far its only professional programs that aren't certified for Vista at the time.

Anyways main topic, another company decides nto to join in. Its just like the DOT, FAA, and other agencies that won't til SP1 comes out, and was the same way with XP as well. Can only hope that it goes smoothly and they add in more features that where taken out for the release of Vista. Overall experance much much better then when switchin to XP from 2k. Sure it has some quirks but it hasn't affected my overall system usage in the last 6 months that I've been using it at home. If you don't need it don't upgrade (main reason is DX10), if you want it upgrade, if your undecided surely MS will release one of those trails eventually or try out some of the desktops/laptops at your local stores to get a feel for it.

TechJunky said:
Administration is all about TCO. You think an admin wants to be up at all hours of the night troubleshooting problems caused by switching to a new OS that werent there before? Simple, NO.

maybe not ... but a clever admin would already have a dummy workstation setup and workin it out so that he can make the appropriate recommendations as to what may or may not be required to prepare the network for future update especially on a large network which may have a lot of legacy equipment that may need to be replaced

SuperDave1685 said:
Well with a quick look at your system in your sig niksub1, I would imagine it is pretty snappy with a E6700 and 4GB RAM... Most users here do not have quite that amount of horsepower. I believe you speak for a minority of Vista users.

It's pretty snappy on my Barton@2400mhz with 2gb of ram and a 7800gs. And I'm using an nforce2 board which is "unsupported" on Vista. If I open device manager, the only thing missing a driver is the game port on my Audigy 2 ZS.

All Vista needs is a bit of ram, which I already had before I knew anything about Vista.

SuperDave1685 said:
Good point. I viewed dual cores the same way in regards to games and applications. I just don't like the fact that Vista takes a lot of RAM when setting at the desktop. Now if the Drivers would work, I think it has the potential to be a decent OS. However, I don't like how they've done away with the traditional "My Documents" folder..
The ram usage with vista is deceiving.

Vista loads programs into ram ahead of time so that they load more quickly [its called super fetch]. It will free ram up as needed. I find that my actual ram usage in vista is about 400MB.

And what do you mean about the my documents folder? You can easiluy customize the locations of all the folders if you want. Personaly, I've moved document, pictures, videos, music and downloads folders to my 500GB storage drive.

Changing an OS in a business environment isn't anything like it is at home.

The time and massive expense involved does not make it feasible for most existing companies. You won't likely see many businesses using Vista unless they're new, or branch operations - even then it's more likely they'll continue to use what the main office does.

Businesses want stability. Really it all comes down to money. Go with something well known by many or with something only a few know...I don't think so.

Now, if Intel said they were scrapping their current OS and converting everything to Atari, now that would be a story.

Looking from my system below would it have a hard time then with VISTA I mean I could buy another 2gb RAM for 4gb if needed.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Looking from my system below would it have a hard time then with VISTA I mean I could buy another 2gb RAM for 4gb if needed.
I would say no. I only have two gigs and most things run fine for me. I have had issues with explorer hanging, but feel it is os related.

On my old socket A Explorer would hang sometimes and IE7 would just shut down after a error sometimes too it was op system related I know that.

Many people I asked where having the same problem sometimes.

Vulcan said:
There is a huge difference between a business upgrading and a home user upgrading.

Vista provides very few reasons [if any?] for a business user to upgrade and many reasons not to. Business will cling to XP for years. I wouldn't be surprised to still see XP in wide use 4 years from now.

The fact XP is reliable and proven, and no newly released OS can match that.

Yeah definatly. Hell, the company I did work experience with two years ago still only use Windows 98 and they didn't have any desire of upgrading to XP.

I would with a major wireless telecomm company as one of my clients, and they have just recently upgraded to Windows XP Professional this past month, coming from Windows 2000. Smart move, IMO, you shouldn't upgrade unless there's a damn good reason to, and only when there's plenty of support and maturity in the platform you're moving to.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Well I purchased a new copy of XP Pro SP2 for about £80 when I was researching VISTA I wanted the Ultimate version. But since it's £350 here in the Uk they can stuff off it's because the EU charged and caused so much chaos for MS. That they charge stupid prices for us in the Uk and the rest of Europe.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Vista being bad is all hype. XP has been beaten to death, and will always be severly flawed security wise. Only reason for a business to upgrade to Vista would be its better security, and maybe back-up tools. If you are going to be using the computer you got 3-4 years ago, like most businesses, Vista is not for them, yet.

Vista being bad is certainly not all hype. Microsoft isn't known for amazingly secure operating systems, or smooth launches thereof. I agree it's not all doom and gloom, but also at the current time there's not much benefit over XP, either. Especially if you disable some of the annoying security features, which practically everyone does unless they have the patience of a monk to click "Ok" 18,000 times a day.

In the hands of a capable admin, Vista is no more secure than XP, and in fact the newness dictates that it has the chance of being far less secure. The company I mentioned purchased all new computers, as well, but still chose XP Professional. Businesses should only go as far into the cutting edge as absolutely necessary. Right now, Vista can do nothing that XP can't, so there's really no benefit.

Companies won't switch to Vista for a few reasons.

1) Admins don't want new issues coming up
2) Extermly costly to convert all the systems, and they'll want as many people on the same platform so theres less issues
3) It is new, some things might not work, but mainly any software writen specifically for the company might not function properly
4) Alot don't like change, and changing it on them you'll get alot of resistance.

I'd agree its similar to XP but it does have features XP doesn't that can be useful even in an business enviroment like well to a certain degree. I could see a shoot off of parental control for business eviroments.

roYal said:
waiting to go to service pack 1 does not mean you are wise. If anything, it will make you less wise because many people will have extensive knowledge with Vista and you won't at that specific time.
Not true. Wisdom is not relative term; wherefore, others increasing wisdom would not decrease the wisdom of an entity that does not increase its wisdom.

Also, wisdom is not limited to knowledge of Windows Vista. Wisdom may be acquired in many areas.

Relative to entities increasing wisdom in the Windows Vista area, other entities may attain a greater increase in wisdom by forgoeing acquiring wisdom in the Windows Vista area; greater wisdom would be acquired in another area.

AngelfireUk83 said:
Well I purchased a new copy of XP Pro SP2 for about £80 when I was researching VISTA I wanted the Ultimate version. But since it's £350 here in the Uk they can stuff off it's because the EU charged and caused so much chaos for MS. That they charge stupid prices for us in the Uk and the rest of Europe.

Over here it is pretty high also, I was looking at XP home on www.nextag.com & it was $75, that was the lowest price I found.

Last edited:
SuperDave1685 said:
Well with a quick look at your system in your sig niksub1, I would imagine it is pretty snappy with a E6700 and 4GB RAM... Most users here do not have quite that amount of horsepower. I believe you speak for a minority of Vista users.

Macbook core 2 duo 2ghz / 1g of ram 120g SATA 5400 HD and integrated intel 945 video

Vista is snappy... is that more average? and i am sure my specs are average or below average compared to more OEM systems sold with vista installed.

:)

As for switching to Vista, you may be suprised HOW many companies still use Windows 2000..... because they have many custom applications that just work, and they have no reason to go to XP.

So a company as big as intel not switching to Vista and tryig to use that to support a reason why a person shouldnt:

1. a lame attempt at finding some type of support as to why you wont go with Vista because your wise
2. a complete lack of understanding of how large companies work with rolling out new OS's / applications

if #1 your then implying that anyone who has Vista is neive or lacking this "wiseness" you have, or you just likc to bash MS over something your self have little experience with.

Vista is flawless for me, and i love it, i needed to buy Windows and as above for around $10 more i got vista over xp and there are likely even more people running Vista right now with out issues, nadda, zero, who also love it.

I would still be on win2k, but i always recalld the often BSOD's with it and NVIDIA drivers or creative drivers i always had :(

I think the college I used to go to a few years back still uses Windows NT 4.0 I am not so sure but that was 1 of the worse op systems ever. The amount of BSOD's I watched happen during a lecture was funny as hell I wish my phone had a camera so I could of recorded it.

As the teacher was baffling on the 1st PC just BSOD then the 2nd and it was BSOD's on random PC's like watching a game show Jepody I'll have PC no.4 for 100 points.

Back