• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE11 Development F12 Screen shows Edge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

I noticed this in ie11 on a Windows 7 machine after someone who really isn't a tech person at all says to me we're running MS Edge not ie11.

While I'm tech savvy I donot generally mess with developing mode f12 in ie so wasn't sure on this. I wouldn't think it's edge as as far as I'm aware edge is ground up built for Windows 10.

What I'm guessing is that it is some sort of compatibility testing mode? If so why isn't ie11 listed?

Thx

Attachments

• eD4U8.png
    eD4U8.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 143
Edge is the codename given to the browser. It is the 11th iteration of Internet explorer, but they went with a new name to break tradition, and to try and gain user interest with a memorable name.

While it has vast improvements over previous versions, I still prefer Chrome for its light weight simplicity, and the fact that my bookmarks are tied to my google account.

I noticed this in ie11 on a Windows 7 machine after someone who really isn't a tech person at all says to me we're running MS Edge not ie11.

While I'm tech savvy I donot generally mess with developing mode f12 in ie so wasn't sure on this. I wouldn't think it's edge as as far as I'm aware edge is ground up built for Windows 10.

What I'm guessing is that it is some sort of compatibility testing mode? If so why isn't ie11 listed?

Thx

I think you are correct on that. I have never been a fan of Edge. It lacks some features I would expect of a browser like the ability to drag and drop shortcuts onto the desktop. IMO it is also more difficult to customize. Settings are hard to find and more difficult to use.

That is strange. I am on Windows 10 and f12 shows Edge as the default using Edge and IE11 shows it as default In IE11. What does it say under the settings> about button? On Windows 10 I have both so it was easy enough to look and see that they are both what they are supposed to be but it normally shows the browser edition as the default and appears that the machine is using IE7? I do have Classic Shell running but neither of them look the same as you posted in emulation.

Back