• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Fails to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moonpeach

Registered
Hiya guys

Looking for some advice, just finished building a PC for someone with the following specs:

MSI FM2-A85XMA-P33 Socket FM2 LAN Dual-link DVI 8-channel audio Micro-ATX Motherboard

AMD A4 5300 3.4GHz Socket FM2 1MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

XFX HD 5450 Heatsink 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

Tesla 500W 12cm Fan ATX PSU - Black

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.5V Unbuffered Non-ECC

I accidently bought some laptop HDD instead :facepalm: so while waiting for that to be returned etc etc i remembered i had a IDE to SATA HDD convertor which i've got in my PC and works fine.

the person im building a PC for gave me his PC to fix but was beyond repair, there is nothing wrong with the HDD's except for they are IDE. I've just hooked up the IDE>SATA convertor to the PC and in BIO's it is recognised no problems. When I go to boot to the HDD (There is XP already on it) it goes to the standard windows "you have recently installed new hardware.... boot normally, safe mode, etc etc etc". Select safe mode and it will load the files for safe mode and then just restart and then we are back to square 1. If i click on boot normally, it restarts and goes back to square 1. So to me it seems that the HDD is failing to boot and im not sure why.

I've tried hirens boot CD and booted into mini XP and that does not recognise the HDD.
The jumper that is on the HDD is over the master pins

So my question/advise is, would anyone have any suggestions or know how to get around this.

Yes there is power, and data plugged into the HDD

Last edited:
The PC you put this HDD in... is your SATA ports set to AHCI mode? Being on IDE and XP I have to imagine that the IDE drive does not have the AHCI drivers if your PC is set to AHCI. Work around this by setting the SATA ports to IDE mode and see if it works.

Your IDE HDD has old system's OS right? It's very possible it won't boot an OS from a different system.

The PC you put this HDD in... is your SATA ports set to AHCI mode? Being on IDE and XP I have to imagine that the IDE drive does not have the AHCI drivers if your PC is set to AHCI. Work around this by setting the SATA ports to IDE mode and see if it works.

Hiya

As we speak I've changed the SATA Mode in Bios to [IDE MODE] with no success

What if i was to put the HDD into my PC with the convertor, take all the data off and then wipe it, it could possibly then be able to have a OS installed on it. Or would it be possible to 'repair' the drive with a windows disk.

Hiya

As we speak I've changed the SATA Mode in Bios to [IDE MODE] with no success

What if i was to put the HDD into my PC with the convertor, take all the data off and then wipe it, it could possibly then be able to have a OS installed on it. Or would it be possible to 'repair' the drive with a windows disk.

Anything is possible, but normally I recommend an OS reinstall when there are significant hardware changes.

Anything is possible, but normally I recommend an OS reinstall when there are significant hardware changes.

When i rebuilt my PC I used my SATA and SSD disks with no issues.

Anyway, found a solution, put in the windows disk, repair > load drivers > located the data needed to be backed up > copied it onto my USB and now to wipe and reinstall.

Hopefully this should work and i'll give you all an update with any news

If the system you got the HDD's from was running a different CPU (intel/amd) then the majority of time the system will get to the windows loading screen and restart or BSOD

Back