• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this how Asus does business???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's true. I've had decent RMA's other places as well. This one is about Asus though. Not sure how it would have gone if it was a different product. ;)

Update,

Recieved the EAH6970 yesterday and it works as intended.
It is a refurb ( minor unremovable dust marks on fan blades that comes with use)
No scratches, etc.
I am now satisfied.
Just a note, when I placed the EAH6970 back in the system I decided to remove the heatsink from my old Asus EAH4890 which is my backup VGA card. I was bored.

What I found was the interior of the heatsink that you cannot gain access to unless you remove the heatsink cover was 60-70% clogged with dust.

I have utilized air cans plenty of times on this card but it seems only way for a thorough cleaning is to remove the heatsink cover from time to time where air cannot help.
Yes, I cleaned and applied AS3 on the HS before reassembly :thup: .

But does that not void your warrenty even though if I had not cleaned the VGA card it would most likely overheat some time in the near future?

It shouldn't void your warranty. As long as you know what you're doing and don't damage the card while cleaning it, I think you'd be ok. I doubt anyone is going to check to see whether the TIM is the original chemical composition even if it's not within the specific terms of the warranty. Anything that lengthens the lifespan of the card is hard for a company to argue with.

Glad you have your card back and are happy with it!

I agree with Hokie. They won't mind. I changed the TIM on my motherboard as well and when the NB died, I sent it in for RMA and I was sent back a new one.

As I understand it, Asus doesn't care about changing the TIM or taking off the stock heatsink, but when you send the card in it has to have the original, unmodified, stock heatsink(s) in place.

Some companies don't even care if you conformal and voltmod the card, as long as the voltmods are removed before shipping it. Asus isn't on record as saying that, however, so I wouldn't try it.

well in that case, got any ideas on a good waterblock for the EAH6970??? Also a tried and true vendor would help.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121417

I would like the block to also cool the memory.

Kinda out of the loop when it comes to VGA water cooling since I have never done it before.

Hokie, looks to be right in your field of expertice.

I am currently utilizing the Swiftech H2O Ultra (in sig) on the system with 1/2" ID hose. It does a great job on cooling. Excellent water flow.

well in that case, got any ideas on a good waterblock for the EAH6970??? Also a tried and true vendor would help.

I would like the block to also cool the memory.

Kinda out of the loop when it comes to VGA water cooling since I have never done it before.

Hokie, looks to be right in your field of expertice.

I am currently utilizing the Swiftech H2O Ultra (in sig) on the system with 1/2" ID hose. It does a great job on cooling. Excellent water flow.

I'm not all that well versed in the differences between GPU blocks. I've always been a fan of EK and Swiftech. Being frugal, I'd go for a universal block + aluminum/copper heatsinks for the memory & MOSFETs. Full cover is easier but only fits your one card. Anyway, have a look around at Sidewinders.

this pic sums it up nicely.

Asus RMA is two-faced. Sometimes it's good, other times the problem isn't fixed....

Attachments

• 1292127051015.jpg
    1292127051015.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86

Being that yours is the reference design you'll have plenty of options.

EK Waterblocks makes the EK FC6970.
Swiftech makes the KOMODO HD6900
Heatkiller makes the GPU-X3 69X0
Koolance makes the VID-AR697
DangerDen makes the DD-6970-6950-V2
Alphacool makes teh Nexxos ATXP 6970 V2
Aquacomputer makes the Aqua GrATIx for 6970

And those are just some of the full cover blocks. You can also go the way Hokie suggested and use an universal GPU block for the GPU Core and regular copper heatsinks for the VRAM and other chips. :D

As for reputable e-Tailers... There are plenty.
FrozenCPU, Performance-PCs, sidewindercomputers, svc.com, heatsinkfactory, xoxide, aquatuning.us, etc.

Being that yours is the reference design you'll have plenty of options.

EK Waterblocks makes the EK FC6970.
Swiftech makes the KOMODO HD6900
Heatkiller makes the GPU-X3 69X0
Koolance makes the VID-AR697
DangerDen makes the DD-6970-6950-V2
Alphacool makes teh Nexxos ATXP 6970 V2
Aquacomputer makes the Aqua GrATIx for 6970

And those are just some of the full cover blocks. You can also go the way Hokie suggested and use an universal GPU block for the GPU Core and regular copper heatsinks for the VRAM and other chips. :D

As for reputable e-Tailers... There are plenty.
FrozenCPU, Performance-PCs, sidewindercomputers, svc.com, heatsinkfactory, xoxide, aquatuning.us, etc.

Thank you.
That is good information.
Leaning towards the EK FC6970

Meh, still better than Gigabyte's tech support.
Emailing them about their 990FXA-D3 and UD5 motherboards not being able to POST properly and them replying "Do you have the latest Windows updates installed and is your copy of Windows 7 genuine?" :shrug:

Meh, still better than Gigabyte's tech support.
Emailing them about their 990FXA-D3 and UD5 motherboards not being able to POST properly and them replying "Do you have the latest Windows updates installed and is your copy of Windows 7 genuine?" :shrug:

Do they even know what POST stands for?

Have you tried to call them and see if you can get in contact with somebody that actually understands.

Last edited:
Do they even know what POST stands for?
The past 5000 guys that have contacted me didn't.
They kept asking me the same questions.. "did you try a different keyboard?", "have you tried the latest BIOS update available on the website?", "do you have all windows 7 updates installed?", "is your copy of Windows 7 genuine" & etc... :shrug:
I've literally told them to stop treating me like an idiot 5 times or so, yet they still keep on doing that. :-/
Latest reply I've got stated, that I'll get contacted by another department that will ask me for my keyboard's model so they can test with it... :facepalm:
Been waiting since a week for those lazy MFers.

<Galador>
My wife called Newegg today whom she origionally purchased it from and spoke to a sales rep who sent my wife a questionaire concerning this issue because we were not getting anywhere with Asus.
My wife is also upset about it. I did not know she did that till about an hour ago.
Not sure what Newegg can do about since it is past Newegg exchange time limit but crossing fingers.
Kinda miss the days when they covered the VGA cards for 1 year instead of 30 days, it was a speedy exchange and great service ( personally speaking).
Asus shipping a VGA downgrade to a customer on a RMA will not help Asus keep that customer. Next time he will attempt to find another brand.

I have always had good luck with both ASUS products and support. Though my last simple question to them was about a driver for my P8P67 Pro motherboard.
The response was (and I kid you not), "If everything is working without the driver, then I wouldn't worry about it." I was pretty stunned at that answer. I am still okay with ASUS products and support overall though. If I get more of the same of type answers, that will change.

<Galador>
Newegg has been very supportive on all the products I have bought from them if it had issues.

While I agree that Newegg customer support is very good, the problem is, until the last few years, I never had to use their customer support! Having to use a companies CS often, since you said, "on all the products," or comparably often (compared to other etailers/vendors - local stores) is a problem in their house. A problem that for me at least, is growing in frequency. It is possible you need to look for a new vendor as well as a new brand.

Last edited:
Back