• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get my EVGA user set fan curve to come on at startup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I have EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner. Soon as the pc starts they apply the over clock, but won't apply my user set fan curve until I open either program. How do I get the fan curve on either Precision X or Afterburner to apply when the overclock applies at startup without having to open either program? I've only had this problem with EVGA cards btw, with my MSI, and Gigabyte 680's my set fan curve would apply at startup.
It's not a real big deal, but it's kind of a pain and sometimes I forget to load said programs and my card will reach temps in the 80's. Thanks. :shrug:

Last edited:
If you set he fan curve and have you fan set to custom/auto, it should follow that curve.

It doesn't. Like I said this has only happened to me with EVGA cards. I've had two other EVGA cards in the past as well as other manufacturers.

Just to be clear, are you saying that with another brand GPU the Afterburner and Precision X would apply the fan curve but with the EVGA cards it doesn't?

My EVGA 670 + MSI AB fan curve works great. never had any issue before or after unlocking the card. I now can use 20-100% fan speed, stock is limited to 30/80% on my particular card.

Dont install BOTH evga precision AND MSI Afterburner ... only install one monitoring/tweaking utility or you can end up with compatibility issue if both prog try to work on the card at the same time.

Open MSI AB, go to the costum fan cruve panel and edit to what you want. Should work fine if you leave the main page fan setting on AUTO.

Interesting, I have an old EVGA 7600gt, a EVGA 450 gts Fpb and a Ati 5850 I can pop into any of my rigs and the custom fan control that I set up on the Afterburner works fine.

There might be a conflict between aterburner and precisionX trying to do the same thing at the same time. I use precisionX myself, and I don't oc my GPU, but precisionX runs at windows startup and applies the fan profile just fine. Just a thought.

I contacted EVGA and I figured it out. AB doesn't work for me, but Precision X does so I guess I'm gonna stick with that.

I wouldn't run both at once. I was using AB, but it wasn't working right. EVGA told me to redownload Precision X and now it works fine. Could of been my Firewall or a bug, who knows. All is better now though. BTW, they didn't mention AB at all in their reply to me. Meaning that they don't care which I choose, no negative statements about AB, no positive statements about Precision X.

I have EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner. Soon as the pc starts they apply the over clock, but won't apply my user set fan curve until I open either program. How do I get the fan curve on either Precision X or Afterburner to apply when the overclock applies at startup without having to open either program? I've only had this problem with EVGA cards btw, with my MSI, and Gigabyte 680's my set fan curve would apply at startup.
It's not a real big deal, but it's kind of a pain and sometimes I forget to load said programs and my card will reach temps in the 80's. Thanks. :shrug:

I have this. I'm not sure what the fix was?

Just like you mention, I have the "apply on Windows start-up" checked, so the OC setting apply automatically, but the fan settings do not change from the hardware settings until the EVGA application is manually opened. Googling this, looks like I'm not alone.

I got it to work finally. Not sure exactly what I did, but it's working fine now. Try going to settings in EVGA Precision X. Under general make sure, "start with windows", and "start minimized" is checked. Restart your pc and let me know if this works.

Start Minimized will work, as this opens the application. I was trying to find a way for the fan settings to start (as like the OC settings do) without the application having to run.

I got it to work finally. Not sure exactly what I did, but it's working fine now. Try going to settings in EVGA Precision X. Under general make sure, "start with windows", and "start minimized" is checked. Restart your pc and let me know if this works.
That is how it should have been done to work in the first place... yep! :thup:

Start Minimized will work, as this opens the application. I was trying to find a way for the fan settings to start (as like the OC settings do) without the application having to run.

Don't think you can do it without the app running. Only through editing the actual bios can you change the fan's settings possibly.

Back