• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like your opinions on this computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deviantpenguin

Registered
Hi people. I am new to this forum, but I have been a lurker for some time. So bear with me if I seem a little out of place. :)

So lets get down to business. My current computer is a Dell factory dimension (except for the vid card) and it's about time I get a new computer. So here is a machine I put together. I haven't bought any of the parts yet, because my schedule is too busy right now to get any use out of it anyways. But in a month or so I will build it. So I would like your opinions on it before I start buying.

AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice core s939
ABIT AN8 s939 nvidia nforce4 ATX
Asus Geforce 6800 GT PCI-e x16 or ATI Radeon x800 XT PCI-e x16
Antec Smartpower 2.0 ATX 450w PSU
OCZ 1GB (2 x 512mb) DDR400 PC3200
And of course a hard drive, disk drive, and case

Basically I have about $1300 to spend on it, so it's kind of a budget comp. Let me know what you guys think. Like, whether there is a part I could exchange for something better or anything that comes to mind. Any constructive criticisms would be greatly appreciated. :)

You already have the basics down. Good brands and everything, though you may want to check reviews on that specific motherboard.
1. Don't skimp on the case. Preferentially get one with 120mm fan mounting to keep down the noise while still getting good airflow. You can cool an Athlon 64 VERY quietly if you do it right.
2. Get a good heatsink. Either a Zalman CNPS7000alcu or a Thermalright SP-90 (coupled with an adjustable 92mm fan or one on a fan controller). Don't settle for a heatsink that uses anything smaller than an 80mm fan (unless you like high-pitched noise at 35dBa).

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that skimping on a case with bad airflow would be bad a thing. I plan on getting an Antec Solution SLK2650-BQE ATX Mid Tower. I think it is a decent case, it has a front intake fan, and a rear 120mm fan. And an optional side fan. As for the heatsink and fan, do you think they will be necessary? The reason I'm asking is I heard that when you use aftermarket cooling you void the warranty on the processor. So I would like to keep the stock cooling if it would be enough. But thanks for the recommendation :)

On a side note: I don't plan on using SLI. It just costs too much right now, and anything that SLI systems can do, a single card system can do (albeit not as well, but good enough to play current games and stuff). So that is the reason i went with an ABIT AN8 mobo. I read some good reviews on it, but feel free to correct me.

Using the stock cooler will keep your warranty, but then again, overclocking voids that also :p

If you run using the stock cooler, the chip will run warmer than similar chips with aftermarket coolers, plus you will have little room to overclock using the stock HSF, since things will run fairly warm anyway.

The following part is in my opinion - you're free to act on this as you wish:
If a processor is "bad" from the factory, any problems with it will appear fairly quickly - certainly within a month. After around that time, if your system is stable, then you can be pretty sure the processor has no manufacturing defects. After that, if you then start overclocking it, and it subsequently breaks, you can be fairly sure that overclocking killed it, and that you really (ethically) shouldn't RMA it under warranty. Following that logic, if your CPU is all good after a month, then you should be okay to fit a (quieter) heatsink and fan to it, and ignore the warranty.

The above is only what I would do. Please read it and then consider whether you think it is a good way to work or not. If you don't think it's a good strategy, then please do not follow it :)

Cheers!

Thank you for letting me know your general rule for upgrading the cooling system. I think it is a good rule of thumb. So when I finally get my new system, I'll see how the stock cooling works out. If it runs for a few months with no problems, I'll consider your suggestion :)

I think you got the basics covered really well on your setup. I know you are just building this system. But before you pick out your case ask yourself a few things. Such as

1) Do you plan to eventually evolve into Water Cooling or Extreme Cooling.
A larger case is easier to mod or add to down the road and gives you more room to play with

2) How loud of a computer are you willing to bear with?
If you are looking for quiet then you will need to look for cases that use 120mm fans for optimum cooling and low noise

3) How much are you willing to spend on the case?
No explanation needed here.

start a thread in the Cases and PSU section and post what you are looking for and we can go from there.

Wwing49 said:
he he he... I LOVE high pitched noises at 80dB... im a dumbass.... but my comp is nice and cold!

Tornados, Come on when are you going to get some real fans on that thing. Man up and get some Deltas on that rig. My CPU fan puts out as much air as your 2 80mm Tornados combined. LOL

Electron Chaser said:
Tornados, Come on when are you going to get some real fans on that thing. Man up and get some Deltas on that rig. My CPU fan puts out as much air as your 2 80mm Tornados combined. LOL

OMG!!! When did those bad asses come out?!?!?!?! Either way, I need to get a diff case if i want to house those. BTW since you all are so kind to help this guy, help me too!!!

Electron Chaser said:

can you say Dual 220CFM Deltas? ROFL so loud but I use a fan controller.

-1cem4n

Back