• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with 8kha

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Does this board need to have a fan plugged into the mobo to post? All my fans plug into molex connectors.

I'm getting an FF code, no post, no beeps. I know my cpu, vid card, and ram were all good before I installed them. Its going to be a real pain to pull off the swifty and test the cpu in another rig. :rolleyes: There's no burnt electronics smell. I've reset CMOS and reseated vid card and ram.

The CPU Fan detect as POST is a setting in the BIOS and it is off by default. I accidentally turned it on without the fan connected once. What happens is that the computer keeps turning off at POST. It doesn't even get to the FF code. I managed to hit the Delete key before it detected it (after about a dozen or so false starts) and turned off the feature in the BIOS. Since yours is not shutting itself off, I think it's another problem.

weirdness

tested all vital parts in another box and they're ok. Traded my XP for a Tbird form the other box and now it works fine.... don't know what's up but oh well. trashed that damned swifty too. Thing killed an XP last week. Using a Volcano 7 with 120mm fan for the moment... can't wait til my 3rd XP arrives and I can ditch this crappy OC tbird.

Ah.......the old oxidation problem......don't worry I had it also.
First of all push hard (ok don't penetrate =P) on the bios chip so that oxidation between the contacts breaks. Try posting again. If it doesn't post rma it =(

LiGhTBoY said:
First of all push hard (ok don't penetrate =P) on the bios chip so that oxidation between the contacts breaks. Try posting again. If it doesn't post rma it =(
What?

LiGhTBoY said:

can you explain how/why, and when it shouldbe used

sorry for the delaeyed response =(

anw:

Epox decided to use a+b metals (imaginary symbols, just to explain). Those two metals become oxidised (you know what oxidised means, right? (kinda rusting =p). If they Become oxidised, then you should "breakl" the oxidasions between them so that they can make contact again. This is very common with the 8kha+ (mine had it, and eventually got RMAed =) ). You should push hard on the BIOS chip (put your finger on the chip and apply pressure *duh*) to break the oxidasion. After that start your pc and see if it worked.

Back