• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICD7 Oringinal testers need a sub-test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nd4spdbh2, Thanks for the pics. do you have the ICD before and after thermal data and could you post that as well?

The E4300 is similar to what I am seeing at xtremesystems As I noted there, the bent edges and corners act as reinforcement and are not going to flex a lot.

I was thinking filing a bevel on the edges and to relieve the contact area might as good as lapping and certainly faster to improve contact.

Paste is definitely going to be several times thicker and not hit the best bondline. Ideally the heat transfer should be IHS>Particle>Sink This is more like IHS>Particle, Particle Particle, Particle>Sink would tend to flatten the thermal performance between compounds

The stock E6600 Looks like it has great contact and pressure, Be interesting to see the digital mapping on both and the compared thermal delta's between the before and after compound tests

nd4spdbh2, Thanks for the pics. do you have the ICD before and after thermal data and could you post that as well?

The E4300 is similar to what I am seeing at xtremesystems As I noted there, the bent edges and corners act as reinforcement and are not going to flex a lot.

I was thinking filing a bevel on the edges and to relieve the contact area might as good as lapping and certainly faster to improve contact.

Paste is definitely going to be several times thicker and not hit the best bondline. Ideally the heat transfer should be IHS>Particle>Sink This is more like IHS>Particle, Particle Particle, Particle>Sink would tend to flatten the thermal performance between compounds

The stock E6600 Looks like it has great contact and pressure, Be interesting to see the digital mapping on both and the compared thermal delta's between the before and after compound tests

thermal data for the E6600 cooler is in my post just above, but i dont think it was lapped when i did the original test... looks like ill need to redo the thermal test for the E6600 stock cooler, i just gotta go grab some AS5

And upon futher close inspection your right... its literally a .5mm rim around the whole edge of the cpu thats "holding" the hs above the entire ihs the center of the IHS is slightly higher than the rest but its still no where near the height of the edges... hmm looks like ill be taking a small file to the edge of the IHS. but ill preforme a ICD7 and AS5 comparison with the chip in its current stock state and the E6600 cooler.

thermal data for the E6600 cooler is in my post just above, but i dont think it was lapped when i did the original test... looks like ill need to redo the thermal test for the E6600 stock cooler, i just gotta go grab some AS5

And upon futher close inspection your right... its literally a .5mm rim around the whole edge of the cpu thats "holding" the hs above the entire ihs the center of the IHS is slightly higher than the rest but its still no where near the height of the edges... hmm looks like ill be taking a small file to the edge of the IHS. but ill preforme a ICD7 and AS5 comparison with the chip in its current stock state and the E6600 cooler.

An after print would be nice as well as the thermal data comparison

OK redid ICD7 vs AS5 tests...

Setup... E4300 @ 3.0GHZ @ 1.25V w/ stock e6600 cooler Lapped (pressure test above) stock mounting clips, fan = full speed

AS5 Test (brand new AS5)

Ambient = 86.8*F

all cpu temps in *C
~~~~~~~~ TAT ~~~~~~~~ Coretemp
IDLE~~~~~46/47~~~~~~~~ 44/46

LOAD~~~~ 70/70 ~~~~~~~ 72.5/72.5 (was flucuating between 72/73*C)

ICD7 TEST (brand new ICD7

Ambient = 86.2*F

All cpu temps in *C
IDLE ~~~~~ 45/46 ~~~~~~~ 43/45

LOAD~~~~~ 68.5/68.5 ~~~~~ 70.5/70.5 (flucuating between whole temps above and below, so average)

Looks ilke the ICD7 has about e 1.5-2*C advantage at load an ~ 1*C @ idle with this setup...

Joe C, would it be beneficial to your studdies if i took this same setup, and instead of the weaker stock intel clips, used a bolt through kit (taking a pressure paper test) and another round of TIM testing?

OK redid ICD7 vs AS5 tests...

Setup... E4300 @ 3.0GHZ @ 1.25V w/ stock e6600 cooler Lapped (pressure test above) stock mounting clips, fan = full speed

AS5 Test (brand new AS5)

Ambient = 86.8*F

all cpu temps in *C
IDLE~~~~~46/47~~~~~~~~ 44/46

LOAD~~~~ 70/70 ~~~~~~~ 72.5/72.5 (was flucuating between 72/73*C)

ICD7 TEST (brand new ICD7

Ambient = 86.2*F

All cpu temps in *C
IDLE ~~~~~ 45/46 ~~~~~~~ 43/45

LOAD~~~~~ 68.5/68.5 ~~~~~ 70.5/70.5 (flucuating between whole temps above and below, so average)

Looks ilke the ICD7 has about e 1.5-2*C advantage at load an ~ 1*C @ idle with this setup...

Joe C, would it be beneficial to your studdies if i took this same setup, and instead of the weaker stock intel clips, used a bolt through kit (taking a pressure paper test) and another round of TIM testing?

I think it would, the stock sinks in general have been giving me problem on the Anandtech forum I have a couple one is a couple of C higher. Much apreciated

I think it would, the stock sinks in general have been giving me problem on the Anandtech forum I have a couple one is a couple of C higher. Much apreciated

ok tommorrow ill do another round but this time with my backplate and bolt through pressure mounting. should be intresting.

Very interesting, Looks like the heat pipes and support plates were sanded flush after assy. The generally higher pressure on the support plates between the pipes make me think the sink is bowing when under mounting pressure

Very interesting, Looks like the heat pipes and support plates were sanded flush after assy. The generally higher pressure on the support plates between the pipes make me think the sink is bowing when under mounting pressure

that and it looks like another case of the same problem i have... IE ~ a 1mm rim around the entire IHS of the cpu that contacts the HS first.

I didn't recieve a tube of ICD7 but I did get some from a senior member and posted results do I still qualify? Oh nevermind I guess it's over maybe I should have looked at the last page.

OK here are the pressure tests of my setup... on the left is the original (pictured above) E6600 hs on E4300 w/ stock clips

Right is the same cpu and hs but with a bolt through pressure mount.... so far its looking like the extra pressure is yeilding another .5 - 1*C better temps... but ambient temps were rising very fast during the test do to the heat! haha ill fully test later today when temps level off.

Attachments

• icd72.jpg
    icd72.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 163
OK my thermal testing is done, i will be sending out my results back to you JoeC here within the next day or so, i will type up in an excel sheet my results for you.

Also have one last question, what was the pressure range on this paper... was it 28-85psi stuff? reason i ask is i plan on requesting a sample from the company, this paper is way cool haha (EXPENSIVE though! u guys musta spent a FORTUNE fo all the sample you sent out)

OK my thermal testing is done, i will be sending out my results back to you JoeC here within the next day or so, i will type up in an excel sheet my results for you.

Also have one last question, what was the pressure range on this paper... was it 28-85psi stuff? reason i ask is i plan on requesting a sample from the company, this paper is way cool haha (EXPENSIVE though! u guys musta spent a FORTUNE fo all the sample you sent out)

Ahaah Ive sent a sample request too but I took 28-85 psi paper

I found some similar paper on mcmastercarr but I dont want to spend over 50$ for a 11x12 sheet :(

28-85 psi

Back