• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumped Ship, new 3770k user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol

I don't mind being banned from there... my mustang was so unreliable it just made me hate mustangs... well, Ford in general

My family has been traditionally a Ford family... I had some problems with my 06 Mustang (V6, automatic) with the rear end howling like mad, but my 09 GT doesn't have those problems. I race my 09 (Autocross, corner carving, no drag racing for me!) and have been pleased with it's reliability and efficiency and the performance is good enough for what I do! I can see how certain experiences would lead to a hatred of a certain brand. I've not had much positive with the other two US manufacturers but I can respect the directions they are going and the cars they do produce. They certainly aren't for me!

Pulling us back on topic a bit, Prime95 is still chugging away, 4.5hrs later, no errors, max temps are still the same as they were before. Water temp is now 32ºC so apparently the new version of Prime95 keeps the heat in the processor a little more and it's heating up my water. It's kind of nice to have the water temp sensor! :)

I wish I knew better what all the options were in the BIOS... One thing that ASRock has really let me down on is those descriptions. I guess I shouldn't expect much being as the board WAS intended for serious overclockers who generally know what all that stuff is. It still wouldn't hurt to have better descriptions of what they do for those of us trying to become more serious overclockers!

It's the opposite here, we've had 3 fords and all have been really unreliable, the windstar we had went through 3 water pumps and it eventually blew the engine in less than 80K miles. My 06 mustang gt had issues with everything, down to the paint flaking and rust bubbling through the paint (and the service is horrendous here). Toyotas are the workhorse in my house, we've had 4 and all have been spectacular.

I now drive an 02 BMW 530 that I abuse the hell out of... it has it's faults, but it's damn fun to drive, and it sticks to corners like the mustang only wished it could. Sadly it's automatic... and I really really miss driving manual.

but, back on topic again.

I normally do a 12 hour prime run to check stability, after that, there's no better way to check that stability than leaving it folding 24/7 :D

As far as bios options, I just know vcore, vdimm, and llc, that's all I need... lol

It's the opposite here, we've had 3 fords and all have been really unreliable, the windstar we had went through 3 water pumps and it eventually blew the engine in less than 80K miles. My 06 mustang gt had issues with everything, down to the paint flaking and rust bubbling through the paint (and the service is horrendous here). Toyotas are the workhorse in my house, we've had 4 and all have been spectacular.

I now drive an 02 BMW 530 that I abuse the hell out of... it has it's faults, but it's damn fun to drive, and it sticks to corners like the mustang only wished it could. Sadly it's automatic... and I really really miss driving manual.

but, back on topic again.

I normally do a 12 hour prime run to check stability, after that, there's no better way to check that stability than leaving it folding 24/7 :D

No doubt BMW's love hugging those corners! The class I race in is predominantly E36 M3's and RX8's and now BRZ/FRS cars. It's hard to put a 3800 lb car (with driver) against those cars on 265 wide tires and 9" rims. That said, my car does pretty well considering how under prepped it is for the class I run in.

Anyway! :p

If things continue to go well I will let it run to 12 hours. No doubt about that. I wouldn't complain about a 24/7 4.8GHz overclock with these temperatures! I was quite surprised by the drop in temps from delidding. I went from 94 at the hottest core to 72 at the same speed. That's pretty astonishing! I wish Intel would have done this correctly from the get go...

Yeah, it does xD Except when you screw up your socket pins like me cause of a moving ihs when pressing the retention latch in place :(
(Yay RD!)

Shy... don't mention that... I remounted my ivy like 4 times after deciding... quite scary hearing the pins scrape as I clamped it down...

(RD is awesome)

Meh to fantastic temperature results, or a dead CPU. No warranty either way, and if you raise the voltage to take advantage of the lower temps you'll end up with a dead CPU faster.

I don't recommend it, unless you have $300 to (literally) burn and are benching the CPU.

Meh to fantastic temperature results, or a dead CPU. No warranty either way, and if you raise the voltage to take advantage of the lower temps you'll end up with a dead CPU faster.

I don't recommend it, unless you have $300 to (literally) burn and are benching the CPU.

Can you, by experience, say that it will kill the cpu? I ran a i7 950 at 90c for 2 years and it's still running to this day, i also pushed 1.8v through a Q6700 while benchmarking and kept it at 1.6 volts 24/7 and its still working perfectly after 4 years. So far your argument of high voltages killing cpus is just an assumption, and a poor one at that.

Its science sir... cant fade science. The reality is nobody knows exactly how long running voltage over spec will shorten the life span but it does. Intel says it, AMD says it, and even they cant quantify it, so how can he? I mean you could have a good core from the wafer and be an anomoly, you nor I will know, ya know? LOL!

That said, I killed a 2600K at a mere 1.55v with temps well in check... perhaps mine was from a weak part of the wafer, who knows.

Bottom line is delidding isnt for the faint of heart...Im not faint, and wont do it as its just not worth it... to me. To each their own though Luis. :)

If nothing else the lower temperatures make me feel better. It means I can run this overclock all summer too without issues of temperature. It was a nifty experiment with potentially disastrous results.

That said, in about 2 hours my computer will have run balls to the walls for 24 hours. Max temps are still 69/76/76/72. Water temps are between 30ºC-32ºC with ambient temperature supposed to be 21ºC per the thermostat however the case ambient temperature sensor is reading 23ºC with the side of the case open (still looking to make sure no leaks are developing in the WC loop). Not sure what to believe is the temperature of the air.

SB-Es are starting to fall by the wayside now, having been run at "only" 1.4-1.5 volts with good temps. It'll be a bit before we see it, but I've seen dead IBs from voltage, yes.
The 65nm Intel parts were nearly impossible to kill with voltage, very very difficult.
I personally killed a 980x with vcore that was within the "reasonable" range and excellent temps.

Plenty of GPUs, too. Voltage kills, it does not require high temperature to kill (though it helps), and it kills each individual die at a rate specific to that die.

You don't mention a voltage on the 950, a low (near-stock) voltage 950 can be run at 90c for years and years and years, we're talking death via voltage here, not temps.

SB-Es are starting to fall by the wayside now, having been run at "only" 1.4-1.5 volts with good temps. It'll be a bit before we see it, but I've seen dead IBs from voltage, yes.
The 65nm Intel parts were nearly impossible to kill with voltage, very very difficult.
I personally killed a 980x with vcore that was within the "reasonable" range and excellent temps.

Plenty of GPUs, too. Voltage kills, it does not require high temperature to kill (though it helps), and it kills each individual die at a rate specific to that die.

You don't mention a voltage on the 950, a low (near-stock) voltage 950 can be run at 90c for years and years and years, we're talking death via voltage here, not temps.

1.4v, it was only cooled with a Hyper 212 +

Not especially high voltage than, is it?

never pushed more than 1.5 since it hit 100C and throttled down during benchmarks, so no, but was only limited due to the air cooling.

I pushed 1.75 volts through my 3770K and it's still fine, I also leave my PC on 24/7 folding, and so far it's been fine with 1.45v.

1.6v has killed 3770ks rather abruptly on this very forum. Like I said somewhere, every chip varies.

Like I said earlier, I would love to hear from Intel in regards to what their "max voltage" actually means. If that voltage is what causes a processor to give up the ghost (or degrade) before their 3 year mark for warranty claims or if that means that running above this will result in near instant death or what.

I still find it quite ironic that Intel makes K models of their chips with unlocked multipliers for "enthusiasts" yet denies warranty claims related to overclocking. I hear they have an "extended warranty" that covers overclocking (but not de-lidding) for an extra fee. It reminds me a lot of all of these new sports cars coming out with "Track Packages" or cars that claim the heritage of race cars of ole (Boss 302 comes to mind immediately but there is more than that out there) and then promptly denies any warranty claims of bone stock cars that stepped foot on a race track. Seems awfully stupid to have something called "Track Pack" then not warranty claims when one is actually taken there completely stock with no changes at all.

That's just an aside though... what I'm really doing is killing time for another 5 minutes when I can turn off Prime95 and actually use my computer for more than surfing again... :)

Back