• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a failure!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, cheap stuff, America/Canada is a throwaway society, prowl the curbs on garbage day, pick up anything that used to be a computer, pick up anything electronic, stereos, VCRs, Microwaves, (leave TVs on the curb though, you'll end up with a pile of tubes that are gonna cost $$$ to dispose of)

Out of virtually any old PC you get AT LEAST, 1 fan out of the PSU, probably about equivalent to your basic 32CFM or thereabouts generic case fan. Sheet metal, you can remake side panels from the tops of old desktop cases, experiment with metal cutting techniques, even build a custom case out of old case covers.
You'll probably find all manner of heatsinks in PSUs and VCRs, heatsink everything :D, Microwaves have awesome blowers in. Displays from Microwaves and VCRs could make some cool mods.

For those of you in the UK, I used to find that municipal rubbish collection sites used to pull out anything that might concievably still be useful and the guys who work there sell them for a quid a piece or something. I had PCs from there before and a whole satelite TV system. It's worth giving the places a look over every now and again for anything interesting.

Another thing you might want to keep and eye out for is an old dishwasher, they sometimes have a pump in which would be useable in a watercooling project. Just grab one of those, and then keep an eye out for anyone on the street re-doing their plumbing and you might get some useful fittings and bits of pipe....

Real modders do it with junk, wannabes buy it to bolt on.

Junk is good, junk make cool mods, junk is good, junk make cool mods....... :D ;) :beer:
Road Warrior

Heh, I live in a middle/upper-class area, and i noticed people throw out GOOD stuff...printers, copying machines, stereos, etc.

good stuff! Plus, next Mon. I have school off, and Monday=trash day! :)

man i'd be out huntin if trash day around here wasnt like every day.. theres about 30 different trash companys around so i cant predict em :( lol anyway , good idea i think yardsales would be good too you can allways get cheap stuff there and look for estate sales as well !

i managed to get a swamp load of stuff when my school got new computers. managed to get a rock solid 2 inch thick desk aswell.

Just look around.

Turando

Hey man, I'm only 14 and I did my first mod to my pc last year. It was pretty simple. I added a side window, a top window and a hard drive window. I borrowed a tool from a friend and everything worked out. I wouldn't start w/ something that hard.

Back