• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking my P4 on P4C800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhicks32917

Hello everyone,

I've done things on my own so far, but I've come to the point where I need the help of some more seasoned OCers.

My setup:
P4 3.2ghz 512kb L2
P4C800 Deluxe
3X 1GB G-Skill Ram
180GB Caviar Blue HDD (soon to be either 2x Raptor in RAID-0, a 80gb velociraptor, or a Intel M SSD)
650W Corsair Power Supply
Radeon HD3850

My goal here is to overclock until it either explodes or hits ~4.5Ghz stable.
I've done a vdroop mod, which has enabled me to hit 4.0Ghz stable on 1.65 Vcore.
I've seen users hit 4.5-4.6Ghz with very similar set-ups, so I know it's reachable, but I've reached a wall.

Prior to the vdroop mod, I could boot with 1.7 Vcore, but not a touch higher
Now that I've done the vdroop mod, I can't boot in 1.7 Vcore, which I'm guessing is, because the Vcore idles at 1.715-1.720. At least that's the reading I get in the BIOS.

So, what has happened? Why can't I go higher than 1.7? I don't think it could be my power supply. It's brand new, and supplies more wattage than my setup could ever need. I've seen my 12V go as low as 11.80-11.85 on OCCT. Could that have something to do with it? I have a 2.8ghzE on the way, so I'll be able to see if it's simply the processor not reacting well with the volts.

I don't think it's the RAM either. I've tried booting with 1:1 and 5:4 settings, and I've seen this RAM be run much higher than what I'm pushing it on 2.85v, but if that isn't enough, I can do a vdimm mod to push it higher. I'm using the loosest RAM timings that I can.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional. Air cooling, but temps never go higher than 50C, and I have a new heatsink and case fan on the way.
Thanks for any help, and if I haven't provided enough information, please ask away.

-Jordan

An update: I'm 90% sure the reason for the desktop not booting with 1.7+ Vcore is the heat, because I've gotten it to fully get to windows twice now after cold booting with a big fan blowing on the inside of the case with the side open. I locked up about ten seconds into Windows, so I didn't get to try anything. Even still, the heat gets to 50C after only being on for about 45 seconds.

I hate seeing the 12V rail get so low. It's occasionally hitting as low as 11.74. Anyway to stabilize this? Move some wiring around? Any power supply modifications?

I had a P4 3.0 northwood with that same motherboard. After doing all I could, I got about 3.9ghz stable on high end air.

It has been a while, but I don't think 4.5-4.6ghz is a reasonable goal, especially because you are barely at 4ghz and already using 1.65 volts. I never saw anyone with those speeds (stable) on air cooling. In fact, I wasn't able to even boot into Windows at anywhere near those speeds.

If you are overclocking/tweaking for better performance, I would honestly stop buying more cooling gear/processors (2.8E) and purchase a cheap micro atx motherboard, an E5200 and a decent 4gb ddr2 kit for around $200. If you are doing this just for fun, then good luck!

heat is going to be your biggest setback on that chip.
Not sure what cooler you are planning on using but you will need somthing like a megahalem to keep it under 70c at those clocks.
I would be willing to say even with that 4ghz-4.2ghz might be possible but that is about it.
those chips will need around [email protected] and from then on a lot bigger increment of voltage bump per 100mhz.

Yeah, I'm too far invested into this to turn back now. I'm going to do a PSU vmod tomorrow to pull up the 12v rail to ~12.25-12.35. I figured while I'm in there, I'll go ahead and mod the 5V and 3.3v rails.

Thanks for the suggestion turbohans. I'm going to buy some ridiculous air cooling/ heatsinks. I really couldn't care less about noise, so if anyone has some suggestions, fire away.

EDIT: The megahalem is only for socket 775+. I'm using socket 478.

your welcome and that should work with that. I wish I had spent the money myself on somthing like an E8600 with a good air cooler and the board i got. (I honestly thing a multi-socket air cooler is worth the money for the best) I forgot to ask you what motherboard you are running also, but the cpu you have has such a high multiplyer anyway.
Edit: oooooh 478? hmmmmm

Sorry, been a few days sence ive been on here.

Back