• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I find out which part is broken (RAM or MB)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psytechs

Hello.

This is my first post and I'm not an overclocker yet but I intend to do so.

First of all I need to find out which part of my system is broken or incompatible before I can proceed to overclock.
I've built a pc with used parts which are the following:

P4 1,8 GHz 256 kb cache socket 478 (Willamette?)
Asus P4B266 SE
1 GB Buffalo PC3200 double-sided DDR-SDRAM (ECC? Buffered?) Type: MS 4003-1GA
Geforce MX440
Codecom 350 W power supply
8 GB HDD
Samsung CD Burner

After I started the pc with a minimum of devices (just CPU, fan, RAM, graphic board),the CPU- and graphic board-fan was active but I got an error message out of the internal speaker which indicates that the memory is either broken or not detected (long signals in an endless loop) despite the module worked in an other pc. The pc didn't boot and there was no boot screen too. The green LED lit up.

From what I've learned from several websites and forums I assume that my memory is compatible to the board.

Are the sockets of my motherboard broken (I've tried each of them)?

How can I find out, which part doesn't work without changing the MB or the memory? (I really don't know anyone who could lend me one - most of my flatmates have laptops)

Have you had similar experiences?

I got an error message out of the internal speaker which indicates that the memory is either broken or not detected (long signals in an endless loop) despite the module worked in an other pc.

According to your manual, that code is indeed no ram detected.
"Worked in another pc"...tried it in that pc again since?

Back