• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im new. i need help on selecting heatsink and fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoon3606

Registered
First, i gotta know what type of socket i have and whether it is a, b, or c. How do you find out?
I have P4 1.4g from gateway. bought it about 3 years ago.
Stock heat sink is square with many tower-like projections.(is it called Northbridge?)

I found this article
http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/p4sum.asp

Looks like Thermalright SP-94 cools the best(since i dont care about noise level at all). what do you all think? and what fan do you recommend to get?

First off, you have an obsolete socket 423 Willamette P-4. Most P-4 coolers on the market right now will not fit because they are designed for the more common socket 478. You do not have an A, B, or C processor. The Willamettes didn't have any letters after the speed designation. If this is still in the Gateway computer, then it's highly unlikely you will be able to overclock it because the motherboard is probably not adjustable. If you can't overclock, then there is no reason to spend the cash for better cooling. The CPU heatsink is big. The smaller heatsink you see on the motherboard cools the northbridge chip. Hope this helps.

Back