• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Upgrade Build Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

This is a "secondary" gaming/HTPC for my living room (already have PSU, case, etc.). Mostly will be used for watching TV/videos, but also for the occasional steam games, mostly couch co-op indie stuff. But I want the option to play things like Dota 2, No Man's Sky (don't hate), and PUBG, at decent 1080p settings.

Budget is $600, and I'll probably be getting the GPU later, so I can be a bit over.

Can I do better on anything?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($155.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($67.68 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Total: $619.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-02 16:55 EDT-0400

Looks good! I'd throw an extra 8Gigs of DDR4, if the kid wants to stream,browse the net and do his homework while a game is running!

What about your case? Don't see it in the list. A very important choice in a mini itx build because of cooling and ventilation confinements. You would be wise to consider an entry level AIO water cooling kit for the CPU. I ran into problems with air coolers, even the low profile ones on my mini itx build (see Sig). The cooler would fit but there was so little clearance to the bottom of the PSU that the cooler was starved for air.

What about your case? Don't see it in the list. A very important choice in a mini itx build because of cooling and ventilation confinements. You would be wise to consider an entry level AIO water cooling kit for the CPU. I ran into problems with air coolers, even the low profile ones on my mini itx build (see Sig). The cooler would fit but there was so little clearance to the bottom of the PSU that the cooler was starved for air.

He already has the case and he is building a micro ATX not a mini ITX.

Back