• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm new to this - XP 1800+ Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

OK, I got an XP 1800+ with a Dragon Orb III on it. What kind of overclocking do you think I could do with this? It's on an MSI K7T 266 Pro2 board, my PC2100 has heatsinks on it, I think I'm good to go for a start with overclocking.

The reason I as is I'm a poor *** college student here... I busted my balls to get my machine together and I really don't want to break anything, especially while it's new! I've read that the Dragon Orb III isn't the best CPU cooler out there, but's it's too late to change for the time being. Plus it looks cool and I care about that crap.

What can I say, I'm in an art school...

--Illah

Illah said:
OK, I got an XP 1800+ with a Dragon Orb III on it. What kind of overclocking do you think I could do with this? It's on an MSI K7T 266 Pro2 board, my PC2100 has heatsinks on it, I think I'm good to go for a start with overclocking.

The reason I as is I'm a poor *** college student here... I busted my balls to get my machine together and I really don't want to break anything, especially while it's new! I've read that the Dragon Orb III isn't the best CPU cooler out there, but's it's too late to change for the time being. Plus it looks cool and I care about that crap.

What can I say, I'm in an art school...

--Illah
First off you want to download some kind of monitoring software so you can keep an eye on your temps (cough orb cough) like MBM (motherboard monitor) if your cpu temps are high to begin with 40 - 45 c there is really no room for ocing until you get better cooling (witch im sure they will be) Second you will only be able to raise the FSB unless you plan on unlocking your CPU...

Last edited:
The temps are around 35 C idle and the highest I've seen is 41 C, but that was only for a minute. It rarely hits more than 39 C, even after a few hours of games.

--Illah

Re: Re: I'm new to this - XP 1800+ Overclocking

rUfUnKy said:
First off you want to download some kind of monitoring software so you can keep an eye on your temps (cough orb cough) like MBM (motherboard monitor) if your cpu temps are high to begin with 40 - 45 c there is really no room for ocing until you get better cooling (witch im sure they will be) Second you will only be able to raise the FSB unless you plan on unlocking it...

ok first off don't be fooled by my name cause i couldn't think of anything when i was making a name. Second...i didn't unlock my athlon 1.4 and it ran fine when i increased the multiplier and the fsb. I got it to 1.6 altho it burned out after a few months running at stock speed. I think i crushed the chip with the waterblock but im not sure. My temps were around 30C. I don't know if you can increase the multiplier without unlocking on the xp chips but on the t-birds u don't have to.

Re: Re: Re: I'm new to this - XP 1800+ Overclocking

dragon orb 3 said:

ok first off don't be fooled by my name cause i couldn't think of anything when i was making a name. Second...i didn't unlock my athlon 1.4 and it ran fine when i increased the multiplier and the fsb. I got it to 1.6 altho it burned out after a few months running at stock speed. I think i crushed the chip with the waterblock but im not sure. My temps were around 30C. I don't know if you can increase the multiplier without unlocking on the xp chips but on the t-birds u don't have to.
Xp's are factory locked MP's are not....

Illah said:
The temps are around 35 C idle and the highest I've seen is 41 C, but that was only for a minute. It rarely hits more than 39 C, even after a few hours of games.

--Illah
Well no one can really tell you what kind of results you are going to get because there are so many different factors but we can try and help if your oc comes to a sticking point...The best thing to do is start raising your FSB in small increments..when you can no longer load your os then up the core voltage and so on... keep a good eye on your temps! .. http://overclockers.cssftware.com/cpudb/index.cfm

Last edited:
usually around 1700 is the limit of xp 1800 using air cooling. Just keep rising the fsb and then run prime 95 to check for stability and keep monitoring the temps, everything would be fine if you do it that way. I hit 152 fsb at 1748 and all was fine that will give you an idea.

Sounds good. My highest hopes are set at the 1.67GHz range, I was just trying to get to the 2000+. I wouldn't be dissapointed if all I made it was a bit over 1.6. I'll give it a shot and let you all know how I do later tonight.

--Illah

Hmmm... For my first try I could only get it stable at 136 FSB. It's a start I guess, but pretty crappy.

Any advice?

--Illah

Illah said:
Hmmm... For my first try I could only get it stable at 136 FSB. It's a start I guess, but pretty crappy.

Any advice?

--Illah
Did you try raising your core voltage?? What brand of ram are you using? I'm not familiar with your motherboard but you also want to make sure that your divisor is set right (most mobo's do this automatically) if it is set wrong it will run your hardware way out of spec causing you not to be able to achieve a high OC if any. The next thing, you can try raising your VIO this will increases your agp, pci and memory voltage and gives you more stability but be very very careful with this!!Only up it a little because you can easily fry your components...cpu's can handle voltage better than most hardware...

Back