• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do expansion cards with their own BIOS work with uefi? how to Avoid it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

So I have a SATA expansion card, I'm currently running legacy bios (non uefi), the SATA expansion cards each take about 3-5 seconds to load their own bios and drives before continuing to boot windows. I'm planning on upgrading to uefi bios and I'm wondering how expansion cards work with uefi.

Two questions:

1- will uefi still boot lightning fast or will I have to wait 3-5 seconds for each of my expansion cards BIOS to load before uefi boot finishes?
2- If I have to wait 3-5 seconds, is there a way to avoid this? Are there expansion cards that are compatible with uefi so that they don't have to load their own BIOS at boot?

1. You will still have to wait AFAIK. Not sure why you would not have to as the device still needs to load itself.
2. No. Not sure if there are devices like that.

If they don't load, your devices wont work.

Assuming the Sata card is for the 7 hdd in your signature? If that is the case, replace those drives with a single larger capacity one so you don't need to use the card in the first place.

I find myself asking a lot of questions, not getting the answer or not getting the right answer, and finding the answer myself. I found the answer to this one too.

Under UEFI, you do NOT have to wait for expansion cards to load... I don't know how it works but you do NOT have to wait for them. I just converted my system to UEFI and popped my two SATA expansion cards and they no longer have to initialize in bios (5-10 seconds each) before proceeding to windows... I don't even see the bios boot screen anymore... it just boots straight into windows.

I'm not 100% completely positively sure but i THINK it might be because these cards are UEFI compatible... I did buy them 2 years ago... It could be that ALL expansion cards don't have to intitialize via UEFI.... either way, I see my SATA cards fine within windows and they don't initialize.

Thread over :)

Back