• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to get a WU under 3 hours?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

Is it possible to get work units under 3 hours? My times on the work units seem to be getting faster on each new WU. I just pulled off this morning a WU @ 4hours 9 minutes 6.9secs. I would like to know if the CLC version will allow me to get to 3 hours or less for i'm using the screensaver version. I disable all running software running in my taskbar and all other software exited then i minimize the SETI@home program which is set to run all the time, no screensavers are on , monitor set to blank and then turn off speakers and monitor.

Specs :
P4 1.7 GHZ Not overclocked till i get my waterblock although i've had it at 1869 stock heatsink and fan but ca't run 3d apps without the app shuting down and going to desktop.
ASUS P4T
256 M Samsung RDRAM
2 PSU's (350W + 300W)
2 Seagate 30.6 G Barracudas
Pioneer slot DVD
ASUS V7700 Geforce 2 deluxe
Soundblaster Live w/digital i/o daughter card
Win98

By the way I joined your team for i just started doing WU's last week and can't give you too many WU's without wife bitching this computer is on too much. I'll try to give you 10-15 per week.

Burning Phoenix said:
Is it possible to get work units under 3 hours? My times on the work units seem to be getting faster on each new WU. I just pulled off this morning a WU @ 4hours 9 minutes 6.9secs. I would like to know if the CLC version will allow me to get to 3 hours or less for i'm using the screensaver version. I disable all running software running in my taskbar and all other software exited then i minimize the SETI@home program which is set to run all the time, no screensavers are on , monitor set to blank and then turn off speakers and monitor.

Specs :
P4 1.7 GHZ Not overclocked till i get my waterblock although i've had it at 1869 stock heatsink and fan but ca't run 3d apps without the app shuting down and going to desktop.
ASUS P4T
256 M Samsung RDRAM
2 PSU's (350W + 300W)
2 Seagate 30.6 G Barracudas
Pioneer slot DVD
ASUS V7700 Geforce 2 deluxe
Soundblaster Live w/digital i/o daughter card
Win98

By the way I joined your team for i just started doing WU's last week and can't give you too many WU's without wife bitching this computer is on too much. I'll try to give you 10-15 per week.

First of all, Welcome to the Team!!! Any and all WU's helps us to get closer to #1 - and are greatly appreciated.

Secondly, when you're ready to o/c your rig - getting it up to about 2.0ghz should get you into the sub 4hr range.

I've also got a 1.7 clocked at 2GHz and it does get under 3 hours from time to time - I'd say maybe 1/3 of the units it complete are in the 2 hr 55 min range. I had it up to 2.2GHz when I stuck in the freezer for a couple of days. It was getting around 2 hrs 30 mins, but then my fiance asked why a computer was in our new freezer instead of food, so I was forced to take it out :(

TC said:
I've also got a 1.7 clocked at 2GHz and it does get under 3 hours from time to time - I'd say maybe 1/3 of the units it complete are in the 2 hr 55 min range. I had it up to 2.2GHz when I stuck in the freezer for a couple of days. It was getting around 2 hrs 30 mins, but then my fiance asked why a computer was in our new freezer instead of food, so I was forced to take it out :(

Get a bar frig. I have one and am seriously thinking of modding it. Cut a 80mm blow hole in the door even with the freezer box, run 3 1/2" dia. tubing directly to the HSF. May not look pretty, but would give a constant supply of cold fresh air.

TC said:
I had it up to 2.2GHz when I stuck in the freezer for a couple of days. It was getting around 2 hrs 30 mins, but then my fiance asked why a computer was in our new freezer instead of food, so I was forced to take it out :(

LOL! Home made KryoTech!

Did you not get condensation problems with this? And how did you get the wires outside the fride w/o modding your fridge?

BTW that is an insane frequency. Thats getting close to LN2 cooled rigs :D

yep... I've been there too Chawken... this is serious consideration... I am thinking that a person could really modify a case to take most of the fridge components too... or, as you said, do a "stand along side" version....

Either way... it must be done... condensation would be come an issue though... my main reason for not going foward at this point...

happy crunching!!

Morpheus said:
yep... I've been there too Chawken... this is serious consideration... I am thinking that a person could really modify a case to take most of the fridge components too... or, as you said, do a "stand along side" version....

Either way... it must be done... condensation would be come an issue though... my main reason for not going foward at this point...

happy crunching!!

Condensation is my only stopping point right now. As soon as I figure out how to dry the air, from the frig to the PC, then I will go forward. One advantage of the "'stand along side' version" is having the beer a little closer - and an excuse to have the bar frig in the comp room, instead of the garage.

I did mod the case - drilled a one inch hole through the bottom to run the cables through (fiance doesn't know fortunately :D ) When I was finished I refilled the hole with spray foam. Condensation was not an issue since the entire unit was inside the freezer, and the air tends to be very dry and everything was frozen. Just as a precaution I did spray the board with Konform.

In general it really wasn't all that impressive of an overclock. I was just using the factory heatsink. The chip will post at 2.2GHz at room temperature, and 2.1 is borderline stable - generally will run Seti for a day or two then crash. Even though the P4 isn't as efficient as say an Athlon, I have a feeling they're going to hit some insane speeds with relative ease once they move to a .13 micron fab. A friend of mine at Philips EMT overclocked an early Northwood sample to 2.5GHz with the stock heat sink.

The bar fridge sounds interesting. The only problem I found was that even a relatively large freezer was having a difficult time with the load placed on it. With nothing in it the temp dropped to -20, but with the computer it could only muster 35. The thermal diode was reading 50ish, so that's how bad the oem HSF is.

Do you know where you can get KryoTech cases ? Or built in A/C units in cases. I know I heard about this stuff a while back. I would love to overclock things much more with a all in one package.

Maestro

Maestro said:
Do you know where you can get KryoTech cases ? Or built in A/C units in cases. I know I heard about this stuff a while back. I would love to overclock things much more with a all in one package.

Maestro

You know I bet you could get a rack enclosure and mount a window AC unit in the back :D

Maestro said:

Maestro

www.vapochill.com

Its $600 for barebones unfortunately but it can easily cope with anything you chuck at it.

PS...Stop changing your avatar, my 56k connection cant cope with all the 200kb image updating :) :) :)

I've owned two Vapochills. I bought one when they first became available in the states. Talk about junk - they really had some work to do. Well junk is a little harsh, but lets say it needed a lot of tweaking. I ended up mounting the cooling unit in a different case and wrote a review of my experience that was published here.

I waited until they came up with the new socket version and tried it out. Definitely some good improvements and no more condensation trouble. The problem now, well this has always been a problem - cost. It's gotten to the point where cpu's overclock very well without supercooling, and paying $600+ just to squeeze out another hundred MHz is really not viable for most people. They ought to be able to get their production cost down to $250-300 per unit (I've built cooling units so I have an idea what those parts cost) so you're looking at a major markup. Either that or they need to find a different channel for parts, or maybe they just can't get the volume high enough to get discounts on parts. Whatever the case I don't think I'll buy another one unless they come down to maybe $350-375.

Back