• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hacking/Cracking bet with a friend... need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Blueacid said:
He explained how he also got free DSL from some japaneese company, and that it was 30megabytes a second?
DSL is limited to a downstream speed of 52Mbits/s = 6.5Megabytes/s. 30Mbytes/s over DSL is impossible.

He would need to be running a service that allows him 240Mbits/s, like:
T4 = 274.176 Mbps
OC-12 = 622.08 Mbps
OC-24 = 1.244 Gbps (or higher)
or a combination of lower speed links. But I can tell you right now he didn't get these for free.. they cost $1000s monthly for the inexpensive ones.. these ones probably cost $10000s monthly, not including installation :D

ahahhaha, so he lost but never paid up???!!! should have gotten that bet on paper and sued the guy for not paying you. he sounds like a ****er at my school who brags that Macs are waaaaaaaay better for editing video and audio and his reason is that some fags that he knows that edit videos and audios use them. I tell him they were at one point because of firewall was only available on Mac but now PCs also have it and that that advantage is gone.

su root said:

DSL is limited to a downstream speed of 52Mbits/s = 6.5Megabytes/s. 30Mbytes/s over DSL is impossible.

He would need to be running a service that allows him 240Mbits/s, like:
T4 = 274.176 Mbps
OC-12 = 622.08 Mbps
OC-24 = 1.244 Gbps (or higher)
or a combination of lower speed links. But I can tell you right now he didn't get these for free.. they cost $1000s monthly for the inexpensive ones.. these ones probably cost $10000s monthly, not including installation :D

Wait, you think I believed him?! :)

One of his mates was chatting to me, and reliably informed me that he was connected using a 33.6kbps modem (It wasn't the phone lines holding him back, just that he had a 33.6kbps modem, and his parents didn't want to pay for a broadband connection!)

People like that are funny, since they think that we believe them :D

there was a kid that used to go to my school (now expelled) that did stuff like this all the time. Once i was standing there in the computer lab watching a pretty cool screen saver on one of the monitors and he comes up and claims he programmed it himself, several seconds later some text poped up on the screen noting the creator of the ss (not him, lol). Another time he claimed that when he was in California he found a shop run by sony where you could walk in and build a computer with any components you wanted then pay $5 and leave with it (of course he didnt happen to have $5 at the time :rolleyes: )

Carnil said:

All of 'em. Every web server I know of keeps a log of who's accessed which page, and those log entries usually consist of the request sent to the server, the IP address of the browser sending the request, and a summary of what the server sent in return.

Imagine the amount of space that would take up - I reckon most servers don't bother if they get more than 1000 hits a day, since the address lists would pile up as fast as greased lightening. maybe they keep them for say, a week?

BTW I have ADSL but I'm invisible - no ports open or responding on either TCP or UDP :D plus NAT and my own firewall muahahaha

L337 M33P said:
Imagine the amount of space that would take up - I reckon most servers don't bother if they get more than 1000 hits a day, since the address lists would pile up as fast as greased lightening. maybe they keep them for say, a week?
Depends on the server admin. If the admin knows what they're doing, then the logs will be archived (text files compress VERY well), and kept. If they're really keen, they'll scan them for statistics purposes, traffic forcasting, etc.

On the other hand, if the admin is clueless, the logs will just sit there and take up space (they won't automatically recycle unless you set them to). I see no reason to disable the logs.. if you don't care, set the logs to like 10mb recycling, that'll give you lots of log entries.

300bytes/entry (estimate, based on my logs) * 1,000 entries /day * 30 days = 9 Megabytes. That 10mb log will hold over a month of uncompressed entries (depending on the entry size).

Last edited:
su root said:

Yeah.. these kinds of people LIE about BEING script kiddies :D

lol, no joke they say stuff like:

"I can only do a little but my friend shows much stuff and I go do things, he is really good!"

But then even that is a lie.

nvm didnt make it to the 4th page i guess..... you should just sue the kid anyway because he didnt pay you... i mean you got a witness and if you won you could be 20 dollars or more richer depending on how much you were sueing him for :cool:

no no... the first bet didn't require him to have to pay me if he lost. But if i GAVE him my IP address, then he would have had to pay me. I never gave him my IP address, b/c he never put money up.

The best thing to do is unplug your computer and turn off your modem or router and he cant access sh*t. I would recommend you get a nice firewall which a Linksys router is 99.9% secure most of the time but take off that DMZ or you mise will give him the $20 depending on how much he knows. ;)

BTW school has been out for weeks now and I guess you can forget about it now. This reminds me of the kiddies at school who say they hacked websites and gotten into peoples machines and they dont know sh*t about computers and network. Not 1 of them know what a LAN or WAN is. What a joke.

bigdaddymatty said:
The best thing to do is unplug your computer and turn off your modem or router and he cant access sh*t. I would recommend you get a nice firewall which a Linksys router is 99.9% secure most of the time but take off that DMZ or you mise will give him the $20 depending on how much he knows. ;)

somebody didn't read the whole thread, eh?

lol its ok, good advise.

He did state, however, that I had to keep my computer on, and connected to the internet.

I hate those know it all kids @ school. Some are even seniors and they think since they are like 1 yr older and are a senior noone would test them. I had a PC debate with one and uh, he lost. Same with all those 1337 h4x0rz... they think that can do stuff but cant. I had a similar bet, I never got any pings or port scans for the whole bet time. lol. Plus hackers dont go around announcing it, lol.

Back