• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick out my new video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueboy1986

Help me pick a compatible video card w/ my mobo

I just bought a new mobo and i was installing it, when i tried to put in my video card, i figured out it wouldnt fit. I didnt know that my video card wasnt going to be supported. :mad: I have and old nvidia riva tnt. The thing is that now, i have to go video card shopping, and i dont know what cards are compatible w/ my mobo. By the way my new mobo is a ASUS p4p800. I dont want to spend alot of money know, i want to buy a video card that is under $115.
Any suggestions?? am looking for the better buy, not best quality,but best buy

Last edited:
I assume you are in the US and I don't really know US prices but as far as compatability goes you just need a card that is AGP 2x, AGP 4x or AGP 8x...any of those will work. That includes just about everything that you can buy now from GeForce 2s and up on the Nvidia side and any radeon on the ATi side.

I would reccomend any ATi radeon from 9500 and up or an Nvidia GeForece 4Ti (4200,4600, 4800...whatever). I would advise you to stay away from the GeForceFX 5200s, GF4 MX series and the Radeon 9000/9200 (8500 and 9100 are OK).

Although it may be a bit above your price range I think the best choice would be a radeon 9600Pro. A radeon 9600 (non Pro) can be had for $115 US or less and is almost as good.

if you are gonna be gaming a lot get the 9600 (NOT SE!!!) pro or non-pro, whatever you can afford

if you arent gonna be gaming much or at all, pick up a cheap Geforce4MX off of ebay. It will run counterstrike, but anything much more advanced will have troubles.

Overclocker550 said:
if the tnt wont fit, somethings wrong with your mobo cause any agp card fits on mine

No, that's wrong, I believe.

AGP 8x boards do not support older AGP cards (1x and 2x, I believe). I know my Voodoo 3 won't work in my board.

EDIT: MY 1,000TH POST! :D:D:D SEVEN STARS.

yea we need to know what you want to do with this card, like do you game, extra features like tv-out, vivo ect, do they matter to you? for 115 i would get a 9600 np or if you can spring the extra $30 grab a 9600 pro.

Falcon-K said:
yea we need to know what you want to do with this card, like do you game, extra features like tv-out, vivo ect, do they matter to you? for 115 i would get a 9600 np or if you can spring the extra $30 grab a 9600 pro.

I have to agree with the above...
yet there is also nothing wrong with getting a nVidia GF4 Ti4200.

as long as you are not a heavy gamer then you can't go wrong with eather....you may be able to get a 4200 real cheap on ebay or here in the clasifides.

good luck

mica

For the price you suggest

NewEgg Has the Asus 9200 For under that prive and has Vivo and supports DirectX 9.0. It also has great Active cooling Ta Boot. And its right, The new boards will NOT support 2X agp cards. Its right there in black and white in the manual. The Last part of the Interface on you card will not fit.

If you cant get the 9200 i mentioned, Id get the 9600 Non Pro. It does great in my second rig i run. You Might also get lucky at a chain store with rebates For a 9600Pro.

Good luck.

Harry

Re: For the price you suggest

harryinny3 said:
NewEgg Has the Asus 9200 For under that prive and has Vivo and supports DirectX 9.0.

The 9200 doesn't support Dx9. ;) It's the same as an 8500.

DX8.1 has decent graphics. You will still have a good amount of eye-candy while playing games like HL2, while having a FPS that's better then most FX's using DX9.0 (or running DX8.1 for that matter). The 9600 Non-Pro isn't worth it, unless, maybe, you can find one for under $80.

i ended up getting the sapphire radeon 256mb. i hope that will do good for me. I cant wait till i get it. i have never had a video card with more then 8mb:(

Totally my bad

Its a Gigabyte 9200 with vivo. Its $89. When it was on the front page for 3 days it DID say DX9 support, because i was One click away from ordering it. Thats what i read, But i might be wrong. But still, thats what it said in details. Oh BTW its at newegg

Harry

9200s dont support dx9 and those suck. $89 is a ripoff for those, you can get a 9600 for a bit more! and theres no need for 256mb on a 9600, itll be too slow to run much past 1024x768 anyway. Id have chosen a ti4200 for $70

The 9500 pro beats the 9600 pro, and the 9500np beats the 9600pro aswell.

Last edited:
Re: Cam, Read the Product link,

harryinny3 said:
They do now.

Plus its an asus Maybe thats the difference.

Harry

I'm thinking that's some kind of typo. Or just made to mislead. The 9200 has the same core as the 8500. I don't get how it can be Dx9 compliant.

Overclocker550 said:

tell me how can a 9500 NON pro beat a 9600 pro? :rolleyes:

They have the same amount of pipelines, both come with 128bit memory. Some 9500 NP's even come with 256bit memory, which will easily allow them to keep up with a 9600XT.

And let's not forget that many 9500 NP's are capable of softmodding.

Back