• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Setup Boinc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Working on this one (slowly but advancing :D), as in the other one, many things will be just taken from well written sources (with the correct credit and references if needed)......just a compiltaion where all this can be esaily accesible. Give me a little time to polisih it. :D

Thanks for the sticky FAQ. Been out of the Seti loop for a while (though still crunching old shcool). Been planning on switching over for a while, however last I'd looked in there were a lot of server issues and such. Anyway figured it was about time I took the plunge, and just wanted to give my appreciation for such succinct help in doing so.

IS there any Ramdisk setups for boinc avialiable yet? maybe add that to the sticky?

Hi guys
If I just want to use climateprediction when SETI has no data available, how do I set that up?
Thanks

If you use Boinc v5 than you can go to Projects menu in the Boinc manager and click on attach to project. Then Boinc will ask you for the project URL, just paste "http://climateprediction.net", and then you will have to type in your E-mail adress ( remember to use the same one you used for attaching to Seti so that your accounts on different projects can be combined ). And thats about it, you will see that after successful attach it will automatically start downloading a model.
Then you can go to climateprediction web site where you can join Overclockers.com. ( you have to do it for the every project you attach to ).
Hope I didn't miss something, if you have any questions please post it here, Im sure somebody will help.
Oh and welcome to the CPDN, you will see that workunits are taking alot longer to finish than seti WUs. Few days ago they launched new experiment that takes around 3500hours to finish with AthlonXP Barton @ 2.1Ghz. But you will recieve credits every few hours when model finishes a checkpoint. Anyway if you have the patience to look at one WU crunching so long it is definatly great project to run.

markodude said:
Hi guys
If I just want to use climateprediction when SETI has no data available, how do I set that up?
Thanks

Go into your account settings for climate prediction or you can do this from your seti account page and adjust the "resource share" under the project's preferences. Higher preference means that project will get more time, lower preference....less time.

One other note, BOINC is designed so that Climate Prediction will start to run if it detects it will not be able to meet the projects deadline, so if your doing this just to run Climate as a backup project you might want to try a project with shorter work units, such as predictor@home or rosetta@home.

Either way you will occasionally see the other projects run to hit there completion dates, but it will most likely be only for a few hours a week at the most.

If this app is multithreaded, I'm in! :D

I have an overclocked AMD X2 4400 (2.6Ghz) and I think it would contribute very well.
How fast(slow) can I get to 1M with that? :p It's on almost all of the time...
Oh ya, I also have that old AMD 3800 that could run it too. :p
and that P4 2.4Ghz...
and that Athlon 3200...
and that P1 150mhz...
and that really old 486SX...
and my Playstation 2 with Linux on it...

I would still have a P2 if it did not catch on fire...

Edit, whoops, too late :p I'm already at 1% on my first climate prediction task.

Last edited:
First of all welcome Shell :welcome:
That Toledo would be excelent crunching machine.
Boinc is not multithreaded itself, but it can make good use of extra cores ( or HT ) by assigning seperate chunks of work to each core.

You mean 1milion credits? well, it is alot of work but it can be done. Im @ 700k right now and I am running boinc for almost 2 years now, but you could do it alot faster with all this processing power you mentioned above. :D
So if you decide to join and have any questions/problems about setting it up dont hesitate to ask here, Im sure we all here would be glad to help you. :thup:

Just wondering what are the project preferences for? Having one at 40% and another at 60%, what does it do?

Shell said:
If this app is multithreaded, I'm in! :D

I am running two tasks on an AMD 3700+ with 50/50 allocation and it only runs one at a time. The other is "preempted"

On my P4 3.0 with HT it runs two tasks simulaneously.

The instructions need some updating, try this set:

1. Download Boinc here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
2. Install it and take all the defaults.
3. Make an account as a new user when prompted.
4. Project URL is: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
5. Fill out new user account info when prompted.
5. Ignore the error about unable to connect to .........
6. Log into your new account at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/login_form.php
7. Set options to suit your tastes, connect to server 4- 7 days is my preference.
8. Join the OCforums SETI Team at this link:http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team...m.php?id=30199

Back