• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF For IHS-less AM2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey everyone,

I figured I'd ask yall as I'm sure someone knows a good HSF that meets my needs.

Background: currently using 9500AM2 from Zalman, decent cooler, even for overclocking an AM2 CPU. A while ago, I delidded my 6000+ X2. After de-lidding, I noticed that the Zalman cooler I was concerned about the flushness of the contact between the cooler and die when the system is put in the cases normal, upright position. I've found myself wanting to unlock further power from this machine, rather than the modest overclock of 3.2ghz (from 3.1ghz) that I did just to make the RAM run at full DDR2-800 speeds.

I am looking either for a way to adapt my 9500 to not use the standard mounting bracket, and to something similar to the Intel, screw on type mounts or purchase a new cooler which allows me to do this for about $60.00.

Anyone know a compatible adapter kit, or a decent, similar performing HSF that mounts to a backplate?

that actually looks pretty nice... thought they were more than they are too...

anyone know of a 775 conversion kit or something, cause I'm trying to be economical about this... baby on the way :D

Taking up the slack of the IHS can be as fancy as you want or be very simple.

How handy are you? You could probably fabricate a hold-down plate for your HS with a small piece of 1/8" aluminum. You might even be able use the existing bolts from the AM2 socket surround (that thing comes off in case you didn't know ;)).

At our local hardware store they sell strips of aluminum, 1"x36" in various thicknesses. An 1/8" thick piece of that would make a fine replacement for the spring the HS normally uses. Just cut to length (maybe 2½"?), drill a center hole to help it keeps it's positioning, then drill bolt holes on each end to match the spacing of the AM2 hold-down bolts plus a hair for the arc it'll create when tightened down. The HS doesn't have to be centered perfectly on the die - ±1/16" should be plenty close enough. It's a big metal plate covering a rather small piece of silicon. ;)

If you can use the existing bolts that's fine but if not a good hardware store should have the replacement bolts you'll need - just take the backplate with you when you go. :)

Edit:
Somewhere around here ChanceCoats123 something similar for a Sunbeam CCF 120. You might do some searching if you want a look at it - he took some fair pics ...

Last edited:
I was aware that you could remove the mobo mounting bracket.... but as far as constructing my own, unfortunately, i do not have the tools needed to do that. I was hoping for a generic adapter kit for around 5-10 bucks, then purchase the intel brackets form Zalman (like 2 bucks if I remember correctly..)

gotta new problem, I decided to teardown my computer to get a good clean on it, as well as take a look at the TIM and its distribution. While looking at the cpu (pulled cooler strait off) this is indeed a problem, as the gravity side of the cpu was about clean in a fairly large patch, but he rest had a thin coat on it, and there was excess on the gravity side. after reassembly, and rewiring everything, it came time to clean the die/hsf, and reinstall.... and my AS5 is no where in sight. Considering we moved, and my wife tends to throw everything away (such as small $6 tubes of bliss) that doesnt seem to have a purpose that she knows of, I have a feeling the almost full tube 'disapeared'. The best that I can locally find around here is Antec Compound 5 or something like that. Anyone have any feelings on that even if its till newegg gets me a tube of AS5?

Most people that are going to remove their IHS buy bolt-on sinks. Unlike Intel, most AMD boards have a metal backplate and even the ones that aren't metal are pretty substantial(IIRC the backplate is part of the AMD spec for the socket). Because of that, add-on kits just aren't available for AMD - the sink either bolts on or clamps on. You can look around but I doubt you'll find what you're looking for.

For another heatsink here's a good list. Make sure you look at the AMD section ... ;)
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Most people that are going to remove their IHS buy bolt-on sinks. Unlike Intel, most AMD boards have a metal backplate and even the ones that aren't metal are pretty substantial(IIRC the backplate is part of the AMD spec for the socket). Because of that, add-on kits just aren't available for AMD - the sink either bolts on or clamps on. You can look around but I doubt you'll find what you're looking for.

For another heatsink here's a good list. Make sure you look at the AMD section ... ;)
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I think I may have found an example of what I'm looking for.... as well as in my price range :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708046

Something like that.. and its only 2 bucks, so I think I'll buy one of those and the mounting bracket for the 9500AM2 to see if it works... if not its only a couple of bucks, besides... I forgot to write down the S/N for my mobo (which was the whole point of pulling it...) so now I gotta pull it again another weekend.

Back