• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed for this i5 3570K - thanks guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaarosu

Registered
Hi everyone, and thanks again for looking into my tread.
Im back to building a new pc after 4 long years from hiding behind the rock.
Long story short - Im looking to build a Mid high end PC with a i3570k

Purpose : Mostly BF3 gaming - Tons of surfing + online streaming movies

Budget : None as long as its within 100 dollars of the item im about to point out

Items needed : cpu - motherboard - SSD - Ram

Items that I already have:
Galaxy MDT GTX 580
Antec Truepower Trio 650W ( http://www.antec.com/specs/TP3_650_spe.html )
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Things dont needed : CD/DVD ROM (will install wins7 via USB
I will only use 1 SSD of 240G (i dont save movie/music to my pc)
I will not SLI/CROSSFIRE

Ive never OC before and i would like to in my 3570k since people say its easy, so CPU is decided already - please post a item part # of a good Air cooler.
at this point, the max OC i would do is 4.2 ... but 4.0 would do too (i want the OC speed to be permanent, not like others that OC to 4.8 just for games then back to 4something for surfing, etc)

MOtherboard - Im totally noob at this, I've heard MSI Z77A-GD65 is very good and OC genie would do all the work for me? i read a little bit about that mobo and seems pretty good .. any other input from you guys? gigabyte? asus?

SSD - i also read a little bit about it and i think i would go for intel 520 240G
since its fast and reliable? or should i get the samg 830? vertex 4?

Ram - im debating either 8G or 16G . mostlikely 16G
again, i would like reliability so im gonna choose kingston, but i want it to be fast too ! .. as for now i have this in mind "Kingston KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX 16GB 2133MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL11 DIMM (Kit of 4) XMP"

should i stick to 1600 for the ram? will the 2133 make a huge diff?
also im open to a diff opinions such the G.SKILL Ripjaws, Corsair , Mushkin.

Thats for all ... Please help

so in mind i have:
i5 3570k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - Intel 520 240G SSD - Kingston KHX2133C11D3K4
(waiting for your input for a good air cooler)

- please post your answer and explain why if possible - also ask me any other info if needed. and again, just post the item part # or model and i will find it myself either ncix, newegg , etc

Do you live by a Microcenter?

The three SSDs you listed (Intel 520, Vertex 4, Samsung 830) are probably the top three SSDs on the market now, lol. I'd go Vertex 4 as it's supposedly the fastest of the three.

Look at this article here, RAM speed basically makes no difference in gaming performance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6. You also don't need more than 8GB for gaming, and won't for a long time.

I'd stick with 1600 and get short sticks so you can get as big of a cooler as you want without interfering with the RAM heatsink. RAM is RAM, IMO the top brands are all equally reliable. I'd actaully get these sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096. The specs seem really meh, but they OC to hell and back, it's crazy. People have done DDR3-1866 CL9 at 1.5V...and they cost as much as the cheapest DDR3-1600 kit. Plus they're shorter than the RAM slot itself, so it'll never hit a heatsink.

4.2GHz can be done on a Hyper212+, you should be able to get to 4.5GHz as a nice 24/7 overclock with a bit heftier cooler like a TRUE Spirit 140.

I'd go with something like this...if you live by a Microcenter you can get the CPU/motherboard for a LOT less.

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 11.31.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 11.32.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Do you live by a Microcenter?

no, I live in Canada and there are tons of computer stores around my city with very decent price - same as microcenter or less at times.

again .. i dont know nothing about OC. that is why im choosing (maybe) the msi GD650 cuz it has OC genie and does the OC for u in 1 click / push button .. but i can always learn the manual way if is easy.
therefore i will be happy with 4.2

in regards with the ram .. i kingston i posted is on sale now for 100 dollars or so
and .. it seems very tempting

Look at the link, it might get you one FPS higher, lol. You also don't need 16GB...even 4GB is usually fine for gaming.

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 11.42.33 PM.png

Pretty much every board on the market has some sort of "Auto OC" option. They all work decently but they usually go overkill on the voltage to make sure everything is stable. You usually can get a lot cooler running OC by doing it manually.

If possible ... I dont like to buy online. mainly cuz of the waiting time and the hazzle returning items (defective, warranty, etc)

and i dont know why but it seems that if i buy items separately i save more.

perhaps the reason being is that i PRICE MATCH everything - and the store here are cool with it. like i would walk in and price match my whole pc parts with diff company to get the best deal and its fine

If possible ... I dont like to buy online. mainly cuz of the waiting time and the hazzle returning items (defective, warranty, etc)

and i dont know why but it seems that if i buy items separately i save more.

perhaps the reason being is that i PRICE MATCH everything - and the store here are cool with it. like i would walk in and price match my whole pc parts with diff company to get the best deal and its fine

Lol, that's fine. Definitely go whatever way gets you the most savings. Just take those as my parts recommendations then, ignore the prices.

CPU: 3570K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 1.35V (will OC to something MUCH higher than that). If you can't find those, cheapest 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V kit you can find with low heatspreaders (G.SKILL Ares/Ripjaws, Mushkin, Corsair Vengeance LP).
Cooler: Hyper212+, Hyper212 Evo, TRUE Spirit 120, TRUE Spirit 140.

Thanks for pointing that out . but i just dont want to be limited to gaming.
i want a pc that could be upgradeable in the future and. maybe i'll be gaming and d/l stuff + open many application open... also the more ram the better and for $100 ... its well worth it

Multitasking...you're still not going to break 8GB. RAM is also easy to upgrade in the future...and more RAM than necessary puts more strain on the IMC in the CPU and makes it a bit harder to overclock. You can always get 8GB now and if it's not enough throw another 8GB in the future. I have like 20+ tabs open right now and GTAIV in the background and I'm at like 4GB of RAM usage.

Multitasking...you're still not going to break 8GB. RAM is also easy to upgrade in the future...and more RAM than necessary puts more strain on the IMC in the CPU and makes it a bit harder to overclock. You can always get 8GB now and if it's not enough throw another 8GB in the future. I have like 20+ tabs open right now and GTAIV in the background and I'm at like 4GB of RAM usage.

Good point . perhaps i'll grab the 8G ram and upgrade in future if more ram are needed.

I just want more input regarding MOBo.. maybe someone with a MSI Z77 GD 65 here? along with a 3570k?

Could anyone else here help me decide WHICH MOBO is good?
i want something higher than the Asrock ... like msi Z77 GD65 ... but seems not many people use it.. do they? are they any good?

Woohoo ... Im almost done .. getting excited now

So my last question here is .. Ram
people say 3570k chip dont like ram above 1.5v? so ima stay with 1.5v ram
also, i guess the less stick i plug in the letter no? ... so ima choose 2 stick
2x 4G or 2x 8G ? ... again .. im not on a budget (as long as its worth it).. but i want fast and reliable. I dont wanna OC ram (i dont even know how to OC the 3570k so not gonna bother with the oc ram)

a few people told me to get this one: is it good?
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1443

again ... I dont do encoding, video editing , photoshop or any other office work stuff.
just mainly ... BF3, surfing net, going trough my files out or boringess, watching video both with media player and online streaming

again .. i only plan to OC to 4.0 (maybe 4.2-4.4) with hyper 212 - maybe will get the NH-D14 if needed (but dont think my antec 900 will take it)
i live in the basement so its fairly cold (room temp is like 16c)

(Waiting to buy)
i5 3570k with Hyper 212
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel 520 SSD 240G
Ram - ???? --- help me choose a good one

(bought these already)
Galaxy MDT GTX 580 OC
Antec Truepower Trio 650W

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL HELP

RAM is RAM, just get a cheap 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V kit. Try not to get something with big heatsinks like the Vengeance you linked, there's a low profile version that's good. G.SKILL is a good brand as well. Tall heatsinks might run into big coolers.

MSI boards haven't been as good quality as of late, I'd look for other options. Gigabyte UD5H should be in that price range.

RAM is RAM, just get a cheap 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V kit. Try not to get something with big heatsinks like the Vengeance you linked, there's a low profile version that's good. G.SKILL is a good brand as well. Tall heatsinks might run into big coolers.

MSI boards haven't been as good quality as of late, I'd look for other options. Gigabyte UD5H should be in that price range.

How is this one then:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC7260&vpn=CML8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=OTHERS

Thanks, im gonna read some about the GA-Z77X-UD5H

Gonna buy these this Weekend --- any last Advice/suggestion?

(Waiting to buy)
* i5 3570k
* Hyper 212 evo (would love to get "true spirit 14" or NH-D14, but dont think my Case fill fit
* GA-Z77X-UD3H (heard this one is good and i got a dedicated sound card already so no point in getting the GA-Z77X-UD5H? right? and this one is a good OClecker too)
* Intel 520 SSD 240G
* Corsair Vengeance Blue Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory

(bought these already)
Galaxy MDT GTX 580 OC
Antec Truepower Trio 650W

DANG .. i just read some review about samsung 830 and its about the same as intel 520 except $15 cheaper .. i guess i'll buy either one next week and see which one goes on sale more by using my fav site price checker "shopbot.ca"

quick question to you all ... do you guys think I should get a better Power supply? .. i've been using that for 2 years. and no problem ... again .. im not gotta have multitple GPU (no sli) ... here is a pic of it ... does it still look good for my new Build?
17-371-001-14.jpg

Back