• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many watts is your system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the logitach z-680's on my computer and I have onkyo/jbl home theatre with 5x 100w on the satelites and 1x 200 rms on the sub. There are better but I felt the $350 for the logitechs and $800 on the home theatre were money well spent. Now all I need is the funds to change my basement finish from drop cieling/ paneling to all drywall. The rattles are aweful. I'll just have to live with it hehe

NiTrO bOiE said:
1500 watts? That's insane, you really don't need over 200.

Bah, I say ya need at least 500. And 200 of that should be for bass. :D I personally have 260 watts devoted to bass.

I have a RCA HTS-5000 surround system/DVD/CD/MP3 player (though those features are kinda useless as my computer can do all those) It has 5.1 surround and puts out 600 total watts RMS. It gets house-shaking bass (only when my mom's not home) and uber-clear sound with my optical SPDIF commection... :D
The best part is that I paid for the extended Radioshack maintenence plan, so even if nothing's wrong with it, I can send it in and they'll clean it out, replace worn motors, etc etc... :)

power would depend on the size of the room and if it's RMS there will be a point where your ears will give. it will just hurt. even though it's not distorted it will hurt.

james's system sound sweet. yamaha is known for some good amps in the higher end of things. specially good for cinema and surround stuff. good job!

Yeah Yamaha does indeed have some nice amps. For my home theater I use a Yamaha RX-V1 and I just love it.

The real advantage of power is not for volume but to drive alot of good speakers you need a powerful amp. A good, powerful amp will even sound better even at soft volumes.

Deathknight said:
Yeah Yamaha does indeed have some nice amps. For my home theater I use a Yamaha RX-V1 and I just love it.

The real advantage of power is not for volume but to drive alot of good speakers you need a powerful amp. A good, powerful amp will even sound better even at soft volumes.

Actually I was looking for a refurb of that amp. Really good choice. I ended up with this one: http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR 325&sType=C

I was actually looking for a used Krell, but couldnt find a showcase version in my price range. So I got a really good deal on the AVR. May still add a Krell 2channel amp for my R/L. The high amp units power Bose speakers much better than standard high watt amps anyway. So I think I made the right choice for now. May try and get an avr7200 or a vintage Levinson someday when I have some $$.

my system is a little like james's, but a little more extreme. I have a Yamaha RXV-1300 that will put out 110watts into 5 channels. Then I have a Adacom amp to power my mains that has 250watts into two channels. Then there is my DVC Shiva Sub that I run with a 200x2 amp. So that is 1450watts. Sorry I lied and said 1500 watts :D. Oh and this is into a set of JBL Studio Series speakers.

Its pretty nice

In the bedroom (with the computer hooked to it) I have a Rotel RB-971 Power amp with KRK monitors. Can't be bothered to turn the amp around, but there's plenty of watts for me. No pre-amp, just plugged onto the rca's of my soundcard. (hoontech dsp24 value)

I also have Grado Labs SR 80 headphones for when my wife is sleeping.

In the living room I have a Nad C320 amp hooked up to B&W DM 601 S2 speakers.

I'm not really a wattage kind of guy. I think it's really overrated, atleast if you are living in an apartment building and want to keep some kind of relations with the neighbours. I prefere to have cristal clear sound, and rarely play either system at over half volume.

the real reason that wattage is overrated is that how the watts are produced is far more important than thier number. For example: dropadrop's rotel may have fewer watts than my amp, but i would take it over my cheapo any day, as the power supplies, caps, circuts, etc are most likely of a higher grade. So his amp will put out its max with less distortion than my Yamaha can but out 2/3s of its rated power.

its like his amp is an AMDXP and mine is a P4. I may have more Mhz(or in this case watts), but his mean more :D

My point excatly.

I've had a 1500w amp powering 2 turbosound speakers in a party, and I find it very hard to believe anyone can have use for power like that at home. I guess wattages can vary between manufacturers, 'cause if you are listening to music with power like that in a small room there's something seriously wrong! :D

thanks guys:) for what ive spent on it, it is absolutly stunning. You guys are right aswell, wattage is far from everything - thats why im still using my 2x35w creek to power my sub. it may only kick out around 70watts, but this little amp can handle the bass like nothing ive seen before.

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a marantz monoblock to power the sub, but to be quite honest 70watt rms at 30hz is already deafening when your powering a 12inch sub in a 3.5cubic foot box;)

it's loud, quality and good looking all in one:) defenatly money well spent.

seamadan000 - i'd kill for a shiva:eek:

My system should be good for around 5x80 watts at 8 ohms... subs are banned in the apt. block, as the sound insulation between apt. is really poor. Good thing is, I live on the top floor :cool:

The system is a your basic sony 5.1, very popular model around 3-4 years ago as best bang for the buck. It was either a standard 5.1 way systems with B&W 600 series speakers at the time, or a good NAD stereo system with 800 series speakers.

Ummmm.... Krelllllll..... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Cheers, Flix

i used to use a fountain 10w + 10w
untill it died for no reason
its an old skool valve amp -long live the valve-
but i recon it put off 600w of heat

Yeah.. valve amps are kewl, and also pretty easy to construct as well..

I've had the blueprints for a 15 watter at home for a long time, but alas, computers always win over hi-fi in my life :)

Flix

i'm pumping out a mind blowing 82 Watts of unadulterated Creative 6100 sound.

-Dave

Back