• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this enough Wattage for my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lupus

I am about to order a new PSU and need to confirm it can support my system.

PSU: XFX 550W Core Edition 80+ Bronze PSU

RIG:
Kingston SSD V300 60Gb
Standard HDD
GTX 760
FX-8320
2x DDR3 1.5 1600mhz RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte AMD 78LMT-USB3
Im not sure if any more components need listing?

Will the PSU definitively run this PSU fail-safe or should i try look for a higher wattage.

Thank you

I am about to order a new PSU and need to confirm it can support my system.

PSU: XFX 550W Core Edition 80+ Bronze PSU

RIG:
Kingston SSD V300 60Gb
Standard HDD
GTX 760
FX-8320
2x DDR3 1.5 1600mhz RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte AMD 78LMT-USB3
Im not sure if any more components need listing?

Will the PSU definitively run this PSU fail-safe or should i try look for a higher wattage.

Thank you

Look for gold or platinum certified PSU if your going low wattage like this.

it'll be fine, that psu is quite good, i have the exact thing running dual GPUs, but granted with an i3

Still no really feedback if this PSU is adequate enough for my setup.

Still no really feedback if this PSU is adequate enough for my setup.
Posts #2, #4, and now this one say it's good enough.
It'll outlast that motherboard you intend to use with that 8320.

Gigabyte AMD 78LMT-USB3
You should be more concerned about the motherboard then the XFX Psu which are made by Seasonic and are regarded as one of the top manufacturers.

they say a photo is worth 1000 words :)
thatsa xfx 550 core running an i3 540 and a 6950+7870, also used this same psu to OC a 2500k to 5.4 in the past (with single gpu though), with dual would be pushing it im sure

Attachments

• farm2.jpg
    farm2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 65
You can run it on 550W PSU ... but will you be happy with noise and if it's going to live long ... I doubt.
FX8320 isn't Intel CPU. i3 = ~65W , FX = ~150W+.
You have already 400W+ full load on this setup so I would get at least 650W PSU.

Stock, no problems. Overclock, as woomack said it will work, but that PSU will be working hard pushing an overclocked octo (which is OK), but can be noisy...

Look for gold or platinum certified PSU if your going low wattage like this.
Why would the level of wattage matter in the efficiency rating of the PSU? Wouldn't one want the most efficient PSU they are willing to afford at any wattage level?

I3 - 65W
HD6950 - 200w
HD7870 - 150w
415w

FX - 150W
GTX760 - 150w
300w
.. id say that leaves a hefty 115w to spare

Not a problem. The motherboard will blow up before the PSU does. That limits CPU draw significantly.

( Not pointing my finger at you now TS)

i am sure that PSU can power a regular computer (i own of couple of those units myself, and i think they are great)

------------

Forget about the the thermal design, when you start to OC the stuff, a decent OC = +100% straight away, Extreme OC, even more, much more

often i see > help me choose my HW threads

yeah, thats cool, nothing wrong with that

HW for lets say 2K USD in the build..

But now for the fun part..

One of the most important HW in your computer is the PSU, and for some reason if the PSU is +100w above your systems power draw, or 30 USD to expensive, they go for a lower end unit (often the case fans are of greater importance), and if you do benchmarking, the PSU is one of the last corners you want to cut

some people think that a too powerful unit can damage the system (producing too much juice), thats not the case. Kill that myth

Isnt that strange?

same with tubing, 2K build, and they order 3 meter, 6m gets too expensive, lets do compromises instead using the 3m, when they find out that it wasn't enough to complete the build that day.. LOL,

Seen this many times.. its simply fascinating..

Dont have to be a Seasonic, Seasonic got just as many RMA's as any other leading PSU manufacturers

Reviewrs buy their PSU's from Amazon, just like the CPU frequency WR Holders does with their CPU..

Last edited:
You can run it on 550W PSU ... but will you be happy with noise and if it's going to live long ... I doubt.
FX8320 isn't Intel CPU. i3 = ~65W , FX = ~150W+.
You have already 400W+ full load on this setup so I would get at least 650W PSU.
Nah.

Bought on of these recently for a rebuild with some old things and hadn't seen many reviews, though a few here seemed to believe it was a Seasonic also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371071

Unless you're going triple GPU's 550 would work fine on a continuous power PSU I imagine.

But I tend to overbuy things like that just in case on the main rig myself, the one I put that in will never have more than one GPU in it anyway.

If it makes ya nervous maybe this one ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-072

But I'm sure many cheaper good ones out there, but the 650 even has a 20 buck rebate ATM, for 79 bucks looks a pretty good deal, for a 650W gold.

Considering it's as cheap as the 550 atm I'd go there and refute myself I guess.

:thup:

Last edited:
Back