• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a difference when gaming between the 6800k and the 6700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
I'm pretty torn between getting the 6800k and the 6700k. I do like that the 6800k has more lanes. I'm going to be mostly gaming so It does make more sense to go with the 6700k, even though It does have better single core performance, but when will that begin to show when gaming? If anything the multi core performance will begin to show in newer games. And is there even a difference when gaming (fps) with the 6800k as opposed to the 6700k? Doesn't it really depend on the gpu more? When I view benchmarks comparing the two cpu's they are always almost identical give or take a couple of frames.Am i really going to miss anything if I go x99? When I build my rig I'm looking for something that will last me quite some time before I need to upgrade, but I will upgrade things such as storage and GPU. Am i really going to miss anything if I go x99?

And the price difference is really minimal: The 6700k + Asus Maximus VIII Formula = $700

The 6800k + Asus x99 ROG Strix Gaming = $765

It really depends on the GPU if you will be using GTX 1080 SLI or single GPU, also if the monitor will be 4K. If you wan't FPS in the 100s to 150s with the 1440p monitor with GTX 1080 SLI you will want i7 6800k. Now if you are going to run 4K monitor the back pressure from the GPU utilization will not allow the i7 6800k to be used fully in gaming so you will be just fine for 5 years with i7 6700k. In the past 5 years it is about 25% improvement in CPU performance.

A lot of games now are console ports that use 8 cores, so games are using more cores however game enhancement progress is slow they need to run on a console also most folks who game play on entry level hardware according to steam survey. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Also with the Z170 you don't need such of a expensive motherboard unless you need the features, they will all overclock about the same on Ambient also last just as long. My $90.00 GA Z170 HD3 is overclocked to 4.5GHz.

With a single GTX 1080 running 1440p and you don't mind paying that much more for a 6800k you should be good for five years with the CPU, however you will need to upgrade the GPU with new games in the future.

With a i7 6800k you can overclock to match the speed or faster than the i7 6700k.

One good thing playing competitive gaming with faster FPS there is less input lag from the controller because the game engine runs faster so there is less latency measured in Milliseconds.

To give you a example I went with the i5 2500k for five years and now I have i5 6600k and on some games it gives a 25% improvement with the FPS going up, it just depends on the game. For me I did not need the upgrade the price was right $409.97 so I did the CPU, memory, board upgrade for the fun of it, the games I play like BF4 and STAR WARS Battlefront I was already running 100 FPS with my i5 2500k EVGA SSC GTX 970 1080p setup.

Last edited:
I just found this video comparing I7 6700k to 5820K, the IPC (instruction per cycle) of the 5820k is vary close to the i7 6800k.

Thanks for the video. I'm probably going to go with the 6700k since it's really all I need and hopefully it'll last me for some years (at least 4-5). Appreciate your help :D

Thanks for the video. I'm probably going to go with the 6700k since it's really all I need and hopefully it'll last me for some years (at least 4-5). Appreciate your help :D

I also agree after watching that video a few times it looks like skylake i7 6700k architecture is much better clock for clock with 4 cores 8 threads for games now and into the future for five years.:)

I know my i5 6600k will last me for five years because I don't play too many games with AI mostly first person shooter and car racing games that are GPU heavy compared to AI, CPU heavy game.

Last edited:
6700k will be just fine.

Given the 2500/2600k from Sandy Bridge are still viable today, I imagine the 6700k will be viable for a long while to come, at least for pure gaming. Even general content creation would still be viable on this chip. As stated above, you can go cheaper on the board.. The idea of sticking with the 'mainstream' chipset is that it's cheaper, but if you're buying a board that costs almost the same on Z170 compared to its X99 brother, it almost makes it 'silly' to go the mainstream chip.

Consider the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming instead, which should definitely save you a few bucks.

Back