• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 oc problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Spread Spectrum should always be disabled when overclocking. As far as CPU PLL Voltage, start off w/ 1.96V and work your way down to about 1.88V. The settings we posted aren't set in stone, so just experiment and see what works for you.

WHAT?

1.8 is stock there is no reason to adjust it at all for 200 BCLK higher or less than 1.8 depends on your setup. I have seen people recommend dropping it for more stability at higher BCLK, but in my experimentation up works just as well as down. NEVER that high though.

At 200x20 HTT enabled, depending on how your memory is set (assume 8x ram multi 16x uncore and 18x QPI), a couple of bumps to vcore, and bumps to VTT and QPI PLL might be needed. (also Vdimm, KEEP VDIMM WITHIN .5volts of CPU VTT)

Higher mem multis means higher uncore and QPI, means more volts to them. Tighter timings means more VTT volts. (and possibly Vdimm)

Last edited:
bad how are u stable at 4gig with 1.22vcore? im at 1.28 with the qpi at 1.3 is that normal

I dunno, just was.
My current chip (in sig) requires 1.24v @ 4GHz for 24/7 Rosetta Crunching stability. It will however boot, bench and game @ 4GHx with a vcore 1.184v in BIOS.
My 920 D0 ran a stable 4GHz overclock at less (1.22v). Alot depends on the chip too, and as always YMMV.

Yah different batches require different voltages. Although gotta admit that seems pretty low. Is that BIOS set 1.24? Or what CPUz show in windows?

Reported in CPUZ at idle. Voltage at CPU after start up. Voltage scaling definitely starting to go to pot after ~4.1GHz.

Current settings for 4.2GHz - Folding Stable:
BIOS Setting: +180Mv, target voltage 1.34875v
BIOS HW Monitor: 1.296v
CPUZ Idle: 1.296v
CPUZ Load: 1.344v
Vdrop: .05275v
LLC Enabled.

Same relationship from BIOS to CPUZ for 4.0GHz.
So take anything I said previously and add ~.05v for the BIOS Setting.

This is perhaps the source of the discrapancy between what the OP and I are seeing. It would all depend on whether he is stating his voltage set in BIOS or the Voltage at CPU displayed in CPUZ.
Using Award BIOS too much, and I get lazy. Vcore settings are always in +mv instead of actual voltage. Instead of writing down the target voltage, I always use CPUZ vcore and add the vdrop in my head. I should be more clear in my posts.
Regardless, I could use any of the voltages previously mentioned (1.22, 1.24v)as the BIOS setting,boot into windows and game to my hearts content. Forget about anything that puts a full load on the CPU though.

Last edited:
im at vcore 1.28
qpi 1.3

dram 1.66

8-8-8-20 @ 1603 or somthing

isent that high is this normal?

im at 61c full load

Your Vcore is not high, it's normal. So is your QPI voltage (QPI/DRAM voltage is what it's called in that BIOS I think). Some people will need more voltage, some will need less. It depends on many different variables. But given your setup, you are in the middle of the pack, right where you should be. Perhaps with tweaking, and more knowledge you might be able to bring that vcore down, and that's what overclocking is all about.
However, you will always be bound by what your hardware can do, so don't expect miracles.

But please answer our question above: Are you quoting the actual bios setting for Vcore, or the vcore displayed in CPUID (CPUZ, EVEREST ETC)?

ow I adjust and quote everything from the asus bios sorry I forgot to answer that

hey im back anyways i have it stable i think 19*191 vcore 1.25 qpi 1.25 vdim 1.66

i have wondering what everyone has there ioh and ich voltage?

how do u up the northbridge chipset? i was talking to some guy and he said if i raised that a tad bit i can drop my vcore down or somthing

after overclocking anything with the asus p6t deluxe v2 with windows 7 64 bit now when i boot up and when it gets into windows all my desktop icons turn into like that missing paper icon then when windows fully start they all turn back into there picture icons wtf

I'm doing a similar o/c, but milder. Mine's on a i7 940, with an ASUS P6T mobo. Testing is also being done in Windows 7 64 bit. I haven't seen any icon problems, so far. When my settings were bad, it just went to hell in a handbasket, in one jump. < sigh > :p

Have you adjusted your PCIE voltages in the BIOS, or are they stock?

Since heat is a major concern (in an arid, desert area), I'm keeping the voltages as standard as I possibly can.

These failed very quickly for me:
Multi BCLK (cpu-z calls it "BUS")
=========================
20 & 188
21 & 180
22 & 175

(22 is the default multiplier for the 940)

It appears stable (but still testing with Prime95) with 21 & 175. That gives me 3675MHz, and I'd like to ease that up to 3800MHz, with as little changes as possible. This rig runs "headless" while folding 24/7, nearly every day, so stability is key.

I'm leaving DRAM particulars alone, just changing the manual settings for multi and BCLK, right now.

after overclocking anything with the asus p6t deluxe v2 with windows 7 64 bit now when i boot up and when it gets into windows all my desktop icons turn into like that missing paper icon then when windows fully start they all turn back into there picture icons wtf

This is normal and not related to overclocking. The booting process loads your icons.

I bumped an old thread discussing this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6313870

yes pcie is stock

should I change this? isent this just for my graphic cards?

the bumped thread is talking about windows 7

anyone? I have a do step i7 920 on a asus p6t deluxe v2 there isent anymore advanced settings I should make changes to that will lower the vcore and making it more stable?

is there a thread that shows other peoples 4ghz ocing of the i7 920 listing there volts and anyother settings?

:cool:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595403

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Back