• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel q9650 3.0 quad xfx 780i motherboard overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superlurker

New to overclocking and I wanted to over clock the 3.0 to 3.4 ( 3.6 if it will run cool with air cooler) .. just to give a little boost with out over heating
Intel q9650 3.0 quad xfx 780i motherboard
I have corsair dual channel 800MHz, 5-5-5-15, 1.80V 4gigs.

Does anyone know what the bios setting would be?
Or give me settings that might be the best settings..

Thanks

Etch system is abit different, the setting that work for you will not work for everyone.

I never had a 780i mobo so I can't been all too much help. I only had q9650 with x38/48 mobos. If your lucky you'll need 1.4v or less, set your ram to run at stock speeds or 1:1 witch is simple at 400mhz fsb, you will also need to up the north bridge voltage. On x38/48 that's about 1.3v-1.35v most of the time but it will be different with 780i.

If I were you I would lower you CPUs multi as low as possible then set the fsb to 400mhz and get that stable, then up the multi.

Last edited:
So .. Can you give me the steps on that .. looks pretty good.. Did you let the multiplier alone.. and adjust FSB?? I would like to know step by step.. so I don't make a mistake? do you think that these settings will work on the XFX 780i?
Thanks

set pci freq to 100 first. then lock your multiplier to 9.
start here and increase the FSB by 5 each time and test after booting. i use Intel Burn Test

FSB: 350

Vcore: 1.275v
FSBterm: 1.3v
NBvolt: 1.3v

Look up you ram settings and set the timings manually. I had to set my Ram voltage to 1.975V. set the ratio to 1:1 as well.

Superlurker, you need to read the bios section of your motherboard manual as well as the guide linked for you. Your 780i chipset has some different names for some settings compared to the Intel chipsets most of us are familiar with.
To start with I seem to remember nForce using the quad-pumped front side bus (FSB) in their bios. Is you default FSB 333 MHz or 1333 MHz?
Some voltages may be named differently too.
Q9650 meant set the PCIe Freq to 100, not PCI. ;)

^100% agree. and yeah sorry i meant PCIe Freq. Also you may not need to raise the Ram voltages. My ram happened to be really touchy so i had to but start it with manufacturer recommended specifications

So .. Can you give me the steps on that .. looks pretty good.. Did you let the multiplier alone.. and adjust FSB?? I would like to know step by step.. so I don't make a mistake? do you think that these settings will work on the XFX 780i?
Thanks
Did you check out the guide? Why are certainly here to help, but you should look at it so you know what's going on. :)

Back