• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Overclock Intel xeon x5680 on ASUS P6T Deluxe v1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ED, it will depend on the type of filtering your case has. Mine has a mesh on all "windows" and the areas where it intakes were mostly blocked after that last time I posted a photo of dirty radiator, remember? During this time, my PC ran probably couple weeks 24/7 total. By this I mean adding all times when it was On.

I cleaned dusto off fan blades and radiator and now I'm running a few degrees cooler while idling. My fans are standard 12v, so they don't turn off when PC is in idle state, they keep milling, all of them.

Foo! I think skunk sprayed in my backyard. It stinks!
1. Idle temps arent relevant. Sensors are less accurate at idle than when closer to tjmax.
2. I dont have any filters.
3. My fans are on and running whwn the pc is on too... as are most people..

The bottom line is that 24 hours or a weeks worth of run time will not affect temps in any meaningful way unless there are extreme circumstances causing significant buildup.

Yes they will.
If you have a bed in your PC room or rather if you have PC in your bedroom, you will get lots of dust. Have you tried seeing in the sunlight how much dust there is flying when you fix your bed in the morning? If your PC is running, it is effectively a low power vacuum, filtering that air from dust in your room.

UltraTaco knows dust.

I get it, they make you sleep in the barn. No wonder it's sooo dusty

GUYS!! - Please don't.

One more question I forgot to ask:
Whats good/bad about havig a high/low BCLK and a high/low Multiplier?? - Like BCLK 200 x20 vs 100 x40 vs 160 x25 and so forth.

We are trying to take care of ya properly Donkey. Bad advice, or advice without proper details like he was shared can waste people's time (at best) and send them down a road which doesn't need travelled. ;)

Same stuff different piles on the BCLK question. The only difference is of course what the clocks tied into it are, like memory and uncore. :)

Last edited:
Appreciate that.

So if I where to fiddle a little with my RAM and nothing really fit well to my 210 BCLK, I could just lower/raise it a bit and adjust the Multiplier accordingly (keep 4.4GHz) and then CPU-wise nothing really would have changed (same vcore and stability)?? (CPU apparently not stable above BCLK 218).

Am I reaching into the hornet's nest here??

For all intents and purposes, yes to both questions. :)

To me, but you may be different, fiddling with memory and uncore when I am not benchmarking is a waste of time. Others may have fun doing so, but the yield isn't much in most cases so I tend to stay away from the incremental improvements and time sinks. :)

I'll put Dyson™ in my room next week.
Baseclock also affects qpi frequency as well since there isn't much wiggle room because even lowest multi will be climbing pretty high. This is more of a poblem when you can't boot or stay stable because of it being high, but since it isn't causing any issues, it's good.

there probably is some theoretical improvement from having it higher because of higher baseclock, but I haven't noticed it.

Does blend test QPI stability? I believe it links ram with uncore, correct? So if it's faster than stock, it may skip anbit and show up in memory stress tests? eh, I did some reading, so I guess not. Looks like on higher end processors (1366) it just connects pciexpress sata and other motherboard stuff to cpu. Or 2 qpi's where one is used for multi cpu configuration. Memory is handled by uncore entirely

Donkey, not fiddling with ram and uncore will come back to haunt you. It will be like incomplete chapter of the book keeping you awake at night.

Last edited:
The X5680 goes for about $70 on eBay. If you cook your CPU you can pick up an X5675 for about $45 and get just as far with it. ;)

Thee x58 brotherhood returns.:cheers::shrug::clap::grouphug::comp::muahaha:

:muahaha: :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

The X5680 goes for about $70 on eBay. If you cook your CPU you can pick up an X5675 for about $45 and get just as far with it. ;)

I was lucky - Got mine for just about 20$

- - - Updated - - -

Donkey, not fiddling with ram and uncore will come back to haunt you. It will be like incomplete chapter of the book keeping you awake at night.

I knoooooow :rain:

According to BIOS (the way I understand it) - If I have to fiddle with my RAM then I have to overclock it quite a lot..
I have 1333MHz DDR3 RAM - Current DRAM frequency is 1263MHz - Next step on the list is 1683MHz...
Current UCLK frequency is 2526MHz (2x DRAM) - Next few steps are 2736MHz and 2946MHz.

The way I understand it UCLK must be 2x to 3x DRAM frequency - No more, no less.
I cant change DRAM frequency, that will overclock my RAM way too much (I think) - Only way is to change (lower) my BCLK, which I don't think I want to do. Finally got it running stable.
Should I leave it alone or should I fiddle a little with UCLK?? Or????

Ram multi goes 6x 8x 10x, ECT, therefore the higher the baseclock, the more significant steps. Uncore typically twice as fast as ram. I have mine a notch higher.

Doing uncore 3x ram will not work with 1333+ ram. Can you imagine 1333 x3 = 4 GHz uncore, you'll probably need 1.5+ volts QPI/DRAM voltage :D

Enjoy your rig!

Thank's man! :D
If you can call a machine that's almost as old as Granite for a "rig" :)

And thank's to you too Taco !! - Though I don't know what the screenshot is for?

I decided NOT to fiddle with my RAM after all (not this time anyway). I'll update the first post with my settings so people don't have to go through the entire thread. :thup::thup:

Wouldn't have been possible without your help!!! I'm truly grateful.

Last edited:
Remember words of Yoda.
Overclock you must.

"Over here we overclock, no component left at stock"

Good job on that Xeon!

Well..... I kinda UNDERclocked my RAM... Does that count as "not left at stock"?? :D

Back