• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is power supply working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nildey

Registered
Anybody know if power supplies work even without a MOBO installed? I am modding my new rig right now and wanted to try out the lighting in the case without the MOBO installed...none of them work....

Any idea?

nope.

modern power supplies are controlled through the motherboard.
you press the switch and it makes a connection on the mobo. a signal is sent to the power supply which turns on.

if there's a physical switch on the back that only turns on/off power getting into the supply

theres actually a wire on atx supplies which is only used for turning the supply on/off.

flyingember said:
nope.

modern power supplies are controlled through the motherboard.
you press the switch and it makes a connection on the mobo. a signal is sent to the power supply which turns on.

if there's a physical switch on the back that only turns on/off power getting into the supply

theres actually a wire on atx supplies which is only used for turning the supply on/off.
lol last part is right but first part is way wrong...

jump the green wire to a black wire on the motherboard connector.

Also wrong forum.

if you haven't done that yet I should warn you:
that different manfacturers sometimes color their wiring differently. one black wire can be different than another (I have seen this with different supplies in the past 6 months)
that dell does it entirely differently (at least for a while, not sure about now) with their wiring. you have to hand redo a reg atx supply to work on a dell board for example

and if you do do this, be sure you don't use bare wire and electrocute yourself.

Back