• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Troubleshooting PC Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only reason you may want to stick with LGA 2011 X79 is if you want to or need 6 cores in a CPU, where you would need to upgrade to a 3930k from a 3820, but for gaming, there is no advantage there, and is mostly for video rendering and autocad / 3d environments. Either way, I'd skip the nh-12 cooler and opt for a sealed water CPU cooler such as the Corsair H80 or H100 where there are no case issues, easier access to RAM slots, and better air flow around your VRMs in a not-so-congested package. I just don't like those towering infernos hanging off a motherboard adding more stress to it without any support on the back side. That is just me and I'm the one who has to work inside that case. I don't think a Haswell chip will work on an LGA 2011 X79 board. There is supposed to be a new release coming for LGA 2011, but I don't think it is Haswell or won't work with current X79 boards.

Haswell is socket 1150, not 1155 (soon to be discontinued) with Z77 3570k / 3770k, and I haven't seen no Haswell socket 2011

The joy of buying new computer parts lol. Sorry for being so indecisive. So it seems the 3770k + z77 board is the favorable/better choice for mostly gaming. As for water cooling, I was hoping to just keep an air cooled setup with stock or very minimal overclock speeds for quite some time until I really require more power. However, if I find that my current cooling solution is inadequate, I may look into water.

From what Haswell CPUs have been released, it doesn't seem like it offers too much of a performance boost and mainly focused on less power consumption. Therefore, I think it would probably be the best choice to go with the 3770k and z77 board still. Thoughts?

Actually no, the Haswell is supposed to promise a much better gaming experience and run more cooler and efficient.
You should read the review recently posted
http://www.overclockers.com/intel-i7-4770k-haswell-cpu-review

EDIT: Myself, I would never buy something that is about to be discontinued, because if it by some misfortune the CPU or motherboard fail after a year from now, you could find yourself searching Ebay for used parts or starting over from scratch, however unlikely that may be, it is still possible.
I also like some of the new overclocking features that come with Haswell, which I'm certain members here are going to come to love once the tweaks are figured out.

Last edited:
Actually no, the Haswell is supposed to promise a much better gaming experience and run more cooler and efficient.
You should read the review recently posted
http://www.overclockers.com/intel-i7-4770k-haswell-cpu-review

EDIT: Myself, I would never buy something that is about to be discontinued, because if it by some misfortune the CPU or motherboard fail after a year from now, you could find yourself searching Ebay for used parts or starting over from scratch, however unlikely that may be, it is still possible.
I also like some of the new overclocking features that come with Haswell, which I'm certain members here are going to come to love once the tweaks are figured out.

I do agree with the being discontinued and making me nervous as well, but looking at all the benchmarks for the 4770k vs the 3770k, the performance increase still seems minimal. Also, a section in there reads "They don’t run much hotter than Ivy Bridge, but you can expect a 5-10 °C increase due to the integrated voltage regulator." I do see that the 4770k is supposed to be able to hit 5ghz+ far easier than the 3770k, but I don't think I'll ever be trying to reach those levels. So far I'm still thinking returning my 3820 and x79 for 3770k and z77 is the way to go and will save $100 or so.

I think they're equally good options at this point in time, personally. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Haswell-E will be on LGA2011.

I think they're equally good options at this point in time, personally. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Haswell-E will be on LGA2011.

Okay I think that decides it then. I think I'm going to go with the 3770k and then if I really need more processing power, I can upgrade CPU/mobo later down the road. 3770k + asrock extreme6 z77 = $230 + $160 = $390 compared to 3820 + x79 = $230 + $350 = $580. Almost $200 less for the same (probably better performance). The 4770K will be $330 and then probably $200-$250 for a good mobo and then who knows what lurking problems exist with this new line of hardware. Going to go the safe and proven route, and hoping that it being discontinued doesn't bite my in the butt later on.

Thanks for all the info and your opinions!

EDIT: On microcenter's site, the 3770K is $229.99 and the ASRock extreme6 is listed as $159.99, but in the cart it shows as $119.99. We will see when I go to check out if this $119.99 stays haha

Last edited:
Back