• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware Gurus-Need recommendation on Nvidia mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareDevil_747

Disabled
Howdy, I am building the highest-end, baddest, and most expensive system I have ever built. So far, the only parts I have ordered are an eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E (the 470mhz core version with the KO's black cooler), a Thermalright XP90C (copper version), an 80cfm led fan for it, and am getting ready to order (in a few minutes) an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego S939 1MB L2 CPU. Since I got an Nvidia graphics card, I'd like to stick with an Nvidia based mainboard. I am very brand-biased, and will only own boards from MSI (personal favorite), DFI, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, and possibly an Epox. I'm sure I want an Nforce4 board, and its going to be used for gaming, thats IT. No internet, no file sharing, no working, just playing. Performance and reliability are the 2 most important factors for me. I dont care about SLI, I know I can get another 7800GTX, but for $455, this thing should be fast enough, I'd never consider spending another $455 for a second one. I read that you all recommend the DFI LanParty series NF4 boards... I also hear that they are hard to set up for AMD64 beginners... I found an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum online for a good deal, but a couple reviews ive seen show that its a little under par compared to the DFI or even the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI version! Overclocking isnt a deciding factor for me, as I only slightly overclock rarely, when I absolutely have to in order to stabilize framerates on demanding games. I play only first person shooters, if that matters to mainboard choice. Also, I am going to get 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR400 memory, CAS2, 1T timing if I can get it. Any recommendations and/or opinions, or any information period is GREATLY appreciated! I have to get a mainboard ordered by tomorrow evening. Thanx in advance everyone!!

PS- ALso, if it matters, I will be using a plain-jane 120GB 7200RPM SATA HDD, so RAID and SATA2 doesnt really matter to me.
Thanx again!

Hmm...well first off, I'll say that most people here think/know that MSI is crappy. They tend not to OC well, and have some other problems associated with them.

DFI is an all-around favorite, because of their high reliability and OCability.

On a side not, since your not OCing very much, I think that Asus and Abit could also be good options, since DFI is thought of as an OCing board.

Either way, if your not OCing then board selection for a *gaming* system won't be as important as if it was for an OCing system.

Someone better convince this guy to OC! lol

LOL, okie doke, after reading some more about what I can possibly make this A64 3700+ do, I might try a little tweaking ;) Especially since im sticking an XP90C on it (I would've gotten an XP120, but heard that it wouldnt fit with the 7800GTX without modifications). OC'ability is nice, but since im new to the AMD64 platform, I need something that will be easy to get me started (I still dont understand HTT, Hypertransport, etc, even after reading the AMD64 101 thread on the CPU forum).. I was extremely happy with the board on my last system (DFI LanParty Pro 875B w/ P4 3.2 Preshott, using thermalright SP94 - got 3.8GHz with it no problem) and wouldnt at all mind buying another DFI... which model would you recommend exactly? Remember, SLI capability does not matter to me, as I know there is no possible way I'll ever be able to afford a second 7800GTX for it... I see about 3 or 4 different Nforce 4 lanparty boards on newegg... which one? Cost isnt an issue, as long as its under $150, which I think covers them all. Also, just to have more headroom, I was going to order some DDR500... and keep it running at 400mhz (@Cas2) but someone told me that it wouldnt be stable... is this true? When I had my last system, DDR400 was about the best u could get, and I got some Corsair TwinX XMS3200 CAS2 DDR400 modules for the P4, and when I OC'ed it to 3.8GHz, I loosened up the ram timings, (CAS3) etc, and had no issues with that memory... will some PC3700 - PC4000 be stable running at PC3200 speeds? And can I up the memory speed with the NF4 without OC'ing the CPU with it, just in case the memory does need to be running at 433/466+ to be stable???
Thanx you very very much for the quick replies! Its 1:30PM now, will need to order a board and some memory by 10PM tonight.
Thanx again

Back