• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it normal to get FPS drops with Vsync on if you can handle it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

So I get screen tearing on basically every game I play. So I turn on vsync.

However, it seems to limit the ability of the card. Lets take fallout 4 for example. With Vsync off I can run anywhere in the world at 1440p and never drop below 150 FPS. However..screen tearing.

If I turn on vsync and I do the same thing, anywhere I dropped fps from say 170 to 150, I would drop from 60 fps to say, 45 fps. I would get stutters and such. but the GPU can 100% handle a steady 60 fps. So is this normal?

Is this the only options, either deal with screen tearing or deal with stuttering fps losses?

I can see this in other games like Witcher 3, and Ark. Same issue.

I just want a good constant FPS..without screen tearing..

That's normal, have you tried adaptive V-sync or fast from the nvidia control panel. You can also try enabling triple buffering, should help with high FPS games

That's normal, have you tried adaptive V-sync or fast from the nvidia control panel. You can also try enabling triple buffering, should help with high FPS games

Ive tried those with no real difference in the issue.

So without buying an expensive g-sync monitor, is the choice always between screen tearing or stuttering? There is no in between? no way to get constant FPS?

Id have to guess you are getting drops in game below 60 fps but just dont notice. Vsync only caps frames. It shouldnt affect the minimum like that. If your minimums were 100, it should never drop below 60 with vsync on.

Id have to guess you are getting drops in game below 60 fps but just dont notice. Vsync only caps frames. It shouldnt affect the minimum like that. If your minimums were 100, it should never drop below 60 with vsync on.

I definitely notice drops. Id prefer running 30fps constant over 60fps with drops into the 40. FPS drops are so noticeable.

But thats the issue im having. In every game im playing (over 2 monitors, 2 brands of cards). Always screen tears, aand always has fps drops with vsync on.

For example, Fallout 4, 1440p I can get 175-200 fps. I drops into the 150s but never below 150. Even around Corvega, where the biggest drop happens. I enable vsync and go to the same areas, I get drops into the low 40s.

Witcher 3, enable hair works, and I get drops into the 100s. Enable vsync and will drop from 60 to constant 40s.

I can replicate this issue with the 1080ti and R9 390.

It seems what happening is vsync is capping my framerate to refresh rate (as it should) but also any fps drops I get, it doesn't compensate for the fact i can keep it above 60FPS, but just thinks its only has power for the 60, and does drops from the 60fps instead of keeping it constant. Which doesn't seem correct.

Issue im having, vsync, Ill get sub 60 stutters into the 40s, or vsync off with a constant 150fps, but screen tears.

That does not sound right if you enable vsync and have sub 60 FPS when it does not drop from 150-100 FPS with vsync disabled. Sounds like you have a driver problem. What monitors do you have and what is the refresh rates? What happens when you try adaptive V-sync?

Vsync, as defined, should not behave that way. It only drops to multiples of the refresh rate when FPS go below that.

I'd look at reinstalling drivers or updating... something. But the dual monitor thing could also be borking it as well.

That does not sound right if you enable vsync and have sub 60 FPS when it does not drop from 150-100 FPS with vsync disabled. Sounds like you have a driver problem. What monitors do you have and what is the refresh rates? What happens when you try adaptive V-sync?

samsung lu28e590ds and a asus mg28uq

Had this issue before I completely reformatted and reinstalled everything about a week ago. So dont know if can be a driver issue. Especially across 2 different cards (1080TI and the R9 390). Both are 60hz

I see no difference with Adaptive or Fast vsync.

samsung lu28e590ds and a asus mg28uq

Had this issue before I completely reformatted and reinstalled everything about a week ago. So dont know if can be a driver issue. Especially across 2 different cards (1080TI and the R9 390). Both are 60hz

I see no difference with Adaptive or Fast vsync.

I think a monitor is screwing up things the Asus mg28uq has a variable refresh rate. Try one monitor at a time with Adaptive vsync.

I think a monitor is screwing up things the Asus mg28uq has a variable refresh rate. Try one monitor at a time with Adaptive vsync.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I dont run Dual Monitor. Just single. I just have 2 monitors. They are both freesync monitors. (I was amd fanboy at the time...)

Sorry for misunderstanding. I dont run Dual Monitor. Just single. I just have 2 monitors. They are both freesync monitors. (I was amd fanboy at the time...)

Do you have the same results on both monitors running one at a time?

Back