• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Voltage i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshOohAh

Hello, I currently have an i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz. My baseclock is at 195 and a 20x multiplier. I have set my voltage to 1.20 and it seems to be running fine but a little on the hot side for my liking (when running Prime 95) which runs in about in the mid 70s. Suprsingly when I let my motherboard find me a recommended Voltage it brought me to 1.4x. This was running VERY hot.

I was originally going to overclock it to 4GHz but decided not to because I was still running a little hot at 3.8Ghz. I wanted to know what you guys have your i7 920s set to. Even if it's not 3.8Ghz, I'm just curious to see.

Also as you can see in my Signature I have a Coolermaster V8 which is a pretty decent cooler. I know it's not the greatest on the market but it does it's job (when the fan speeds are set to the max). Maybe I'm just an idiot overclocking this high on a V8. Anyways thanks for any advice.

Gotcha. While it is nice to see what others have done. One person's setting may not work for you. Thats the fun in overclocking is trying to get that stuff right.......for yourself!

You can also search the site as I know plenty of people have posted tons of threads on this already. Beats waiting for answers.

Also, you have HT enabled? If you disable it and dont need the other 4 'cores', that will save you some temps right there. GL on your adventure! :)

Gotcha. While it is nice to see what others have done. One person's setting may not work for you. Thats the fun in overclocking is trying to get that stuff right.......for yourself!

You can also search the site as I know plenty of people have posted tons of threads on this already. Beats waiting for answers.

Also, you have HT enabled? If you disable it and dont need the other 4 'cores', that will save you some temps right there. GL on your adventure! :)

Alright thanks I will start my quest and hopefully have it running smoothly by the end of tonight.

Are you sure I should disable HT? It seems very useful to me being able to handle more processes with extra 'cores'

I am suprised you are about to get that high on 1.2 volts, I am up around 1.3v and doing 4.0. But that said, my temps are not as high as yours. I am not familiar with your cooler, but can you improve the airflow through/around it to try to bring the temps down?

I am suprised you are about to get that high on 1.2 volts, I am up around 1.3v and doing 4.0. But that said, my temps are not as high as yours. I am not familiar with your cooler, but can you improve the airflow through/around it to try to bring the temps down?

Yea I tried some basic things like PRO cable management (thanks to my friend) and I also added a north bridge fan which goes right next to my cpu cooler. I have noticed 4-5 degrees Celsius decrease which is GREAT!

I'm curious, I am going try to get to 4 ghz at 1.3 volts and see how it works out.

Back