• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me solve my rebooting problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ICU

Registered
Okay were shall we start? first up, if this thread is in the wrong forum area then by all means move it, cheers.

For about the last 4 months or more my computer just randomaly reboots, about twice a day, so I went into the system properties and to the advanced tab>startup and recovery>settings>system failure and unchecked automatically restart, now every time my computer restarts it comes up with a blue screen instead of just rebooting, the usual page of white text etc, at the bottom it says system stop then lots of numbers etc.

My system is overclocked to an fsb of 152, multiplier of 12.5 vcore of 1.825 it has been running that for about 2 months now, passes prime and hot cpu tester in burn in mode. I set all this back to default to see if that was the problem, no go, So next I thought I'd check my ram, I have 2x512mb elixir ddr333 (PC2700) dimm modules, I have them running at PC2100 at about 303 mhz ddr ofcourse they pass memtest86 which was run for hours and hours, then i thought it might be my PSU, which is a cheap yum cha branded 300watt, so i went out and brought a new thermaltake 420watt model, put this in a few days ago, it still has the problem, kinda ****ed because that PSU cost me $139.00AU, but atleast now I have a good PSU. I even tryed a different bios, no go. I also tryed running different ram timmings, my motherboard is very limited.

I have a prolink pixelview Ti4200, lapped core, ram sinks, amd cooloer, I thought this was the problem, so i set her back to default and still no luck, i even tryed different det versions

My specs are as follows:
8K5A2+ motherboard running the latest bios.
RAM, 2x 512mb ddr333 (PC2700) elixir modules, nanya chips, see pics below.
ram_01.jpg

aida32_01.jpg

My cpu is AN XP 2000+ default speed of about 1667mhz, not ovreclocked at the moment:
AX2000MT3C
AGOIA 0209 TPAW
Y7882436947
© 1999 AMD

i use a Swiftech MCX462+ with a 80mm to 120mm adapter and a sunnon 120mm fan running at full speed (avout 105cfm) plus 6 case fans, the average temp not overclocked is about 32c at the moment.

My PSU volts are at: 3.3v is at 3.39, 5.0v is at 5.05 and the 12.00 volt is at 12.43, they are all rock stable (anyway it's not the psu, as stated above)

I am using windows XP pro, 45.33det's, direct x 9.0a latest via drivers.

I personally think its my ram, need any more info just ask.

Cheers

Any one, PLEASE, any thing, no matter how silly it might seem.

It has happened 4 times all ready today.

Gonna take a shot at it buddy i know how it is not to hear any replies and you feel unloved :)

I have had this exact problem before twice. My compute rrunning windows xp would reboot for no reason at all. I did everything you did and then some, but to my dismay even after having my ram tested at a local shop on a machine (took 2 days), the ram was the cause of my problems each time.

The first time happened on my old MSI K7N420 Pro mobo. I had a stick of pc2100 ddr go out on me. I replaced it and boom fixed the problem.

The second time happened on the same motherboard but i had the ram installed in the wrong slot because the K7N420 Pro was the first nForce chipset mobo and it of course featured dual channel memory acceleration etc. A lot of nForce boards are like that even today. I fixed that problem by reconfiguing my sticks, i had 2 128's and 1 512.

I know many things can cause this problem but in the end as a last resort you may want to have it tested at a local pc shop, might cost you about 50-100USD tho (sorry i dont know the conversion for AUD).

Just keep in mind to always start from the ground up, mobo first.
I hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for replying mate.

I dont know if it's worth paying some one to test my ram, when I can go out and get new ram for the same price.

You could try reinstalling your OS and see if that helps ... Boot from the CD and follow the prompts and when the install shows a list of windows intalations press the r key to repair the current installation. This has solved the same problem for me in the past

Back