• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have an old case I want to mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD4P4SwithFSB

case temps get to 43 or 44 where on the same room my other modern case gets to 36 or 38max I notice it could be because of the intake fan and more spacing so I want to open a hole on the old case and maybe another one on the top, what tools do I need?

Something to cut the hole with. Dremel, jigsaw or holesaw.
Something to smooth the edges. A file, or sanding stone along with dremel/drill. I've also used auto some door edge trim to cover up the metal edge.
Drill bits for the screw holes.

Know Nuttin said:
Something to cut the hole with. Dremel, jigsaw or holesaw.
Something to smooth the edges. A file, or sanding stone along with dremel/drill. I've also used some auto door edge trim to cover up the metal edge.
Drill bits for the screw holes.
Since I new to modding would you recommend me what type of dremel and drill bit would I need? why do I need a door edge trim? would it be too much?

A dremel with reinforced fibreglass cutting wheel, if you're going to go with the Dremel/rotary tool route.
For holesaw, you'll need an arbor as well. Diameter of the holesaw will be dependent on what size fan you want to use.

Drill bit, I can't recall off hand the size that I used unfortunately.

You don't need door edge trim, it's mainly to cover up the edges where you made your cut, so it looks a bit better in the event you don't make a perfect circle, and to protect you from cutting yourself if sharp edges are present. It's pretty cheap stuff, only $5 CDN at our auto parts store around here.

Know Nuttin said:
A dremel with reinforced fibreglass cutting wheel, if you're going to go with the Dremel/rotary tool route.
For holesaw, you'll need an arbor as well. Diameter of the holesaw will be dependent on what size fan you want to use.

Drill bit, I can't recall off hand the size that I used unfortunately.

You don't need door edge trim, it's mainly to cover up the edges where you made your cut, so it looks a bit better in the event you don't make a perfect circle, and to protect you from cutting yourself if sharp edges are present. It's pretty cheap stuff, only $5 CDN at our auto parts store around here.
is this to cut plastic as well as steel or aluminio?

reinforced cutting wheel is recommended for metal.
Forgot to mention that I normally recommend putting masking tape over where you are going to cut.

I don't recommend dremel for plastic. Not fine cuts. Depending on how thick the plastic is and what you want to do, you might be better off using a blade. High RPM can create a lot of heat and cause cracking/melting.

Yeah, dremel + plastic = ugly.

It gets the job done physically, but asthetically, it looks crappy. If you do have to use a dremel, make the hole smaller, then go back with the round sander and gradually make the hole bigger. If you're good with a dremel, you can make it look nice, but you have to be really good.

Back