• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4870/4850 Fan Speed Control/Increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even though I have created a profile in CCC, and even though I have allowed hidden files to show. there is nothing after I get down to ...ATI/ACE ?

What is strange is.... there was something there before. I saw it. but I ended up deleting my profiles, as I thought I had created to many Profiles and I wanted only one. when I got back to windows explorer, all the details after .../ACE were gone ??

Now yes it appears the profile is saved in CCC ( fan speed 37 is what I called it. ) it is in there. I see it. but again nothing shows in my windows explorer after ..../ATI/ACE
Yes I did check the "show hidden files and folder" in folder options

Can somebody help me please? what to do?

Do I have to change something in CCC for the new profile to show?

Regards
Stef, Montreal.

I had problems creating myself, turns out it was a very simple mistake.

Goto Profile Manager...

Once in there There are two boxes at the top ...
"Enter or Select a Profile Name"
"Profile Description"

Enter something such as profile1 in both of those, and then the save button will light up.

Then before you can navigate to the location you must goto View Options and set your options to "Show Hidden Files".

"C:\Documents and Settings\*username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE"

Once in there then you can proceed to edit the profile you made with notepad.

</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="60" />
</Feature>

Hope this helps!

Also the drivers are what regulate the fan speeds from what I can tell, the best way to keep it cool is to run it in a happy medium such as 40-60%.

C:\Documents and Settings\*username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

Local Settings is the KEY to finding it in XP... now vista I don't know for sure.

Yap, that is exactly where I was. but there is nothing after I hit .../ACE
I have windows XP
the info was there before , but is not anymore ???

what to think?

Stef

C:\Documents and Settings\*username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

Local Settings is the KEY to finding it in XP... now vista I don't know for sure.

You said you deleted all but one, create another and check (If you haven't tried that already)

You tried looking through all the Documents and Settings/different usernames ? (I don't know if there are multiple users).

If that doesn't work, I suggest reinstalling and trying again.

dude:bang head, i dont know how to do it! heres the screenshot
what should i do? just copy paste it?everytime i do it, nothing happen.

aticcccz5.jpg

Did you click the little unlock button under the ATI overdrive menu? You have to unlock overdrive for the fan speeds to work.

Yeh I've tried both the hotfix drivers and the ones that HIS sent... CCC doesn't allow me to create a profile.

I went out and bought a pair of 4870s after my debacle with Newegg and I seem to be experiencing the same problem.

I am using the 8.7 Beta Drivers (unsure if the hotfix would apply to those) and I cannot create a profile or, if I "am" creating one, it's not shown in the directory where it is supposed to be.

Edited to add that it sees my 2nd card but its labeled as DISABLED in CCC

It's in a hidden folder, so go to folder options and click view hidden files.

Yeah...that's like the very first thing I do after I perform an install is make sure all hidden files are shown so that isnt the problem.

It didn't let me create any profiles.
Uninstalled CCC and reinstalled - No Go
Uninstalled all ATI stuff using driver cleaner pro and installed the older drivers - no go

Performed a fresh install using only 1 card.

Grabbed SP2 and .net and .net service pack

Installed CCC

I can now create profiles in

c:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles\ (myprofile.xml resides there)

Saved the profile after changing the value to 90% in Notepad

Chose that profile from the profile manager in CCC and chose to activate it.

Nothing...

I loaded Vista Home Premium today.

Got all the updates from MS

Loaded the Beta 8.7s from guru3d's site

opened CCC, enabled ATI Overdrive, made some changes, and saved my profile. I edited it to look like what's pasted below:

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="50" />
</Feature>
</Group>

According to Post #9, I needed to change the Property Value for FanSpeedAlgotithm to Manual and the want value for FanSpeedPercent from default (11 when I first opened the file) to my desired value (50)

Saved the change

Opened CCC

Chose the profile and chose to activate it.

NADA. No Go.

I know I'm not crazy so that only leaves stupid...

Help the handicapped out here fellas.

Here's an update:

I rebooted, logged in, double-clicked the profile shortcut I saved to my desktop, and the fanspeed on my 4870 went to 50% with no problem.

However...

Once I added the second 4870 I started having problems.

For one, I made the profile mods that enabled the fanspeed increase, but it never spins at more than 950rpm.

For another, its device driver is not staying installed...

I went through the install process successfullly and it then just forgets it's installed and reverts back to no crossfire after 2 or 3 minutes.

The 2nd card shows as a problem device in Device Manager as well and clicking the properties for it and trying to reinstall the driver is unsuccessful. I have to uninstall the device and scan for changes in configuration before it will see it and, once it does, it installs the driver correctly and crossfire is enabled for a while.

Will remove first card and try using 2nd card as primary to see if the card is defective...

after you have the 2nd card set up and enabled in overdrive, open your profiles again. you only have the fan speed set for the first card, "0", scroll down in the file til you start to see "1" at the end of each line, that will be the controls for the 2nd card.

I found that installing one card at a time can cause problems with the 8.7 beta drivers...

Try uninstalling everything using the Catlayst Install Manager.

Then install both cards, making sure you have them in the correct slots for the mobo PCI-E slot configuration...

With my ASUS M3A32-MVP it needs the 1st card in Slot 1, and the 2nd card in Slot 3, which was a pain, as there were 3 other slots between them, 2 PCI slots and the PCIE-E slot 2...

Anyway for full x16/x16 you have to install the cards into Slots 1 + 3.

Thakfully I remembered that ASUS had provided extra long crossfire bridges in the mobo box..... there was no chance the ones that came with the card

would reach, and installing the cards into PCI-E slots 1 + 2 only gives x16/x1 and not full x16/x16, which obviously causes a lot of probelms...

Also do as Parad0x420 says and make sure you enable the fan fix for both fans by editing the same details for the 2nd card by scrolling to the "FanSpeed_ Protocol_1"

after you have the 2nd card set up and enabled in overdrive, open your profiles again. you only have the fan speed set for the first card, "0", scroll down in the file til you start to see "1" at the end of each line, that will be the controls for the 2nd card.

I said in my post that I made the fanspeed changes to the profile. I guess I should have been more clear by stating that I made the changes to both sections. (for both cards)

I can set the fanspeed to 25% for the first one (so it is quiet enough to hear if the changes to the second entry make a difference) and then set the second one to 50% and no...it does not increase.

I found that installing one card at a time can cause problems with the 8.7 beta drivers...

Then install both cards, making sure you have them in the correct slots for the mobo PCI-E slot configuration...

With my ASUS M3A32-MVP it needs the 1st card in Slot 1, and the 2nd card in Slot 3, which was a pain, as there were 3 other slots between them, 2 PCI slots and the PCIE-E slot 2...

Thakfully I remembered that ASUS had provided extra long crossfire bridges in the mobo box..... there was no chance the ones that came with the card

would reach, and installing the cards into PCI-E slots 1 + 2 only gives x16/x1 and not full x16/x16, which obviously causes a lot of probelms...

Also do as Parad0x420 says and make sure you enable the fan fix for both fans by editing the same details for the 2nd card by scrolling to the "FanSpeed_ Protocol_1"

I think you may be onto something with the part about adding a second card after the first is installed and working because once I added the second card, I had all sorts of problems.

I did make the necessary changes to the profile though for both fans.

Drivers wouldn't stay installed for the second card and in the CCC, I could select the second card from the drop-down list but CCC wouldn't display any information about it like GPU Temp or GPU speed or anything like that...

Good Catch on the 8.7 Beta install having problems when adding a second card.

I uninstalled CCC and the drivers then installed both cards into the system and booted up and re-installed the CCC and drivers using the Installation Manager.

Once that was done, I did the same profile mods as before and not only does it see both cards great now, the temps on them are a nice chilly 30°C and 40°C

I appreciate the suggestions everyone made!

Seems (for now at least) that the system temperature and sound are pretty good.

Time to install some stuff and test stability and load temps

Back