• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP Cop help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

ok so Im trying to setup a firewall with IP Cop and am starting to get frustrated. Right now I'm trying to just setup a Green + Red setup to test it. I think Eventually I need green + orange + red even though the green won't be used.

so here is my setup. I have the red interface set to the onboard NIC...and configured with a static IP. That cable is coming from a campus connection. Then I have a 3comm PCI NIC configured as green with 192.168.1.1 as IP and 255.255.255.0 as mask. and that cable is going into a hub. then I have my computer plugged into the hub and am I have tried setting my machine to DHCP and to a 192.168.1.x static IP either way I can't ping the firewall at 192.168.1.1 anyone know why?...it seems like it should work.

**edit** ok it works now, I moved green to 192.168.0.1, apparently the hub has some web based options you access on 192.168.1.1

but let me ask for advice. the setup I need is nothing complicated..some additional protection for web servers which I think they can't be on green do to the port translation. So does that mean I need to go green + orange + red and stick the webserevers on orange and put a third NIC in the computer to assign to green and then just not use it? too bad there's no orange + red config.

Last edited:
i have my server set up on the green interface(only because i dont want to put the server completely on the outside since it serves a multitude of functions for my household). if you arent using the green interface for anything else(other pcs) then it would be fine to set up your server on it. just go into the port forwarding section, it will work

I'll look into it that would be ideal, you did see the fact that these are webservers not just file servers for clients...they definatly need some ports freed up to the outside world through red

Last edited:
A webserver needs only 1, max 2 ports open to the public. As for fileservers: what protocol do you want to use for that?

klingens said:
A webserver needs only 1, max 2 ports open to the public. As for fileservers: what protocol do you want to use for that?

There's 1 file server running SMB, there is one web server that needs more than just port 80, it's got windows media server and the videos come out of a different port, but I know what it is if I look it up. Also Windows remote access is running and before I think it was just pin holed to my clients static IP.

I'm setting up this firewall to replace a FBSD firewall that was setup before my time that died . For now I'm basically trying to mirror that setup which was all servers (SMB and web) on one switch...internet came into firewall and back out of firewall into that switch. All client computers are not behind the firewall. I suppose my client could sit in the green zone with the servers and that way windows remote access can be locked down since only I need to use it.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone can shed some light onto this because I'm missing some logic in here somewhere. Right now I'm testing the IPcop firewall on an 8 port hub with a red/green setup. Internet connected to red...green connected to hub, client machine connected to hub. I got the client to connect to the IPcop web configuration by using a DHCP address 192.168.0.* range. But I can't get internet access, I setup a port forward on port 80 for dest/source and I get nothing. The only tricky thing is is is on a college campus network, so to get internet access you either have to use a static, or register with their DHCP...red interface is a static so I would assume any web requests coming from any green IP would actually be requesting to the campus servers using that red interface static. If I try to just change the port forward and my client machines IP's to a campus static I get nothing and can;t connect to the web menu anymore. How should I be setting this up?

Can ipcop get out to the internet ? Go to the updates page and see if it will refresh.

You might also try to go dhcp on red and see what happens.

Back