• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me to mod & oc this beautiful gf3...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

hi ppl, i bought this geforce3 a while ago, im satisfied how it performs at stock speeds but i still want to oc it a little so i can keep it until nv30 is cheap enough ;) :rolleyes: :cool: ...

Well, the ramsinks were in it already when i got it, but i need some help to take them out safely and use artic silver epoxy instead or eaither AS3 along with superglue to get lower temps (more likely to use this last method). Same goes for the heatsink/fan so i can replace it with a cooljag with also AS3/superglue.

And as a final thought, would it be a good idea to cut the ramsinks in pieces to make an individual heatsink for each of the 8 ram chips??? or will it cool itself more effectively the way it is right now???

Thnx for your time and help :)

The heatsink is held on with push pins, thats easy to get off. The Ramsinks are a bit more dangerous.I remember reading a post where some guy pulled of his RAM chip along with his ramsink. The best method that I read about is putting your card in a ziplock bag and leave it in the freezer for 10 - 20 minutes. Then use some sort of a card, like credit, or bank card to pop off the ramsinks. I wouldnt want to cut them either.

If you remove the push pins off the GPU HSF and try the old freezer method, it should be fine.
Freezer Method
1. place video card in static bag
2. place in the freezer for 10=15 minutes
3. remove frombag and using a flat head screwdriver or putty knife, gently pry off the sinks.

As far as cutting the ramsinks, there will be more surface area removing heat if it is one piece.

thnx for the tip, it sounds like a good method, has anybody tried this yet??? i dont want to screw up the only gf3 in whole mexico :beer:

Da Whip said:
As far as cutting the ramsinks, there will be more surface area removing heat if it is one piece.

thnx man, seems i just wont cut them if you mean the will spread heat mre eficiently...

PhobMX said:
thnx for the tip, it sounds like a good method, has anybody tried this yet??? i dont want to screw up the only gf3 in whole mexico :beer:

I have that EXACT card, and I have done the freezer trick.

Just put it in a bag ( I used zip lock), set it on the shelf, eat dinner (that's what I did :)), remove card, get a pair of needle nose pliers, and gently rock the hs's back and forth. It is just a cheap piece of tape, looks like double sided electrical tape that is holding them on.

Gandalf said:
I have that EXACT card

I'm sure its not the exact same card by the fact that this one is raw geforce3 (the first model, not even ti) but anyway thnx for your reply, ill try that method...

DAMN IT!!!

Alright, heres another problem...

seems after performing a little more research (either say another question in this forum hehehe), i got to the conclusion that cooljag is way too noisy, its 47db loud (louder than my CPU fan!!!) so i think ill keep with this stock cooling, so here comes another question

Is it worth it to do the freezer trick just to replace the thermal compound for artic silver epoxy??? will this help me to overclock it better with powerstrip???

EXCELLENT LINK DUDE

Thanks a lot, i just need the fan to start working :) (ill keep stock hsf) which is going to be the official overclockers fan.. :) DONATE PPL!!!

Last edited:
Back