• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hole saw questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iron Hawk

Well im getting 3 92mm fans delivered on monday, and I need to get a hole saw. Is a 3-1/2 inch hole saw the right size for a 92mm fan?

Do i need any lubricants when cutting (aluminum case) such as cutting oil? Will WD-40 work?

Also, how should i make the cut? From the inside poking out through the outside, or from the outsid cutting twords the inside?

Thanks for the help

-Iron Hawk

I don't think it really matters to much which direction you cut as long as you have the thing laying flat so the metal doesn't bend.

You can always file off any burs.

Go from the outside in and make sure the panel is mounted down securely. If that bit grabs and swings that sucker around, you'll be picking up your intestines from the floor.:eek:

Other than that go slowly backing off frequently.
Have fun and be safe.

Yes, drill from the outside in,that way the burrs are invisible.I bought a 3 1/2" bit yesterday and if you are using the round metal covers it is to big.The 3" would be alot better.I ended up using my dremel instead.

Low rpms. The lower the better. My drill press only goes down to 620 rpm, which really sucks for cutting blowholes in cases. I drilled two holes with it, but then I used my cordless drill for the others. It worked much, much better. I think you’re supposed to drill through aluminum at 170 rpms, but I’m not sure.

I never use any oils or such when i cut blowholes. Just go slow and clean your cutting area a lot with air or whatever. It seems to work but yes you will get some warm pices of metal. Have fun and post some pics (even if ya mess it up :) )

Back