• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to make a phase change system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

i have an old freezer and was wondering with a bit of work would i be able to turn it into a phase change system, also are there any guideson how to make one?

thanks

rajanm1 said:
i have an old freezer and was wondering with a bit of work would i be able to turn it into a phase change system, also are there any guideson how to make one?

thanks

the only way this will work is to put a resovior in the fridge, which will work well if you let the water stay in there for a few hours before your first use.

What there trying to tell you is, unless your wiling to build a direct die system, your SOL.

Fx-53 said:
What there trying to tell you is, unless your wiling to build a direct die system, your SOL.

Yea... he hit the spot on this one... its pretty much impossible-extremely expensive.

I'm actually converting an old refrigerator into a CPU cooler. But the capiliary tube will have to be resized, which means that I'll need to really modify the unit. Since I'll have to cut up the unit anyways, I decided to go all the way and completely rework the plumbing. I'm trying to keep cost of tools and parts under $300, under $200 if possible, while still making a quality unit.
I have kept the case of an old freezer (compressor taken for use as vacuum pump). In the future, I plan to get an old window A/C and install it in the freezer case to work as a whole system cooler.

rajanm1 said:

thanks

A fridge as a water chiller will not work, they are not made to move large amounts of heat fast but small amounts very slow. The temperatures will keep climbing and possibly even over ambient.

Yes you can, you would have to cut up the system. Which involvs recovering the refrigerant in to a tank, cutting it up, rebazing with a diferent metering device (as the cap line no dought used is not the right restriction for the load in mind). Adding in either a DD head or a heat exchanger for a chiller. Rebrazing and recharging with refrigerant. Given you have no license to buy refrigerants you are limited to propane and r134a. You will needs tools and more tools.

Fact of the matter is unlese you are already set up with everything you need its ussualy cheaper to buy a used vapochill.

read read read.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Last edited:
Back