• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790k temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I just upgraded to an i7-4790k and am using the Hyper 212 Evo. After a session of Mafia 2, my CPU usage maximum was 61% and max temps were 76C. Is this normal for my grade of cooler? I am running it stock ATM because I have no reason to OC.

Well i have 3 intakes and 1 exhaust at the rear. Along with the cpu exhausting right out the top. You recommend I remount the cooler?

ImageUploadedByOverclockers1439861681.861473.jpg

Since my sidepanel bulges out, it allows for my cooler when it is sideways, but if you turn it the other way, the heatpipes will be too tall for the non-bulged part of my panel

That's absolutely killing your airflow to the CPU cooler.......

I will attempt to turn the cooler when I remount it. I ran AIDA64 as is for 10 minutes and came out with these max temps: Core 1- 85C, Core 2- 88C, Core 3- 88C, and Core 4- 83C.

That is without attempting to remount it.

Just repasted and remounted. Even got it in there like you wanted ATM! Running Aida64 and will update you on the temps after 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes of Aida64, Core 1- 83C, Core 2- 86C, Core 3- 84C, Core 4- 80C. Seems effeminately a bit better, that air flow should help. I did watch it this time, all the cores seems to stay around 77C spiking up and down 8 or so degrees. Could this be because of adaptive voltage?

Also ATM, above my PSU i have 4 open PCI slots. Do you think it would be beneficial to put an 80/70mm fan there? If so, which way should I put it? An intake so it draws in fresh air for my GPU or an exhaust to help pull cooler air from the front of my case?

Last edited:
Yes, adaptive voltage will cause those spikes. Get it set on manual.
Temps are a lot better though. Quite a bit of gain from a 90° rotation.

And no, that extra intake wouldn't help because it would hinder airFLOW

Before I do that, should I just set it to the stock voltage listed on Intel's site? Or will it do that manually. I don't want it running to high, or running to low and being unstable

1.212V. I guess thats what I should set it at? :p Ai Suite and my mobo want to make my manual voltage 1V

Got it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine runs 4.4ghz on al cores stock i believe. If i don't need to change the voltage to get 4.6ghz I'd probably come close

What do you all think about the H100i GTX

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Swiftech H220-x or Cooler Glacer 240L, the Corsair units are inferior to them.

For no I don't believe I have the need for a new cooler. I don't have any reason to overclock at the moment so Im not being held back at all. I also have my doubts when I put my trust into someone else, especially when I am going to have $600 dollars worth of graphics cards underneath a water cooler. (By the way I believe I will be SLI'ing my 970 with another once Windows 10 gets all its bugs with that worked out.

Last edited:
I would trust Swiftech over Corsair, lol.
You know, the company that OEM's their coolers for other companies and has been at the forefront of watercooling innovations.

Back