• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this how Asus does business???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cool hokie!!!

hey op i have a friend that has been trying to contact someone at asus for over a month. He has been hung up on multiple times. All he was trying to do was confirm his warranty on a new laptop purchase. This story doesnt seem uncommon, i wish u all the best.

I had an X38 back in the day I had flashed to x48, worked flawlessly for months.
One day it just died, I had bought it off mwave as an open box. I called asus and they did an advanced rma and i had it in 3 days with paid shipping back.

They have different rma service tiers for different products it seems or at least they used to. My board automatically qualified for PREMIUM RMA SERVICE lol and It was open box.

Never had to rma a video card I dont think I have ever owned an ASUS card. They will make it right I hope, sometimes you just have to be nice and bite your tongue as you navigate through the stupid and the useless till you get what you need.

Good luck.

Galador, please PM me or email hokie at overclockers dot com with your (and/or your wife's) name, address and phone number. I have brought this to our ASUS representative's attention and they want your info to liaise with their support team to try and resolve your issue.

Thank you Hokie for the support, but an corporat Asus rep called the house today and informed us to ship the GTX 570 back then they will ship me a EAH6970.
He said they have no more new ones of that type so it will be a refurb. They are paying for the shipping.
Fair is fair.
I am not out to make a score on this by asking for 580 Fermi or such for the trouble, etc.
I just want what I paid for.
I also want to thank all the people whom participated with this forum topic. It was all very good advise and informative. Got a good group of people here and I am proud to be a member.
I just hope this refurb works when I get it :shock:

Last edited:
Hi Folks, This is my first post here on the boards. I post over at Tom's often but I was doing some research on the customer service of different company's for my new build next month.

I came upon this thread, what a crazy story. I actually have a good Asus story to share.

I have worked with Asus before. In Feb 2010 I purchased an M4A78T-E motherboard for an AMD build I was working on. The board worked well for about 2 months and then just began to flake out. Shutting down, errors and such. I did all the testing and finally traced the problem down to the board being at fault.

I went to the Asus website and began the RMA process. I got an RMA number within 4 hours and shipped the board out Fed-Ex to the Jeffersonville Indiana RMA center. They said the entire process would take 10 days give or take.

After 6 days I got an e-mail the board was on it's way back repaired. I got the board with some tech notes attached. They also flashed the bios (cool) to the current version in addition to the repair. I reinstalled the board and all was well with life again. Then in Septemeber the same problems came back. In addition it would no longer post after one of my restarts.

This time I called them and talked to a rep. A very nice lady who gave me her extension number and she told me to call her directly from now on. She sent me prepaid shipping labels this time and the board came back after 8 days or so and has been working fine ever since.

Just thought I would share that one. I have also heard many bad Asus storys but my personal experience has been very very good.

My original purpose for coming here as I said was researching company CS storys as Im trying to decide between a 6970 or a GTX570 myself and which brand to buy. Im going to finally replace my XFX HD4890 which has been working wonderfully since January 2010. Still plays every game well but it's just time to upgrade ;) I have come across many XFX horror storys via google so Im a little skeptical. Still the reviews at New Egg are still mostly positive on XFX cards.

Anyone have any experience with XFX ? My card never has had any issue's.

EDIT: Wow I just noticed I was in a Vendor discussion section. LOL Very cool. I need to poke around now.

Look forward to posting here.
Roger~

Last edited:
Thank you Hokie for the support, but an corporat Asus rep called the house today and informed us to ship the GTX 570 back then they will ship me a EAH6970.
He said they have no more new ones of that type so it will be a refurb. They are paying for the shipping.
Fair is fair.

I don't know man. After all that? I would be demanding a 7970 in your shoes. Had they RMA'd you a refurb in the first place, as is within their warranty fine print as an option at hand for them, so be it. But to send you a 570, and run you through the gutter, and only now offer a refurb 6970? Which you should have gotten in the first place and this thread shouldn't exist?

Fair is fair, and fair would have been a 6970 in the first place. The fact that you got a 570 is completely off the ridiculous chart. If you bought the red car 2, and I don't have any more new red car 2s to replace your red car model 2, then I will send you a red car model 3, because I am fair, I know I caused you trouble, and I want you to buy my brand again. What happened to the stories of "I RMA'd my 2 year old 8800 and they sent me a 270".

If the ASUS rep is still following this thread, I'm pretty offended at the mere existance of this situation. And offering what should have been in the first place at this point isn't enough. This guy should get the top model *bnib* AMD card for his trouble, time without GPU, nonsense over the phone, and to atone for the 570. JM2C.

Rogbur- I trust Newegg reviews about as much as I'd trust a random guy on the street asking me if I wanted to buy a bag of magic beans for $5 :). Welcome to the site :).

So somebody should give him a ~$200 upgrade for free because they made a mistake? I would strongly disagree with that. They made the situation right, which is what they should have done. It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, which sucks; but they made it right. They do have the option, with the user's consent, to change for a similarly-priced model (as the GTX570 is). Someone probably just made an error in the system and thought he had agreed to that.

Honestly, if your requirement for good customer service is that every time a customer service rep makes a mistake you expect an $200+ upgrade I'd not argue if you wanted to purchase from another company.

My original purpose for coming here as I said was researching company CS storys as Im trying to decide between a 6970 or a GTX570 myself and which brand to buy. Im going to finally replace my XFX HD4890 which has been working wonderfully since January 2010. Still plays every game well but it's just time to upgrade ;) I have come across many XFX horror storys via google so Im a little skeptical. Still the reviews at New Egg are still mostly positive on XFX cards.

Anyone have any experience with XFX ? My card never has had any issue's.

EDIT: Wow I just noticed I was in a Vendor discussion section. LOL Very cool. I need to poke around now.

Look forward to posting here.
Roger~

Roger,

One "hands on" experience with XFX. This only applies to a registered card.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678251

RT

Roger,

One "hands on" experience with XFX. This only applies to a registered card.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678251

RT

That story right there is the reason I have my trusty XFX HD5670 registered since day 1. :D

As for the OP's experience... I think it's all luck of the draw.

I had an Asus Rampage Extreme board die on me a few months ago, submitted my RMA request on-line and got an RMA number the same day; they even sent me a pre-paid label for shipping so all I had to do was pack the thing up and send it to them. After about six or seven working days; I got an email from Asus and it went something like this

We received the motherboard and it is indeed not operational. We don't carry any more boards of that model so you have the two following options:
1. We can send you a Rampage III Extreme in replacement.
2. We can try to repair your board. This option will take time as our techs will have to diagnose the board part by part and then try to replace the damaged components.
Please let us know what you prefer and we'll take care of the rest.

I emailed them back with Option 1 and a week later I had a brand spanking new R3E in my possession. :D

I think it all has to do with who handles your RMA on their side as well; some employees are just more diligent than others.

I wouldn't call intentionally disguising a card "making a mistake", personally.
Accidentally sending a 570 marked as a 570 is one thing, carefully applying a 6970 label to 570 is intentional and therefor not a mistake.

We may assume too much here.

Its possible there was a prankster in the warehouse (or some other area) who put that label there. They are probably highly dependent on that bar code being correct.

What I'm saying, is we don't know what the level of human interaction actually is. It should have been caught, but who knows if it was some minimum wage disgruntled employee, or bad management?

I like Asus product, I've had only 1 major failure in all the years I've had them. Last year my laptop was experiencing issues and it was still in warranty. I contacted ASUS about RMA for repair. They got mack to me 2 weeks later, seems they forgot to put up "CLosed for Chinese holiday" on their web site. :/ Not good IMO.

I did get my laptop fixed, it was a loose video cable between mainboard and LCD that caused the video issue + poorly installed wifi card antenna cables. I've been problem free since I fixed those.

Accidentally sending a 570 marked as a 570 is one thing, carefully applying a 6970 label to 570 is intentional and therefor not a mistake.

I agree. Pretty sure this was no mistake (my opinion only)

I think that Asus did not have another 6970 available at that time so they shipped me a GTX 570 from their stock.
Also placed the 6970 sticker on it so everything would match with the RMA on their books.

6970 and the GTX 570 do cost basically the same.

I think they did a quick fix without my consent which didn't produce the desired result.

I will now also consider other mobo/VGA brands before a purchase.
I no longer keep Asus on a high pedestal but this does in no way mean I will stop purchasing their brand.
My future systems will just be a little more mixed.

I have shipped the GTX 570 back to Asus yesterday, awaiting the 6970.

If the situation that Asus would have sent me a 7970 for the trouble I would not say no but as I see it I am getting what I paid for.

I am pretty sure Asus has noticed that this thread concerning them has been opened 769+ times which hopefully will make them inform the customer of any changes on their RMA's if needed.
Word of mouth is a very powerful thing.

Last edited:
Basically, if Asus would just use a bit of thought process and email the customer to inform him/her that they do not currently have an even exchange and then give the customer some control of the RMA process in a situation like this by giving options.

Only thing that may be difficult on that idea is that the customers needs to be reasonable.

At the same time I am a bit perplexed on why Asus no longer has EAH6970's. They need to keep some in stock for RMA purposes even if they stop selling them so this situation cannot rise again.
If the warrenty is for 3 years then Asus needs to keep some in stock 3 years after last purchase so the customers can recieve an even exchange if the item is not cost effective to repair.

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Basically, if Asus would just use a bit of thought process and email the customer to inform him/her that they do not currently have an even exchange and then give the customer some control of the RMA process in a situation like this by giving options.

Only thing that may be difficult on that idea is that the customers needs to be reasonable.

At the same time I am a bit perplexed on why Asus no longer has EAH6970's. They need to keep some in stock for RMA purposes even if they stop selling them so this situation cannot rise again.
If the warrenty is for 3 years then Asus needs to keep some in stock 3 years after last purchase so the customers can recieve an even exchange if the item is not cost effective to repair.

Just thinking out loud.

That is a very good point you bring up, galador. I recently RMA'ed an old EVGA 7900GTX vid card that I had bought new several years ago from Newegg. Since they have a lifetime warranty on the vid card, I figured they would send a newer card as a replacement. But lo and behold, when I received the replacement vid card it was another 7900GTX. I can't say if it was new or a repaired card, but it works just fine. And EVGA still had replacements for cards that were several years old.

I agree. Pretty sure this was no mistake (my opinion only)

I think that Asus did not have another 6970 available at that time so they shipped me a GTX 570 from their stock.
Also placed the 6970 sticker on it so everything would match with the RMA on their books.

I don't think it was done in an effort to "disguise" the card, hoping to pull a fast one over the consumer. I think it was more of an internal tracking thing. I don't think they expected galador to think he got another 6970 back from RMA.

Check the picture out.
Asus sent me a GTX 570 but here is "the rest of the story".

My wife purchased me a EAH6970/2DI2S/2GD5 for my birthday several months ago. It started to produce memory artifacts so I sent it in to Asus for repair.
This is what I recieved today ( see picture).
I thought it might be a mistake but not when they place a AMD EAH 6970 sticker over a GTX 570 sticker on a a GTX 570 card and call it "RMA complete."
Nowhere did they ask me by email ( which they have on record) if that will be sufficient.

Is this how Asus RMA dept. does business???

I do understand GTX 570 is close to EAH 6970 performance wise but the fact is that I am NOT a NVidia fan boy and want what I spent $400 on.
I called Asus appx 7 times to get this corrected and was informed a couple times that this will be passed to level 2.......then get hung up when on hold.

Anybody else gone through a similar situation like this with Asus service?
Personally I have purchased Asus brand for many years and won't knock their product but their service is very dissapointing this time.

I've had similar experiences with Asus RMA, not to mention Asus quality. I'm still surprised they're a go to brand. We had a board killing CPU's, we RMA'd it 3 times and got the same board back each time. Finally forcing a cross ship we got a different board and this was after nuking 3 processors.

Yep, Asus is really crappy in the RMA department. Fine when it works, absolutely terrible to RMA. that said, in my experience, the quality compared to it's competitors is equally bad. In general, I avoid Asus. For some reason though, I'm running an ASrock board, a subsidiary of Asus and they're products are amazing.

I agree with asus being too big, they have a product at every 5$ price point, which is just TOO MUCH in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dear lord. It seems everyone but me has had some kind of RMA gone bad. :shrug: My run in with Asus went soooo smoothly. I purchased a second hand Asus P8P67 Deluxe (B2 revision) and RMA'd to get the B3. Sent in just a board and not only got a new board back no questions asked, I was sent back a full retail set. They were timely and polite. I've had Seagate, Mushkin, Ultra (PSU) and XFX RMA assistance like this as well. :thup:

They can't change a B2 board label into a B3 board label, plus I think Intel was footing the bill for that RMA anyway.

Back